• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Traslated Correctly

St Giordano Bruno

It is very hard for the Bible to escape a syntactic train wreck after just a few translations down through the languages. As a kid just reading through the Bible was a most tedious reading experience, which I put down to a rather sloppy translation from Vulgate Latin to English. It certainly was not one of those kinds of Books you cannot put like Moby Dick was when I was a kid.

JacobEzra.

Dr. Greenthumb
The Latin Vulgate. You just brought back memories of when I was an alter boy in the 1940s and 50s.

Now waiting to hear Father Murphy's "Dominus Vobiscum" Which to me always sounded like he was saying "Donuts and Biscuits"

lol Donuts and Biscuits? :drool:

St Giordano Bruno

I was waiting for the priest come up with "Me a cowboy, me a cowboy, me a Mexican cowboy" (Mea culpa, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa) I thought they were the only words I understood.

Villager

Actually there are several HUGE issues with translation that many linguists and theology scholars have brought up.
One is that it says "God separated Heaven and earth, instead of Created" another is the commonly disputed "Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live" which in the Hebrew has been said to more accurately describe a person who poisons others or uses magic to harm others. Not a practitioner of magic itself.
Did it make any difference? Those who practised magic, or claimed to practise magic, displayed a lack of faith that was preposterously inappropriate in a company that had made a covenant to keep faith with the deity that had displayed miracles on its behalf. There was no harmless magic in Israel.

Context, context.

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
Did it make any difference? Those who practised magic, or claimed to practise magic, displayed a lack of faith that was preposterously inappropriate in a company that had made a covenant to keep faith with the deity that had displayed miracles on its behalf. There was no harmless magic in Israel.
:facepalm:

A

angellous_evangellous

On that note I will begin with a more familiar secular phrase starting with English:

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog.

Now to Latin.
Vivamus adipiscing orci et pretium canis, in tincidunt

Now to Greek
Δείγμα εικόνας εδώ και η τιμή ενός σκύλου, στην πιο

Now to Hebrew
לדוגמה התמונה כאן ומחיר כלב, רוב

Now I just skipped the Turkish and gone straight back to English:
For example picture here and the price of a dog, most.

Which cheap online translation program are you using?

darkstar

Context, context.

Really... look into Solomon the King.

And various other texts on Jewish mysticism. And if you can still make that claim, you're either being ignorant or really just can't understand what you're reading.

Also, it was the reasoning for settlers in Salem to murder people for being "witches" and also used by the inquisition to torture and murder people in the name of God. So yeah, makes a big difference.