• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bias is not evidence

Status
Not open for further replies.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
Disclaimers:
I am going to use two labels to describe two opposing world views.
This is about Atheists and Theists and I will explain my labels.
I understand that many Atheists do not claim to be Naturalists but for sake of this thread, that is a totally different discussion.
I understand that many many other world views are out there, though.

Atheists do not accept the supernatural as a theory and Theists do.
If you have any other world view that does not fit with that, then I am not referring to you, hope that makes sense.

Basically this is a naturalist world view and supernaturalist world view only discussion.

The OP:

I hope no one takes any offence, because I do not mean this personal against anyone.

There really isn't anything that would convince a person of the supernatural, as long as a natural explanation can explain it as well.

Because, there really isn't anything of the supernatural that also can not be reasoned away with a natural explanation.

If it comes down to it, a naturist will resort to claims of delusion, if there is nothing left to use, and will MAYBE(not a brute fact though) deem even himself delusional, depending on the extent of his bias and the situation involved.
Or, MAYBE(not a brute fact though), deem it "unexplainable" by current knowledge in science.

This makes perfect sense to why naturalists claim delusion as a default explanation of billions of believers in Deities/supernatural and/or just claim it unexplainable, and then say
"we don't have to have an answer, there is no reason to claim magic men in the sky."

The point of this OP, Naturalists/Atheists are doing exactly the same thing believers in the supernatural are ACCUSED of doing,.... the "God of the gaps" label.

Yet claim "they"(naturalists/Atheists) are only willing to accept things as truth that have empirical evidence and need evidence of the supernatural to deem it plausible.
And it becomes a logical fallacy in itself, due to Bias.

There is no brute fact evidence to deem it as natural causes that also disproved the supernatural.
Bias does not make it fact, and that bias is stopping a world view from actually "weighing in all the presented theories" with actual intellectual reasoning towards others.

Proposition that Atheists/naturalists are making, which is a logical fallacy.
1)If the supernatural can not be proven, a natural explanation is likely the cause, and a natural explanation that completely disproves the supernatural is not needed.
Again, bias does not make the proposition true, which a naturalist seems to believe.

Rewording it again a few times,
Nothing about the proposition makes itself true and is coming from the bias stance due to the blue text above,
Just because we can always deem the natural position, even if the presented situation merits the supernatural as well, doesn't make it true in itself.
So, again, this shows that a naturalist is bias and creating logical fallacy's to hold their position as the correct world view, when debating Theists.

Millions and millions of events happen that merits claims of the supernatural and we cant just reason them all away from a bias stance and claim to be the only ones who are using empirical evidence when there is none for the naturalist that completely disproves the supernatural, the blue text is not empirical evidence that disproves the events as being of a supernatural cause.
Bias, is not empirical evidence.

Now, nothing what so ever in this OP proves that supernatural exists as brute fact and that is not the point of this topic.
The point should be obvious by now.
Atheists/naturalists are making logical fallacy's from a bias worldview and claiming the world view of the naturalist is the correct one, when discussion of events that merit the supernatural.

In short, we simply do not know for sure, correct?
And saying:
"we don't have to know" does not dismiss the arguments away from the fact that they happen.

Another proposition that is a logical fallacy of the naturalist/atheist.
To claim that billions of Theists are using the God of the gaps to reason unexplainable events in their worldview experiences and are delusional.

Not true, unless an atheist/naturalist can provide empirical evidence that proves without question that it is true for billions of people?
Bias is not evidence, see the dark blue text once again.

Other motives of the thread....

Do not confuse this with me even wanting anyone to remove their bias world views on the supernatural, I accept every ones own world view, this is not a dictatorship post.
To each their own.

But when that bias bleeds into thinking for me or billions of others, it then becomes a problem for everyone else because the bias are guilty of dictatorship.

Atheists and Theists should be working side by side to remove the hate from the world, in my honest opinion.

It is safe to say that the majority of both sides of the coin have very very good people and their world view is not the problem.
Just look at the new Pope, huge huge huge improvement from any other Pope that ever existed, correct?

Together we should be bias against hate, not bias against world views that do not include hate.
We are never going to improve as a people by any other means.

In closing, the two video concepts will never even help humanity.
If you think it will, you better be willing to prove that God doesn't exist or you have no leg to stand on.
Do not give me that goal post switching nonsense, people that present their stance like Dawkins is doing, is claiming that God doesn't exist to give him merit to say what he is saying.
Nor the other guy, who makes racists/supremacist/terrorists/fascism look good.

If you fail to understand a simple fallacy both are creating, then I have no idea what else to say to you.
Unless you can disprove God and that billions of people are delusional?
That I will be willing to discuss.

