• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bible Alone.. For Catholic's

Clara Tea

BIBLE ALONE FOR CATHOLICS:

This idea of: ONLY the Bible is mans Authority is NOT scriptural! This teaching of "Bible ALONE" is a man made TRADITION; until the great De-Formation of the Christian Church it was unheard of, for the first 1700 years Church brought Jesus and salvation to the peoples, there were very few bibles!
Martin Luther introduced this tradition; his idea was to remove Church from his life!
Scriptures are clear: "Jesus gave his AUTHORITY to the Church to Teach all nations"!
Fact is... The Church came long before there were any bibles!

Not scriptural? Whose scriptures? One particular religion's scriptures?

The few bibles were written in Latin, and the common man could not speak Latin, so often had to go to a priest in order to translate the holy words of God.

Yet, the source of all that we know of God is from the bible. Therefore, the bible is man's only authority.

Last edited:

Clara Tea

Just so folks know, we can all access the Vatican website. It is extensive and certainly includes the teaching of the Church.

The monastic community has long recognized that the authority of man and the institution of the Church is not the same as the will of Jesus.

Both St. Francis of Assisi and St. John of the Cross, were, for a time, considered heretics.

Meaning, of course, that the existing authority of the day, judged them as the complete opposite of what they were.

Human beings run institutions. Human beings are flawed.

But, we can't throw out the baby with the bathwater. We take the general teaching and thrust of religious teaching and try to understand its intent and how it is meant for our lives. That is all we can do. Religion is a lot more than just following a bunch of rules laid down by authoritarian people. They are not the Church. Jesus is the Church. His love is the Church, His compassion is the Church.

Apostles were human (not Gods). Therefore apostles were flawed. Much of the bible is quoted from apostles.

So, when Jesus was on the cross and said that whoever believes in him shall have eternal life, should we take that to mean that they will live forever (perhaps in hell?) or live forever in heaven? According to the human apostle, we're supposed to believe that Jesus meant that in order to get to heaven you must believe in Him. But we can't really take the word of a human.

If a normal person was nailed to a cross (or tied to it), they would curse the people who put him there. So, it stands to reason that Jesus might have been cursing people to eternal damnation in hell if they believe that Jesus is really the son of God.

It boils down to trusting what Jesus says, or trusting the interpretations of apostles.

Clara Tea

stvdv good to meet you...
I reply: The scriptures are the words of God! Man wants to twist and massage and massage the words of God until God says what they want God to have said! The ONLY Authority to interpret the scriptures correctly is The One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church Jesus established on "ROCK" not on sand! This means the ONLY Church Jesus established will not fail it means the ONLY AUTHORITY is still here to this day!
Scriptures are very clear... Rejecting the Church is rejecting God!
Luke 10:16
“Whoever listens to you listens to me; whoever rejects you rejects me; but whoever rejects me rejects him who sent me.”

I agree. Scriptures are the words of God (or as close as we can come to them). There are errors in the bible, of course, and that means that the bible is not perfect (though God might have been). Furthermore, many kings and popes have changed the bible over time. For example, king Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Catholic church would not grant it, so he started his own Anglican church, and against the advice of Sir Thomas Moore (his privy council, and Lord Protector of Great Britain), Henry wanted to run the Anglican church, as well. It was too much of a threat to his otherwise absolute power. Moore, by the way, is now St. Thomas Moore, having been sainted in recent times for sticking to his guns to defend the Catholic church and losing his head in the bargain.

Genesis 1: man was made before animals

Genesis 2: animals were made before man

Obviously this is a contradiction, so the bible is not perfect.

Brian2

Veteran Member
First of all, the Bible was never conceived to be the complete corpus of Christian teaching. It was merely “the collection of stuff that’s ok to read in church.” There would be, by necessity, other teachings added. That’s the way it was supposed to be. The Apostles — not the Bible — is where the buck stops authority-wise..

I would say that the Bible teaches the truth and that teachings that disagree with the Bible are wrong.

