• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

"Biblical" homosexual marriages and marriages between men and animals

Piculet

If you accept homosexual marriages as biblical, shouldn't you by the same logic also accept marriages between human beings and animals, as biblical?

Of course, Exodus 22:19 does say:

“Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death."

And other similar passages can be found in the Bible.

What Does the Bible Say About Having Sex With Animals?

But surely this can be pushed aside with the same logic as you push aside this:

Leviticus 20:13
“ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

25 Bible Verses about Homosexuality - What Does Scripture Say?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
If you accept homosexual marriages as biblical, shouldn't you by the same logic also accept marriages between human beings and animals, as biblical?

“ ‘If a man has sexual relations with a man as one does with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They are to be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads."

WHAT?!!!

exchemist

Veteran Member

Do you think flying in a jet aircraft is "biblical"?

Piculet

Why should we give any sort of authority to the Bible or any other sacred book when it comes to marriages?
That's really beside the topic as I said, 'if you accept homosexual marriages as biblical..' this question is directed particularly to those who do claim homosexual marriages are biblical.

exchemist

Veteran Member
Is it a question of faith and ethics? If you fly for a good reason and not too often, I don't see it being against the Bible. It is beside the topic, however.
Exactly. So it is a question of faith and ethics, not of whether something happens to be in the bible or not, right?

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
That's really beside the topic as I said, 'if you accept homosexual marriages as biblical..' this question is directed particularly to those who do claim homosexual marriages are biblical.

So why are you posting OT scriptures saying that homosexual marriages are no permissable? And why are you associating that with bestiality?

Rival

se Dex me saut.
Staff member
Premium Member
The point here is that the Bible condemns male same sex intercourse. Intercourse is needed to consummate a marriage. The logical conclusion here is that there can be no such thing as a Biblical gay marriage. That has been the position of Orthodox Judaism and most of Christianity for centuries.

So no one is telling you that you can't have a same sex marriage. Just don't call it Biblical.

Piculet

Exactly. So it is a question of faith and ethics, not of whether something happens to be in the bible or not, right?
No. That's not at all what I meant.
That has been the position of Orthodox Judaism and most of Christianity for centuries
True, but things have changed alarmingly in the last couple of decades. The Christian Post published an article related to the issue yesterday:
Why evangelicals can no longer avoid addressing sexuality

stvdv

Veteran Member: I Share (not Debate) my POV

Some people try to compare apples with oranges to prove their point. Does this prove their point?

stvdv

I get the feeling that you agree with this verse, do you?

stvdv

Whatever Spiritual Book, whichever verse, I never follow their instructions blindly, do you?

Last edited:

stvdv

IMHO:
This verse I see as a test of God, just like God tested a man in the Bible to offer/kill his own son

What about the sixth Commandment "Thou shall not kill"?

The trick with the Bible and other Scriptures is, that all Commandments should be honored:).
Quite tricky. And they needed a lot of BrainPower in the old days ... now you need a lot of GooglePower

exchemist

Veteran Member
No. That's not at all what I meant.

But you conceded that flying in jet aircraft is not "biblical". Plenty of things in the modern world are not "biblical". And you then proposed, very sensibly, that the issue of homosexual marriage is one of ethics and faith. I agree.

So far as I know, nobody claims homosexual marriage is "biblical". However many liberal Christians would claim that it is consistent with Christian faith and ethics. Bear in mind that Christians do not observe all the rules laid down in the Old Testament, because they are guided principally by the New Testament. There is nothing against homosexuality in the gospels, so far as I know.

stvdv

Whoever lies with an animal shall be put to death."

And beware:
While blindly following Leviticus verse 20:13 weirdly believing you follow Matthew 22 verse 37 too
That you continue reading Matthew 22 verse 39+40, while killing the gays as per Leviticus instructions

upload_2020-6-26_11-23-50.png

Samael_Khan

Goosebender
I think the OP is clear enough.

No it isn't because you aren't showing the reasoning why some people (I am assuming Christians here) say homosexuality is OK. What is their argument for their case? You say they push aside verses but you aren't giving their reasons as to WHY they push them aside.

You are just showing verses that say that it isn't OK but not the argument of the people you are referring to.

And if it is a certain Christian viewpoint that you are mentioning , why are you quoting OT verses when Christians believe that they are under a new Covenant and therefore not under OT law?

Piculet

Some people try to compare apples with oranges to prove their point. Does this prove their point?
If I had had any doubts about my point they would have disappeared with all the purposeful derailing going on in this thread.

Piculet

And if it is a certain Christian viewpoint that you are mentioning , why are you quoting OT verses when Christians believe that they are under a new Covenant and therefore not under OT law?
Haven't you noticed how frequently Christians (and/or those speaking for Christianity for whatever reason) on this forum use those verses to prove their point? Don't you know I can make the same claim using only the NT by altering my wording slightly? Don't you know many laws of the OT actually apply to Christians still today?

And I am not required to, nor do I intend to, pretend for a moment that the lies of the Christians on that regard are true.