Yes I know millions of religious people are just as bad I am not pointing fingers at any world view.
IT IS NOT THE WORLD VIEW, IT IS THE PEOPLE AND HATE I AM TALKING ABOUT.

[youtube]uPqqp8KVuQU[/youtube]

And people like this guy....
This is what we should be doing?

[youtube]avep_1vbUOA[/youtube]

Last edited by a moderator:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Disclaimers:
I understand that many Atheists do not claim to be Naturalists but for sake of this thread, that is a totally different discussion.

If you have any other world view that does not fit with that, then I am not referring to you, hope that makes sense.

Basically this is a naturalist world view and supernaturalist world view only discussion.

The OP:

I hope no one takes any offence, because I do not mean this personal against anyone.

There really isn't anything that would convince a person of the supernatural, as long as a natural explanation can explain it as well.

Because, there really isn't anything of the supernatural that also can not be reasoned away with a natural explanation.

If it comes down to it, a naturist will resort to claims of delusion, if there is nothing left to use, and will MAYBE(not a brute fact though) deem even himself delusional, depending on the extent of his bias and the situation involved.
Or, MAYBE(not a brute fact though), deem it "unexplainable" by current knowledge in science.

This makes perfect sense to why naturalists claim delusion as a default explanation of billions of believers in Deities/supernatural and/or just claim it unexplainable, and then say
"we don't have to have an answer, there is no reason to claim magic men in the sky."

The point of this OP, Naturalists/Atheists are doing exactly the same thing believers in the supernatural are ACCUSED of doing,.... the "God of the gaps" label.

Yet claim "they"(naturalists/Atheists) are only willing to accept things as truth that have empirical evidence and need evidence of the supernatural to deem it plausible.

There is no brute fact evidence to deem it as natural causes that also disproved the supernatural.
Bias does not make it fact, and that bias is stopping a world view from actually "weighing in all the presented theories" with actual intellectual reasoning towards others.

1)If the supernatural can not be proven, a natural explanation is likely the cause, and a natural explanation that completely disproves the supernatural is not needed.
Again, bias does not make the proposition true, which a naturalist seems to believe.

Nothing about the proposition makes itself true and is coming from the bias stance due to the blue text above,
Just because we can always deem the natural position, even if the presented situation merits the supernatural as well, doesn't make it true in itself.
So, again, this shows that a naturalist is bias and creating logical fallacy's to hold their position as the correct world view, when debating Theists.

Millions and millions of events happen that merits claims of the supernatural and we cant just reason them all away from a bias stance and claim to be the only ones who are using empirical evidence when there is none for the naturalist that completely disproves the supernatural, the blue text is not empirical evidence that disproves the events as being of a supernatural cause.

Now, nothing what so ever in this OP proves that supernatural exists as brute fact and that is not the point of this topic.
Atheists/naturalists are making logical fallacy's from a bias worldview and claiming the world view of the naturalist is the correct one, when discussion of events that merit the supernatural.

And saying:
"we don't have to know" does not dismiss the arguments away from the fact that they happen.

To claim that billions of Theists are using the God of the gaps to reason unexplainable events in their worldview experiences and are delusional.

Not true, unless an atheist/naturalist can provide empirical evidence that proves without question that it is true for billions of people?
Bias is not evidence, see the dark blue text once again.

Other motives of the thread....

Do not confuse this with me even wanting anyone to remove their bias world views on the supernatural, I accept every ones own world view, this is not a dictatorship post.
To each their own.

But when that bias bleeds into thinking for me or billions of others, it then becomes a problem for everyone else because the bias are guilty of dictatorship.

Atheists and Theists should be working side by side to remove the hate from the world, in my honest opinion.

It is safe to say that the majority of both sides of the coin have very very good people and their world view is not the problem.
Just look at the new Pope, huge huge huge improvement from any other Pope that ever existed, correct?

Together we should be bias against hate, not bias against world views that do not include hate.
We are never going to improve as a people by any other means.

In closing, the two video concepts will never even help humanity.
If you think it will, you better be willing to prove that God doesn't exist or you have no leg to stand on.
Do not give me that goal post switching nonsense, people that present their stance like Dawkins is doing, is claiming that God doesn't exist to give him merit to say what he is saying.
Nor the other guy, who makes racists/supremacist/terrorists/fascism look good.

If you fail to understand a simple fallacy both are creating, then I have no idea what else to say to you.
Unless you can disprove God and that billions of people are delusional?
That I will be willing to discuss.

Yes I know millions of religious people are just as bad I am not pointing fingers at any world view.
IT IS NOT THE WORLD VIEW, IT IS THE PEOPLE AND HATE I AM TALKING ABOUT.