Second, it was the church that wrote the Greek texts. The earliest text we have is 1 Thess, and it was written about 48 CE. The church existed almost 50 years without any written texts of its own — and those early texts were just letters — apostolic teachings. They weren’t as scripture. They were considered scripture and added to the canon, which was closed about the year 450. So the church existed before the Bible.

The Church wrote the Greek text but the RC Church did not write it.
48CE is just 15 years after Jesus died. The apostles who were witnesses for Jesus taught the church along with others whom the Spirit had given knowledge and the gift of teaching.
The truth is that the canon was closed a long time before 450. That might be an official date but the canon was chosen from those books which had been used all along.
The Church existed before the Bible and the Church existed before the RC Church.
It was not just a few people in Rome who decided everything, it was the whole church leadership.

Brian2

Veteran Member
Council of Jerusalem.

Not in the gospels (Matthew, Mark. Luke, John)

Okay. So lets say Muhammed was wrong. So what? How in the world would that justify anything?

Its just an escape when people cannot prove their case.

My wound is great because you have a wound. Lick it.

Cheap argument.

Muhammad being wrong would not justify anything. It's not really about Muhammad being right or wrong, it's about saying that something written a long times after Jesus, about Jesus, is less likely to be true.
The real question is whether John was making stuff up or not and obviously you think he was making things up about Jesus and probably was not the apostle John.
Do you think that because you are Muslim and believe what Muhammad wrote?

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
The rock that the church is built on is the confession that Jesus is the Christ. No on any man.
That's your interpretation, and no one, including myself, should ever assume that their interpretation much be the right one.

Jesus renamed Simon for a reason I would assume, and since "Cephas" [Koine Greek] means "rock", I would assume that Jesus knew what he was doing. What other reason would he give Peter that name if it meant nothing?

sojourner

Annoyingly Progressive Since 2006
I would say that the Bible teaches the truth and that teachings that disagree with the Bible are wrong
There’s a marked difference between disagreement and appendage.
The Church wrote the Greek text but the RC Church did not write it.
You’re making a false distinction here, as if the RCC marked a departure from the “real church.” It did not. The Roman church was (and is) a significant part of the church.

The truth is that the canon was closed a long time before 450.
No it’s not.

the canon was chosen from those books which had been used all along
But those books were not canonized completely and compiled definitively until the mid-400s.

The Church existed before the Bible and the Church existed before the RC Church.
Again: a false distinction.

firedragon

Veteran Member
Muhammad being wrong would not justify anything. It's not really about Muhammad being right or wrong, it's about saying that something written a long times after Jesus, about Jesus, is less likely to be true.

So its not relevant. Tu QUoque. that's the whole point. So I would bid you that you dont try to justify someone else's Tu Quoque.

Not in the gospels (Matthew, Mark. Luke, John)

Acts.

sojourner

Not scriptural? Whose scriptures? One particular religion's scriptures?

The few bibles were written in Latin, and the common man could not speak Latin, so often had to go to a priest in order to translate the holy words of God.

Yet, the source of all that we know of God is from the bible. Therefore, the bible is man's only authority.
I disagree. The source of all we know of God is also from the Tradition — from the church that is the body of Christ. The source of all we know of God is also from our very selves, since it is the Spirit of God that makes us living beings. Therefore, the church is the authority, we are the authority, and the Bible we created together is the authority.

sojourner

Furthermore, many kings and popes have changed the bible over time
Oh? Can you provide incontrovertible proof of that? What, exactly, was “changed?” Which popes or kings? Changed from what to what, exactly?

For example, king Henry VIII wanted a divorce and the Catholic church would not grant it, so he started his own Anglican church
Your example isn’t cogent to your assertion. Henry didn’t change anything about the Bible. And there was a church in Britain (and Ireland) long before the RCC showed up, and the controversy of whether that church would follow Comcille or Augustine had been happening centuries before Henry was king.

You believe all churches are the same...

Sorry, I don’t think they are the same. I think many have similar way to take few scriptures and form own doctrines around them and then reject Jesus and God.

…Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to his One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church that he established on ROCK... To guide his Church into ALL Truth!

Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to his disciples, according to the Bible.

…You forget it was the One Holy Catholic Apostolic Church that Jesus established on ROCK...that made your bible! Guided by the Holy Spirit the Church decided the truly inspired words of God from the many other letters that were NOT inspired! Then Jesus' Holy Church put all the words of God into ONE BOOK she named "The Bible"! TOSS.......

If the Bible is from Catholic Church, why don’t they live by it, why they go against its teachings?

Dogknox20

First purgatory isn't real. It's nowhere in the Bible.

Purgatory after death flies in the face of many clear statements in the Bible that there are only two places that one will end up in after death: either in heaven with the Lord (2 Corinthians 5:8; Philippians 1:21-23; 1 Thessalonians 4:13-18) or in hell in torment (Luke 16:23-24; Revelation. 20:10-15). The Bible does not say that after death comes "further purification"; it says, "It is appointed unto men once to die, but after this the judgment" (Hebrews 9:28).
Wildswanderer You are wrong... You have been taught lies; it was the Protestors in the 17th century that taught there is NO sanctification after death!
Christians have ALWAYS believed in sanctification after death! On tomb stones in the catacombs of the first century Christians is written "Pray for my Soul"!
Saint Augustan always ended his letters with "Pray for my mothers soul"!

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

2 Maccabees 12:41 So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; 42 and they turned to supplication, praying that the sin that had been committed might be wholly blotted out. The noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened as the result of the sin of those who had fallen. 43 He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection. 44 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. 45 But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, so that they might be delivered from their sin.

The Acts of Paul and Thecla
And after the exhibition, Tryphaena again received her [Thecla]. For her daughter Falconilla had died, and said to her in a dream: ‘Mother, you shall have this stranger Thecla in my place, in order that she may pray concerning me, and that I may be transferred to the place of the righteous” (Acts of Paul and Thecla [A.D. 160]).

Abercius
The citizen of a prominent city, I erected this while I lived, that I might have a resting place for my body. Abercius is my name, a disciple of the chaste Shepherd who feeds his sheep on the mountains and in the fields, who has great eyes surveying everywhere, who taught me the faithful writings of life. Standing by, I, Abercius, ordered this to be inscribed: Truly, I was in my seventy-second year. May everyone who is in accord with this and who understands it pray for Abercius” (Epitaph of Abercius [A.D. 190]).

Tertullian
We offer sacrifices for the dead on their birthday anniversaries [the date of death—birth into eternal life]” (The Crown 3:3 [A.D. 211]).

A woman, after the death of her husband . . . prays for his soul and asks that he may, while waiting, find rest; and that he may share in the first resurrection. And each year, on the anniversary of his death, she offers the sacrifice” (Monogamy 10:1–2 [A.D. 216]).

Augustine
“There is an ecclesiastical discipline, as the faithful know, when the names of the martyrs are read aloud in that place at the altar of God, where prayer is not offered for them. Prayer, however, is offered for other dead who are remembered. It is wrong to pray for a martyr, to whose prayers we ought ourselves be commended” (Sermons 159:1 [A.D. 411]).

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member
Wildswanderer You are wrong... You have been taught lies; it was the Protestors in the 17th century that taught there is NO sanctification after death!
Christians have ALWAYS believed in sanctification after death! On tomb stones in the catacombs of the first century Christians is written "Pray for my Soul"!
Saint Augustan always ended his letters with "Pray for my mothers soul"!

1 Corinthians 3:11 For no one can lay any foundation other than the one already laid, which is Jesus Christ. 12 If anyone builds on this foundation using gold, silver, costly stones, wood, hay or straw, 13 their work will be shown for what it is, because the Day will bring it to light. It will be revealed with fire, and the fire will test the quality of each person’s work. 14 If what has been built survives, the builder will receive a reward. 15 If it is burned up, the builder will suffer loss but yet will be saved—even though only as one escaping through the flames.

