• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Biblical Mary!

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist

1 Corinthians 4:3 But with me it is a very small thing that I should be judged by you or by any human court. In fact, I do not even judge myself.​

jimb

Premium Member
And you just swallow that. SMH
Yes, I believe God's word. Since you obviously don't, is their where your Judaism has led you???
I have experienced faith myself. I feel very sad that you haven't and find it necessary to criticize. In the words of Bob Dylan, "And don't criticize what you don't understand"

Kathryn

It was on fire when I laid down on it.
I have read them and other "books" that aren't in most Bibles. If you're interested, have a look at "The New New Testament", edited by Hal Taussig. I keep my mind open to other writings that aren't "official".
No but thanks anyway. I've read them and others as well.

IndigoChild5559

Loving God and my neighbor as myself.
Yes, I believe God's word.
Your assuming that your Bible is God's word. A Muslim feels the same about the Quran. What makes him wrong and you right? He has all the same stories about what a difference it has made in his life, and how the Quran knew scientific truths before science discovered them, and how the Quran has been preserved, and other "evidences." In the end, believing any text is God's word is simply blind faith.
Since you obviously don't, is their where your Judaism has led you???
Religious Jews have quite a range of approaches to our sacred texts (Tanakh, Talmud, writings of the Sages). There are Jews who are literalists such as yourself. There are Jews who feel, "Well, it happened, but probably not exactly this way." There are Jews who say "This part is myth and that part is not."
I have experienced faith myself. I feel very sad that you haven't and find it necessary to criticize. In the words of Bob Dylan, "And don't criticize what you don't understand"
I find this remark bizarre. It assumes that I don't have faith, which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact that my beliefs are different from yours is not the same thing as me not having faith.

jimb

Premium Member
Your assuming that your Bible is God's word. A Muslim feels the same about the Quran. What makes him wrong and you right? He has all the same stories about what a difference it has made in his life, and how the Quran knew scientific truths before science discovered them, and how the Quran has been preserved, and other "evidences." In the end, believing any text is God's word is simply blind faith.

Religious Jews have quite a range of approaches to our sacred texts (Tanakh, Talmud, writings of the Sages). There are Jews who are literalists such as yourself. There are Jews who feel, "Well, it happened, but probably not exactly this way." There are Jews who say "This part is myth and that part is not."

I find this remark bizarre. It assumes that I don't have faith, which couldn't be further from the truth. The fact that my beliefs are different from yours is not the same thing as me not having faith.
a) To me and many others, the Bible is God's word. It's not important to me if others decide that what they have is God's word.
b) Believing any text is God's word is simply blind faith to you, perhaps. To me and many, many others it is fact.
c) What Jews believe (or don't believe) about God's word is not important to me.
d) I don't just "swallow" what God's word clearly says. That comment shows that you don't have any understanding of God's word. I find that sad! Isn't the Torah sacred in your synagogue, or is it just an ornament?

IndigoChild5559

a) To me and many others, the Bible is God's word. It's not important to me if others decide that what they have is God's word.
If you want to believe the Bible is God's word, I'm fine with that. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.
b) Believing any text is God's word is simply blind faith to you, perhaps. To me and many, many others it is fact.
A fact is something that can be proven. You cannot prove that the Bible is God's word. You have FAITH that it is God's word. Big difference.
c) What Jews believe (or don't believe) about God's word is not important to me.
Then why did you ASK about it? Sheesh. You said, quote, " is their [sic] where your Judaism has led you???" But you expected me not to answer?
d) I don't just "swallow" what God's word clearly says.
I'm not sure why you put "swallow" in quotes. It kind of makes it seem like you are quoting me, but I overlooked my post, and I couldn't find anywhere I used that word.