[youtube]uPqqp8KVuQU[/youtube]

And people like this guy....
This is what we should be doing?

[youtube]avep_1vbUOA[/youtube]

There is no burden of disproof. No need to prove that billions of people are delusional (not that I assume they are all delusional). That those billions describe contradictory and incredibly diverse different conceptions of the supernatural and none can evidence any of them leaves the naturalist nothing to disprove.

Believing that unevidenced entities and such like do not exist is simply the logical default. If there is a bias it is in favour of that which can be evidenced, it is a reasonable bias.

Nobody need disprove the unproven.

Nobody needs to know for sure, we just withhold belief pending the presentation of suitable evidence.

Just as an aside, naturalism was a popular 19th century philosophical notion - many of the proponants of which were Christians. So imagining it to be somehow linked to atheism or opposite to theism is a misconception.

Last edited:
First off, I didnt watch the videos because it's late and I dont want to wake anyone up. Second, I think Richard Dawkins is a bit of a jerk. Even if he thinks the idea that mocking and ridiculing the beliefs held by billions will somehow end religion, which I also don't want, it just isn't good for an honest debate.

I guess the way the position is phrased, that there has to be a naturalistic explanation for an occurance, even if one isn't readily accessible is biased. In a way, it is just the god of gaps fallacy.

Bias isn't evidence, but removing bias is difficult. When something I cannot readily explain occurs, I do assume there is a natural way to explain it even if we don't know how yet. Really, I make this assumption on two parts; there are usually, what I would call, rational explanations; and also I think that viewpoint is best for the advancement of our species.

I'm not saying that religion can't and hasn't stimulated science, but when you do inject a God or higher power into a situation then the reasoning isn't really important.

Oh, I guess there is a third. Strictly speaking, natural can encompass pretty much all things in existence. The natural world, for me anyway, would include not only all the functions of Earth, but all the functions of the universe. Saying something can occur and can affect the natural world while somehow not being a part of it just doesn't make sense to me.

But more than anything I, personally, advocate doubt. There may or may not be a naturalistic explanation for phenomenon X. Until we can discover if we can explain it or not, I guess our judgement should be reserved.

Hopefully I replied to the debate you were trying to stimulate.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
First off, I didnt watch the videos because it's late and I dont want to wake anyone up. Second, I think Richard Dawkins is a bit of a jerk. Even if he thinks the idea that mocking and ridiculing the beliefs held by billions will somehow end religion, which I also don't want, it just isn't good for an honest debate.

I guess the way the position is phrased, that there has to be a naturalistic explanation for an occurance, even if one isn't readily accessible is biased. In a way, it is just the god of gaps fallacy.

Bias isn't evidence, but removing bias is difficult. When something I cannot readily explain occurs, I do assume there is a natural way to explain it even if we don't know how yet. Really, I make this assumption on two parts; there are usually, what I would call, rational explanations; and also I think that viewpoint is best for the advancement of our species.

I'm not saying that religion can't and hasn't stimulated science, but when you do inject a God or higher power into a situation then the reasoning isn't really important.

Oh, I guess there is a third. Strictly speaking, natural can encompass pretty much all things in existence. The natural world, for me anyway, would include not only all the functions of Earth, but all the functions of the universe. Saying something can occur and can affect the natural world while somehow not being a part of it just doesn't make sense to me.

But more than anything I, personally, advocate doubt. There may or may not be a naturalistic explanation for phenomenon X. Until we can discover if we can explain it or not, I guess our judgement should be reserved.

Hopefully I replied to the debate you were trying to stimulate.

You really don't wish to watch the second vid, it will wake the dead, that guy either drank 87 billion cups of coffee or injected it right into his veins.
If he reverted and used that sort of authority to present a real argument though, he would be one heck of a debater.
But setting up 8474524 strawman attackes is not helping him in being took seriously.

Paraphrasing him:
"Hitler killed millions of Jews"
"All damn religious people are evil need to be murdered, locked up, and the beat to death"
Maybe he is related to Stalin and his great great great grandson?:sarcastic

BTW, I realize the guy is Jewish, and completely understand what his position is, but never the less, why should the guy he is screaming at be subject to the abuse he is putting on him?
That guy isn't Hitler or a follower of such.

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
You sure write a lot for someone who does not appear to be interested in a discussion.

What are you talking about?
You are the one who doesn't seem interested in a discussion by making pointless posts.
Where is your post here showing interest in a discussion of the OP?
Just as you did in my other thread, you get things backwards.

