• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

BGLT persons and the religious community

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
How does your religious community repsond to an openly BGLT person who visits or wants to join your group? Do you accept them and love them they way they are? Try to change them before you let them join? Or turn them away completely unless they change? Do you think that a BGLT person would feel welcome in your religious community? Do you agree with how your religious community responds to and treats BGLT people? If not, what would you change?

Green Gaia

Veteran Member
Bisexual, Gay, Lesbian, Transgender: BGLT is faster than writing all that, or "non-heterosexual" out every time. :)

Khale

Since I left home I don't really have a religious community anymore so I can only say what I personally believe and how other communities I have been in have acted.

Myself, While I accept that some people are naturally gay and I know longer consider being so a sin, I am a little uncomfortable around them. That may seem insensitive, but you have to understand that I am just now getting over years of church and peer induced homophobia. Really if it wasn't for support from my parents and my bible scholar I would still feel outright hate towards the gay community.

As for other communities, I would say that the most recent church I have been to (I won't name any names) needs much improvement. I was recently talking to a friend who stated that BGLT's could not be serious christian's, that they were going to hell for it, and that the church they belonged to must have been extremely corrupt.

Though I am not gay myself, it doesn't take much to assume that this attitude is downright abhorrent and even a little frightening for BGLT's looking for a strong religious community. This particular statement affected me even more so since I had shared the same beliefs not long ago.

Well, with any luck this little rant answered at least some of the questions you were putting forward.:)

jewscout

Religious Zionist
while there is a prohibition against homosexuality in Judaism, especially in an Orthodox Community like the one i'm involved in, this does not mean they wouldn't be accepted or that their children couldn't attend the local day schools or yeshivas...actually the Rebbe at RTA (the jewish elementary private school) was asked this exact question...if 2 jewish men who were gay came into the community and they had a child they were raising would he allow the child to enroll at RTA? He just blinked and said...why wouldn't i let the child enroll?!:sarcastic

I wouldn't be involved in a community that wouldn't at least be open and friendly to my sister

Engyo

Prince of Dorkness!
My Buddhist sangha welcomes all, as all people are equal in Buddhism. We currently have some gay associates, and one member is transgendered.

Dayv

All people are equal in my opinion, whatever choices you make. Love is love, who cares what form it takes and anyone that condemns real love for any reason has serious problems. I am not gay, but I have a relative that is and a friend of mine is, too (he's a buddhist, too, coincidently). They are both great people and I would gladly defend them through and through.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
I think this would depend entirely on who was leading the church, regardless of Religion. While it is considered a sin in Christianity, I know some churches that welcome their homosexual brothers and sisters openly with understanding and compassion, and acceptance. Others do not. It all depends on the leader.

CaptainXeroid

Following Christ
Maize said:
How does your religious community repsond to an openly BGLT person who visits or wants to join your group?...
Considering our choir director is openly gay, I'd say we're pretty accepting.:)

We follow Jesus' teachings and take John 3:17 "For God sent the Son into the world, not to condemn the world, but that the world might be saved through him." as our 'mission'. When people come to our church, we welcome them with open arms and don't try to change anything they believe or do...that's between them and God.

Not only am I supportive of our position, I am chair of what some people might call an 'Evangelism' committee. We don't go door to door or stop people on the streets, but instead we promote our church's openness in the community by posting information (with permission) in public places and following up with visitors.

About the only thing I would change is our advertising budget so we would reach out to more people.:p

michel

Administrator Emeritus
Staff member
The only Religious community I can speak of is the Church of England, where I have found that the subject of one's orientation 'BGLT' (Sounds like a new meal at McDonald's) - is probably the least worry of members of the congregation. They are far more interested in Mr Smith, who was seen coming out of Mrs Brown's door at six in the morning...........

I honestly don't think that there is a problem in the Religious community, even though society in General still has it's teething problems with understanding anything but Heterosexual. But I still believe that most problems emanate from fear of the unknown.:)

Mister Emu

Emu Extraordinaire
Staff member
Premium Member
While I am not sure, I believe a bi-sexual, homosexual, or transgendered would be accepted. However they would probably be talked to in the context of changing.

I believe the SBC generally considers homosexuality a sin, but it probably differs by degrees in a church by church basis. Some not considering it a sin at all, to preaching about how the homosexuals are going to burn in hell for eternity.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
with open arms for the most part... there are naturally going to be some groups that are intolerant, but by and large Native American Nations have tradtionally accepted BGLT individuals as equils.
You are what creator made you to be, everyone has a purpose.

wa:do

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
painted wolf said:
with open arms for the most part... there are naturally going to be some groups that are intolerant, but by and large Native American Nations have tradtionally accepted BGLT individuals as equils.
You are what creator made you to be, everyone has a purpose.

From what I understand, Native Americans even saw them as special. Usually a man had certain duties, women had certain duties. But a masculine female could hunt with the men. And feminine males were able to do things with the women. Also medicine men and women were sometimes transgendered. I don't know were I got this, just an observation.

painted wolf

Grey Muzzle
depended greatly on the nation involved. Some were rather homophobic... most wern't

Its hard to pin any one specific something to the first nations... 300+ nations leaves a lot of room for variation.

EnhancedSpirit

High Priestess
painted wolf said:
depended greatly on the nation involved. Some were rather homophobic... most wern't

Its hard to pin any one specific something to the first nations... 300+ nations leaves a lot of room for variation.

*tear rolls down face* All those human beings. I don't know how to explain this, but I miss them. Master Vigil, would you send them a message? I am so sorry for what was done to all you beautiful spirits. May you continue to help us through your wisdom.