It seems here that you are claiming you don't have blind faith. But the evidence here is that this is exactly the case. It's absolutely no different than a Mormon accepting the Book of Mormon as God's word.
That comment shows that you don't have any understanding of God's word. I find that sad! Isn't the Torah sacred in your synagogue, or is it just an ornament?
Absolutely. The Torah is very dear, not just to my synagogue, but to me personally. And not just the Torah, but the entire Tanakh (Torah, Prophets, and Writings) as well as the Talmud and the writings of the sages. But I and my synagogue (Conservative movement) believe these books have authority via the common consent of the community, not because God came down and dictated word for word the book of Ruth or whatever.

jimb

Premium Member
If you want to believe the Bible is God's word, I'm fine with that. I don't expect everyone to agree with me.

A fact is something that can be proven. You cannot prove that the Bible is God's word. You have FAITH that it is God's word. Big difference.

Then why did you ASK about it? Sheesh. You said, quote, " is their [sic] where your Judaism has led you???" But you expected me not to answer?

I'm not sure why you put "swallow" in quotes. It kind of makes it seem like you are quoting me, but I overlooked my post, and I couldn't find anywhere I used that word.

It seems here that you are claiming you don't have blind faith. But the evidence here is that this is exactly the case. It's absolutely no different than a Mormon accepting the Book of Mormon as God's word.

Absolutely. The Torah is very dear, not just to my synagogue, but to me personally. And not just the Torah, but the entire Tanakh (Torah, Prophets, and Writings) as well as the Talmud and the writings of the sages. But I and my synagogue (Conservative movement) believe these books have authority via the common consent of the community, not because God came down and dictated word for word the book of Ruth or whatever.
"Blind faith" describes your understanding more than reality. Why can't you understand what Hebrews 11:1 says? "FAITH IS BEING SURE of what you hope for and CERTAIN of what you cannot see". SURE and CERTAIN. There is no doubt; the proof is real!

Frankly, your post shows a serious lack of comprehension of real faith. That is not surprising. It's like saying that love is fiction because you've never experienced it. FAITH IS REAL!!!

IndigoChild5559

"Blind faith" describes your understanding more than reality. Why can't you understand what Hebrews 11:1 says? "FAITH IS BEING SURE of what you hope for and CERTAIN of what you cannot see". SURE and CERTAIN. There is no doubt; the proof is real!
You are making conclusions that just don't follow. Let's assume that you are 100% sure of something. It does NOT follow that there was proof, or that it is correct. There are a minority of people in Ireland who are 100% certain that Leprechauns exist. It doesn't mean that evidence of Leprechauns exist, nor does it mean that Leprechauns exist.

Facts are things that are proven. Facts are things that you KNOW, not things that you have faith in. If it is an item of faith, it means that it is NOT something you know.

jimb

Premium Member
You are making conclusions that just don't follow. Let's assume that you are 100% sure of something. It does NOT follow that there was proof, or that it is correct. There are a minority of people in Ireland who are 100% certain that Leprechauns exist. It doesn't mean that evidence of Leprechauns exist, nor does it mean that Leprechauns exist.

Facts are things that are proven. Facts are things that you KNOW, not things that you have faith in. If it is an item of faith, it means that it is NOT something you know.
Why should I accept what you say instead of what the Bible says?

Again (and again and again ... and again): Hebrews 11:1

"Now faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things not seen." 21st Century King James Version
"Now faith is the assurance (title deed, confirmation) of things hoped for (divinely guaranteed), and the evidence of things not seen [the conviction of their realityfaith comprehends as fact what cannot be experienced by the physical senses]." Amplified Bible
"Now faith is the reality of what is hoped for, the proof of what is not seen." Christian Standard Bible
"Faith is the reality of what we hope for, the proof of what we don’t see." Common English Bible
"Now faith is the assurance that what we hope for will come about and the certainty that what we cannot see exists." International Standard Version

Frankly, I'm getting tired of citing EVERY SINGLE VERSION, all of which say the same thing. FAITH IS SOMETHING THAT YOU KNOW!!!

If you don't understand that, there is nothing more I can do to explain it to you!!! I will not discuss this with you any further! Either you understand what faith is (not what you incorrectly think it is) or you don't.