Because you claimed the other thread was an argument from ignorance for me to be discussing an event I experienced and you didn't experience it and present yourself to know more than I do.

Meh. If a premise can't be summed up in 300 words or less, it's probably not worth reading. That's my premise. ;)

Care to provide empirical evidence of that premise?
Oh yah, its a logical fallacy premise.

In my defense, the Op is so huge because a lot of points are made in my attempts to cover all angles as in depth as possible.
I probably didn't have to reword some of it as I did.
I just do not want to be misinterpreted.

The points of the OP have a very serious nature and well worth the effort on my part.
Its really not that horrible of a thread though, shouldn't take but a few mins to read.

But yes, I am guilty of not being able to make the same points in a much more reduced manor.
I envy those that can.
:yes:

If anyone wishes to create a form of an ad hominem to get out of the fact they cant refute what the OP says, so be it.
I cant do anything about my handicaps of the gift of gab in text, if you will.
;)

edit:
I was just reading in a few other threads and just realized, there is nothing wrong with the length of my OP at all.
Tons and tons and tons and tons of people reply to huge posts and even take the time to create quotes in between replying to the post,
which is sort of time consuming.
I need to stop being so hard on myself.

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
To be biased towards accepting as truth things for which there is evidence is not a logical fallacy, it is just sound reasoning.

Far from being a logical fallacy, or an unreasonable bias - it is the logical approach.

Last edited:

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
To be biased towards accepting as truth things for which there is evidence is not a logical fallacy, it is just sound reasoning.

Far from being a logical fallacy, or an unreasonable bias - it is the logical approach.

Yep, except atheism is the DISBELIEF in deity(deities). According to the dict,definition.;)

IHaveTheGift

U know who U R
Yep, except atheism is the DISBELIEF in deity(deities). According to the dict,definition.;)

Not really.
If I said that I witnessed an event that merits the supernatural and an atheist deems it coincidence, he is being bias to anything that doesn't fit his world view.
We cant just reason away millions and millions of events deemed of the supernatural, due to bias and claim it is logically sound reasoning.
We can, but its a fallacy to do it.
The only thing that would make me wrong is empirical evidence that fully proves the natural explanation is a brute fact and disproves all those millions of supernatural accounts and we do not have that, do we?

Burden of proof is a two way street, not one way, as atheists try to reason it.
Man has believed in the supernatural since the beginning, so it is a brute fact a two way street because naturalism is not mans default position.

Evidence of that?
Read the Gods delusion by Richard Dawkins.
Those that study the fossil records also have empirical evidence that shows all the way back to the first man, he has believed in the supernatural.

Dawkins tries to reason it all away as child's fantasy and mans ability to deceive himself.
Hogwash, there is nothing logical about deceiving oneself into thinking they may burn in Hell forever, to comfort oneself into not accepting that when we die, that's it, end of story.
Logic would say that it is the other way around.
Deceive oneself that there is no Hell.

Again, why would one deceive themselves into thinking they will be tormented forever?
That is insanity.

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Disclaimers:

The OP:

And saying:

&c.

Yes, but billions of people must be delusional, even from your point of view.
Do you think that Buddhists and Muslims are not delusional? What about believers in astrology or numerology? They must have counted by the billions, at least in the past.
Do you think that the name of Allah appearing on clouds, mountains, auroras, trees, etc. are only a natural coincidence?
Do you think that a status of Ganesh actually drank milk offerings?
Do you think that reported visions of Shiva do not have a natural explanation?
Do you think that Buddha really split 500 pieces of wood at command?
Was there something supernatural behind the miracle galore of the pagan eras?
&c.

It all boils down to the following question: can you convince a Naturalist, or at least instill doubts in her worldview, about the existence of God?

I think yes. For starters, I would be impressed if tomorrow everyone would converge towards the same version of God. All Christians, all Muslims, all Pastafarians, all whatever. That would provide evidence of an objective Revelation coming from the same place.

But until them, I am afraid I will consider all of them delusional, since these big differences in beliefs and assumptions about god/gods/spirits/etc. can only be explained by people making things up or, alternatively, by God being a poor communicator. Being the latter self-defeating, I am left with the former.

Ciao

- viole

Last edited:

Bunyip

pro scapegoat
Not really.
If I said that I witnessed an event that merits the supernatural and an atheist deems it coincidence, he is being bias to anything that doesn't fit his world view.

Not at all, it's not bias - coincidence is just a far more likely explanation. Coincidences are commonplace.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
So what? Atheists still do not demand proof, what difference does your defimition make?

It makes a difference because it is a belief in the negative, about an unknown.
I'm not sure what you mean otherwise..

it's in context to what I was responding to

Status
Not open for further replies.