2 Maccabees 12:41 So they all blessed the ways of the Lord, the righteous judge, who reveals the things that are hidden; 42 and they turned to supplication, praying that the sin that had been committed might be wholly blotted out. The noble Judas exhorted the people to keep themselves free from sin, for they had seen with their own eyes what had happened as the result of the sin of those who had fallen. 43 He also took up a collection, man by man, to the amount of two thousand drachmas of silver, and sent it to Jerusalem to provide for a sin offering. In doing this he acted very well and honorably, taking account of the resurrection. 44 For if he were not expecting that those who had fallen would rise again, it would have been superfluous and foolish to pray for the dead. 45 But if he was looking to the splendid reward that is laid up for those who fall asleep in godliness, it was a holy and pious thought. Therefore he made atonement for the dead, so that they might be delivered from their sin.

The Acts of Paul and Thecla
And after the exhibition, Tryphaena again received her [Thecla]. For her daughter Falconilla had died, and said to her in a dream: ‘Mother, you shall have this stranger Thecla in my place, in order that she may pray concerning me, and that I may be transferred to the place of the righteous” (Acts of Paul and Thecla [A.D. 160]).

Abercius
The citizen of a prominent city, I erected this while I lived, that I might have a resting place for my body. Abercius is my name, a disciple of the chaste Shepherd who feeds his sheep on the mountains and in the fields, who has great eyes surveying everywhere, who taught me the faithful writings of life. Standing by, I, Abercius, ordered this to be inscribed: Truly, I was in my seventy-second year. May everyone who is in accord with this and who understands it pray for Abercius” (Epitaph of Abercius [A.D. 190]).

Tertullian
We offer sacrifices for the dead on their birthday anniversaries [the date of death—birth into eternal life]” (The Crown 3:3 [A.D. 211]).

A woman, after the death of her husband . . . prays for his soul and asks that he may, while waiting, find rest; and that he may share in the first resurrection. And each year, on the anniversary of his death, she offers the sacrifice” (Monogamy 10:1–2 [A.D. 216]).

Augustine
“There is an ecclesiastical discipline, as the faithful know, when the names of the martyrs are read aloud in that place at the altar of God, where prayer is not offered for them. Prayer, however, is offered for other dead who are remembered. It is wrong to pray for a martyr, to whose prayers we ought ourselves be commended” (Sermons 159:1 [A.D. 411]).
The only true scripture in there has nothing about purgatory. I don't know how anyone gets purgatory from the Corinthians passage.
Context:The Corinthian church has divided over which “church leader” they follow.
Paul emphasizes that the worker does not matter; God matters. Each worker has his role and God provides their work with success.
This is about being rewarded for doing good in ministry and not being rewarded if you do a poor job. It's not about salvation at all. It's certainly not about some place in between heaven and hell which scripture never ever talks about.

Dogknox20

The woman symbolizes Israel, the dragon is Satan, and the male child is Jesus.
Wildwanderer YES anything or anyone but "Mary" the mother of Jesus!

Symbolism is good....
Luke 1:20 The angel said to her, `Do not be afraid, Mary. God has blessed you.

Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the fruit of your womb! And why is this granted me, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?’”

Wildwanderer Mary is Blessed Jesus is Blessed! Mary is the Mother of God!

Matthew 1:22
All this took place to fulfill what the Lord had said through the prophet: 23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us”).

Symbolism is good....
Mary the Mother of God is BLESSED!
Christians have ALWAYS honored Mary as Blessed!

46 And Mary said,
“My soul magnifies the Lord,
47 and my spirit rejoices in God my Savior,
48 for he has looked with favor on the lowliness of his servant.
Surely, from now on all generations will call me blessed
;

Symbolism is good....
God cannot be your father if Mary is Not your mother!
Jesus cannot be your brother if Mary is Not your mother!
God honored Mary as blessed all In Mary's family are in the GENERATIONS honoring her as Blessed!
Jesus honors his Mother because it is a Commandment.. "Honor your father AND Mother!
The Body of Jesus His Holy Church honors Mary our Mother because Jesus does Christians for 2000 years have honored Mary our Mother!!

metis

If the Bible is from Catholic Church, why don’t they live by it, why they go against its teachings?
I was told the same nonsense when I was attending the fundamentalist Protestant church I grew up in. Apparently, you're not familiar with Jesus' Two Commandments plus Paul's warning about being beware of those who cause division within the "one body" as you are doing.

metis

The only true scripture in there has nothing about purgatory. I don't know how anyone gets purgatory from the Corinthians passage.

