• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

bible vs Bible

Sgt. Pepper

All you need is love.
Everybody, theists and atheists, have started to write the title of a book with lowercase letter b.
Why not Bible? Who has taught you to blaspheme the Holy Bible?

The order to blaspheme Bible must have original source. Is it Big Bang?

What makes you think that writing the word bible in a lower case b is blaspheming it?

The Hammer

[REDACTED]
Premium Member
Everybody, theists and atheists, have started to write the title of a book with lowercase letter b.

Capitalisation does not equate to importance imo

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
Bibliothek in German. I guess it is pretty common. Makes me wonder why English uses library (which comes from the Roman "libris", the book).

In Italian it's biblioteca.

Now you got me doing a bit of Google..

Both bibliotec and library are from latin roots, bibliotheca meaning book room and liber meaning book.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's a title, so I capitalize it just as I would the New York Times.

Since I suspect you capitalize the New York Times as well, tell me ─ do you do so because you think it's holy?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

Rest assured this is entirely encouraged by you and no one or nothing else is to blame.
bible.
That wasn't a typo, but you are probably getting worked up over one.

QuestioningMind

I don't believe in blaspheme, so it doesn't matter if I capitalize the name of your book.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
Weren't you whining about people not capitalizing proper nouns?

He seems to have this strange idea that you capitalise them if you are indicating respect or something.

It's been 20 years+ since I was a teacher, and that still leaves me somewhat irritated.

Heyo

Veteran Member
Rest assured this is entirely encouraged by you and no one or nothing else is to blame.
bible.
That wasn't a typo, but you are probably getting worked up over one.
That is sooo wrong. Words at the beginning of a sentence are always capitalized.

fantome profane

Anti-Woke = Anti-Justice
Premium Member
fun fact. the hebrew alphabet that was used to write a large portion of the bible has no capital letters.

for what it is worth.

Tinker Grey

Wanderer
In this context, the word we're looking for is blasphemy, not blaspheme. The first is the noun; the second the verb.

Or, perhaps, I should write Blasphemy.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
God generally starts in capital letter. Scriptures too. No particular reason except tradition.
I suppose in case of books, the whole name should be in capitals.