• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Biblical" homosexual marriages and marriages between men and animals

wellwisher

The bible was being practical. Homosexual sex is not sanitary and will often lead to diseases that can cause injury and death. Back then, they did not have modern medicine to compensate for the biological backlash. Modern medicine creates an illusion that money can buy, that was not around back then.

We could run a social experiment where we take away all modern medicine and medical related precautions and allow homosexuality to go untethered and natural. Then we can see what happens. This is what the ancients would have witnessed by default. It appears they decided to address the problem by making it taboo, for the sake of all. We take away tobacco to save people from themselves.

The analogy is tobacco is not healthy for you. But say medicine came up with a pill that reversed the affect of tobacco. Does this make tobacco good for you? The answer depends on where in time you look and whether you realize medical prosthesis is part of the equation.

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV
If I had had any doubts about my point they would have disappeared with all the purposeful derailing going on in this thread.
Derailing?

You compare "having sex with animals" with "having sex with animals"
I call this comparing apples with oranges, and I don't see this as derailing the thread
But I respect your opinion

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
Haven't you noticed how frequently Christians (and/or those speaking for Christianity for whatever reason) on this forum use those verses to prove their point? Don't you know I can make the same claim using only the NT by altering my wording slightly? Don't you know many laws of the OT actually apply to Christians still today?

And I am not required to, nor do I intend to, pretend for a moment that the lies of the Christians on that regard are true.

Yes, use Romans 1 and two rather to make the point. Not the OT.

The OT laws do not apply to Christians as per the NT. (Read Romans). I am aware that fundamentalists use the OT as "principles" for use in guidelines but they are really contradicting their own stand on the matter.

It is interesting that you say "lies". That is a very childish way to look at things. Especially considering that you aren't representing the pro homosexual marriage argument correctly.

Also, please present the pro homosexual marriage argument, otherwise you might as well be setting up a strawman. And also how their argument relates to bestiality.

I agree that the Bible isn't pro homosexual marriage but your argument against it is lacking.

Valjean

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Is it a question of faith and ethics? If you fly for a good reason and not too often, I don't see it being against the Bible. It is beside the topic, however.
How would a same-sex marriage be unethical? Where's the harm in it?
And why should people care? It's not they that have to live with the questionable partner.

Is ethics determined by divine command, or by consequences?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
If you accept homosexual marriages as biblical, shouldn't you by the same logic also accept marriages between human beings and animals, as biblical?

Of course, Exodus 22:19 does say:

“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death."

And other similar passages can be found in the Bible.

What Does the Bible Say About Having Sex With Animals?

But surely this can be pushed aside with the same logic as you push aside this:

Leviticus 20:13
“ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

25 Bible Verses about Homosexuality - What Does Scripture Say?

Homosexuality and same-sex marriage doesn't exist in the bible both Old and New testament. Only same-sex acts by any person and emphasis on marriage (or commitment) between man and woman.

Also, having sex with animals and having same-sex sex is an insult in comparison. I can see why you correlate it according to the bible. Both same-sex sex and bestiality are based on lust "in the bible". It's not homosexuality; that's the problem.

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
If you accept homosexual marriages as biblical, shouldn't you by the same logic also accept marriages between human beings and animals, as biblical?

“ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

So, just to make things easier for you:

What arguments do some Christians use to reach the conclusion that the Bible does not teach against same sex marriage?

How is their argument wrong?

How does their argument relate to "therefore, by their logic, marriage between animals and humans, is biblical"?

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member

animals can't give informed consent, nor do they follow the bible, quran, or any other religious tome written by men.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Human-animal marriages are Biblical.

Read Genesis: Eve is God's Plan B for Adam. God first offers each of the animals to Adam as a "partner." God only creates Eve because Adam doesn't find any of the animals to his liking.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
That's really beside the topic as I said, 'if you accept homosexual marriages as biblical..' this question is directed particularly to those who do claim homosexual marriages are biblical.
... and, apparently, to people who think the Bible never contradicts itself.

There are Biblical passage that support same-sex marriage; there are passages that condemn it.

There are passages that support eating pork; there are passages that condemn it.

On pretty much any issue, whatever side you're on, you can find a Biblical passage that supports your view. The Bible is useless as a moral guide.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
animals can't give informed consent, nor do they follow the bible, quran, or any other religious tome written by men.
FWIW, to be fair to @Piculet , informed consent doesn't really matter in the Biblical model of marriage even between humans. "Biblical marriage" is a dehumanizing, degrading property transaction between a groom and the bride's father.

Left Coast

This Is Water
Staff member
Premium Member

You are really fixated on announcing how against homosexuality you are.

Do you have something to share?

A Vestigial Mote

EXACTLY like in your other thread about pedophilial inclinations - the problem you are most certainly going to run into with "animal marriage" is establishing CONSENT. Does the animal consent to the marriage? How can you tell? Does the animal even understand the concept of "marriage?" Again - how can you tell?

And don't think I didn't take note of the fact that you completely stopped responding to me after I brick-walled you and completely destroyed your objections when I used the word "consent" with regard to children and sexual acts in that other thread. I did take note - and it was obvious why you stopped replying - because you no longer had any possible recourse in the conversation that wouldn't expose you as immoral and despicable.

Thief

Rogue Theologian
The bible was being practical. Homosexual sex is not sanitary and will often lead to diseases that can cause injury and death. Back then, they did not have modern medicine to compensate for the biological backlash. Modern medicine creates an illusion that money can buy, that was not around back then.

We could run a social experiment where we take away all modern medicine and medical related precautions and allow homosexuality to go untethered and natural. Then we can see what happens. This is what the ancients would have witnessed by default. It appears they decided to address the problem by making it taboo, for the sake of all. We take away tobacco to save people from themselves.

The analogy is tobacco is not healthy for you. But say medicine came up with a pill that reversed the affect of tobacco. Does this make tobacco good for you? The answer depends on where in time you look and whether you realize medical prosthesis is part of the equation.
so....if we can fix the sin with chemistry
it's not a sin anymore

????

Fool

ALL in all
Premium Member
FWIW, to be fair to @Piculet , informed consent doesn't really matter in the Biblical model of marriage even between humans. "Biblical marriage" is a dehumanizing, degrading property transaction between a groom and the bride's father.
basically another form of enslavement, or service to self, yes.

Piculet

What about the sixth Commandment "Thou shall not kill"?
Unjust killing?
I get the feeling that you agree with this verse, do you?
I don't believe in the Bible. Islam condemns homosexual acts, however.
Whatever Spiritual Book, whichever verse, I never follow their instructions blindly, do you?
I believe in the Qur'an and I follow what it says to the best of my ability, whether I understand the wisdom behind each matter or not (I do not). This is beside the topic though.
But you conceded that flying in jet aircraft is not "biblical". Plent
I don't believe I said or implied so.
And you then proposed, very sensibly, that the issue of homosexual marriage is one of ethics and faith.
No. I did not. You misunderstood me.
So far as I know, nobody claims homosexual marriage is "biblical"
Some on this very forum claim it is not against the Bible.
There is nothing against homosexuality in the gospels, so far as I kno
"Romans 1
26 Because of this, God gave them over to shameful lusts. Even their women exchanged natural sexual relations for unnatural ones. 27 In the same way the men also abandoned natural relations with women and were inflamed with lust for one another. Men committed shameful acts with other men, and received in themselves the due penalty for their error"

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Whatever Spiritual Book, whichever verse, I never follow their instructions blindly, do you?

I believe in the Qur'an and I follow what it says to the best of my ability, whether I understand the wisdom behind each matter or not (I do not). This is beside the topic though.
For me this clearly is not beside the topic