I Corinthians 3:15: [15] If any man's work is burned up, he will suffer loss, though he himself will be saved, but only as through fire.

Matthew 5[25-26] Make friends quickly with your accuser, while you are going with him to court, lest your accuser hand you over to the judge, and the judge to the guard, and you be put in prison; truly I say to you, you will never get out till you have paid the last penny.

Thus, purgatory is an interpretation not only of these verses but also from the book of Maccabees plus some others.

Dogknox20

Honor and worship or veneration are different things. We should respect Mary as a good person, but she was a sinner in need of grace like everyone. God has no mother.
Mary was just the earthly vessel who carried the human form of Jesus. She didn't birth God, he always was.

Jesus is God
Jesus is a Man.
God became Man at his birth!
Mary is the Mother of God!

QUESTION: If you say Mary is NOT the Mother of God... Just when did Jesus become God!? a day after is birth? a week?!
23 “The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel” (which means “God with us).

Wildswanderer God himself tells you Jesus is God.. Isaiah 7:14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel.

Wildswanderer Question.. Did your mother give birth to your soul; or were you born soulless!?

To say Mary is NOT the mother of God 9is to reject the divinity of Jesus!
42 In a loud voice she exclaimed: “Blessed are you among women, and blessed is the child you will bear! 43 But why am I so favored, that the mother of my Lord should come to me?

Elizabeth is telling you Mary is the Mother of God!

“the ark of the Lord"
Carried sample of the manna, the miraculous bread from heaven (Exod. 16).
The Ten Commandments, God’s words from heaven (Exod. 20).
the rod of Aaron, the high priest (Num. 17).
Mary carried in he Womb..
The true bread from heaven (John 6:32).
The Word of God made flesh (John 1:14).
Our true High Priest (Heb. 3:1).

Mary is a Holy ARK.... She Carried God in her womb for 40 weeks! The Jews carried God in the Ark for 40 years!
Then God’s temple in heaven was opened, and within his temple was seen the ark of his covenant. And there came flashes of lightning, rumblings, peals of thunder, an earthquake and a severe hailstorm. A great sign appeared in heaven: a woman clothed with the sun, with the moon under her feet and a crown of twelve stars on her head. 2 She was pregnant and cried out in pain as she was about to give birth.

metis

Jesus sent the Holy Spirit to his disciples, according to the Bible.
So, after the disciples during Jesus' time passed away, then the Holy Spirit was gone? Whaddya think happened at Pentecost, and what are its implications?

Also, the Apostles were in the organization that Jesus formed, so what happened to that organization after Jesus and the Apostles were gone? Did it just disappear? What about Jesus' promise that he would guide the Church until the end of time through the Paraclete, so did Jesus lie?

Dogknox20

Kill People Who Don’t Listen to Priests

Anyone arrogant enough to reject the verdict of the judge or of the priest who represents the LORD your God must be put to death. Such evil must be purged from Israel. (Deuteronomy 17:12)

Kill Witches

You should not let a sorceress live. (Exodus 22:17)

Kill Homosexuals
“If a man lies with a male as with a women, both of them shall be put to death for their abomile deed; they have forfeited their lives.” (Leviticus 20:13)

Kill Fortunetellers

A man or a woman who acts as a medium or fortuneteller shall be put to death by stoning; they have no one but themselves to blame for their death. (Leviticus 20:27)

Death for Hitting Dad

Whoever strikes his father or mother shall be put to death. (Exodus 21:15)

Death for Cursing Parents

1) If one curses his father or mother, his lamp will go out at the coming of darkness. (Proverbs 20:20)

2) All who curse their father or mother must be put to death. They are guilty of a capital offense. (Leviticus 20:9)

Death for Adultery

If a man commits adultery with another man’s wife, both the man and the woman must be put to death. (Leviticus 20:10)

Death for Fornication

A priest’s daughter who loses her honor by committing fornication and thereby dishonors her father also, shall be burned to death. (Leviticus 21:9 )

Death to Followers of Other Religions

Whoever sacrifices to any god, except the Lord alone, shall be doomed. (Exodus 22:19 )

Kill Nonbelievers

They entered into a covenant to seek the Lord, the God of their fathers, with all their heart and soul; and everyone who would not seek the Lord, the God of Israel, was to be put to death, whether small or great, whether man or woman. (2 Chronicles 15:12-13 )

Kill False Prophets

If a man still prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall say to him, “You shall not live, because you have spoken a lie in the name of the Lord.” When he prophesies, his parents, father and mother, shall thrust him through. (Zechariah 13:3 )

Kill the Entire Town if One Person Worships Another God

Suppose you hear in one of the towns the LORD your God is giving you that some worthless rabble among you have led their fellow citizens astray by encouraging them to worship foreign gods. In such cases, you must examine the facts carefully. If you find it is true and can prove that such a detestable act has occurred among you, you must attack that town and completely destroy all its inhabitants, as well as all the livestock. Then you must pile all the plunder in the middle of the street and burn it. Put the entire town to the torch as a burnt offering to the LORD your God. That town must remain a ruin forever; it may never be rebuilt. Keep none of the plunder that has been set apart for destruction. Then the LORD will turn from his fierce anger and be merciful to you. He will have compassion on you and make you a great nation, just as he solemnly promised your ancestors. “The LORD your God will be merciful only if you obey him and keep all the commands I am giving you today, doing what is pleasing to him.” (Deuteronomy 13:13-19 )

Kill Women Who Are Not Virgins On Their Wedding Night

But if this charge is true (that she wasn’t a virgin on her wedding night), and evidence of the girls virginity is not found, they shall bring the girl to the entrance of her fathers house and there her townsman shall stone her to death, because she committed a crime against Israel by her unchasteness in her father’s house. Thus shall you purge the evil from your midst. (Deuteronomy 22:20-21 )
firedragon and your point is.. What? "That all men are sinners?!" I agree All men are sinners!

Now when Jesus saw the crowds, he went up on a mountainside and sat down. His disciples came to him, 2 and he began to teach them.
The Beatitudes
He said:

3 “Blessed are the poor in spirit,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.
4 Blessed are those who mourn,
for they will be comforted.
5 Blessed are the meek,
for they will inherit the earth.
6 Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness,
for they will be filled.
7 Blessed are the merciful,
for they will be shown mercy.
8 Blessed are the pure in heart,
for they will see God.
9 Blessed are the peacemakers,
for they will be called children of God.
10 Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness,
for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 “Blessed are you when people insult you, persecute you and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. 12 Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you

firedragon The Christian God is our Father we address him as Abba! Our God is a merciful our God is LOVE!
Christians are Adopted into God' Holy Family! Our God, the God of the Christian is NOT the same god of Islam! Your God is Demanding you are afraid of your god! He is your Master!
1 John 2:5
But if anyone obeys his word, love for God is truly made complete in them. This is how we know we are in him:
1 John 3:1
See what great love the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God! And that is what we are! The reason the world does not know us is that it did not know him.
1 John 3:10
This is how we know who the children of God are and who the children of the devil are: Anyone who does not do what is right is not God’s child, nor is anyone who does not love their brother and sister.
1 John 4:8
Whoever does not love does not know God, because God is love.
1 John 4:16
And so we know and rely on the love God has for us. God is love. Whoever lives in love lives in God, and God in them.
1 John 5:3
In fact, this is love for God: to keep his commands. And his commands are not burdensome,