• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best book ever written!

adi2d

Robert Heinlein's "Starship Troopers".
Really.
Though I am a sci fi lover it's not the powered armor suits or futuristic battles (of which there are only two and they are very short) that make this my favorite piece of literature. It addresses much in the way of philosophy and societal structuring that I found myself agreeing with at an early age.
I also read Joe Halderman's "The Forever War" as it was more space troopers in armor. Alot more scientific concepts that were really cool and a deeper story of the aliens motives, but it was the philosophical antithesis of ST.

Starship Troopers definitely my favorite. But it was a close tie with Joseph Heller's "Catch 22", another work of genius.

Starship troopers was great. Have you read time enough for love,glory road,andnumber of the beast? Heinlein wrote so many great books. All tied for best book ever

Skwim

Veteran Member
I don't think The Oxford English Dictionary is a book one reads from cover to cover.
So what? The Bible isn't read from cover to cover either, except for those who take it on as a challenge---"Ta Da I did it!"--- or as a form of atonement.

Please enlighten us as to why you chose it as a best book ever written?
Couldn't think of anything else. And, it's unbiased, well researched, well written, dependable, covers some 6000,000 words, and looks impressive on one's shelf. ;) Plus it's cheap; it can be had for only $32.00 — $65.00 per volume, hard cover, or only $0.0022 per page. For comparison, the paperback edition of Ken Follett's Fall of Giants costs $0.025 per page.

Do you want to convey us that English has the biggest vocabulary of counting words in the world? Please

Regards
Nope.

Last edited:

Poeticus

| abhyAvartin |
I am happy that everybody has accepted Quran the best written/authored book ever.

But that makes no sense; and I'm not surprised since your posts rarely, if ever, make sense.

How in the world has everybody on the planet, and since when, accepted the Quran as "the best written/authored book ever" ... ?

I surely haven't. The best book is Twilight, closely followed by Fifty Shades of Grey. Duh.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Best book ever written.

oxford_english_dictionary_0.jpg

I checked on Google:

Deutsches Wörterbuch

1. The Deutsches Wörterbuch was begun by the Brothers Grimm in 1838 and the initial volumes were published in 1854. Unfinished at the time of their deaths, the dictionary was finally completed by a succession of later scholars and institutions in 1961.[1] In 1971, a 33rd supplement volume was published containing 25,000 additional entries. New research projects began in 2004 to expand and update the oldest parts of the dictionary to modern academic standards. Volumes A-F are planned for completion in 2012 by the Language Research Centre at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities[4]and the University of Göttingen.[2]
2. In 1984, the original 1961 version of the DWB was published in a paperback edition, now out of print. In 1999 a new paperback edition of all 33 volumes (weight 30 kg), published by Deutsche Taschenbuch Verlag, became available (ISBN 978-3423590457) [9]

Deutsches Wörterbuch - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

By your standards the German to German Language dictionary (Deutsches Wörterbuch) should be the best book; which has 33 volumes while the Oxford English Dictionary has only twenty.

Please correct me If I am wrong.
Regards

Skwim

Veteran Member
I checked on Google:

Deutsches Wörterbuch

1. The Deutsches Wörterbuch was begun by the Brothers Grimm in 1838 and the initial volumes were published in 1854. Unfinished at the time of their deaths, the dictionary was finally completed by a succession of later scholars and institutions in 1961.[1] In 1971, a 33rd supplement volume was published containing 25,000 additional entries. New research projects began in 2004 to expand and update the oldest parts of the dictionary to modern academic standards. Volumes A-F are planned for completion in 2012 by the Language Research Centre at the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences and Humanities[4]and the University of Göttingen.[2]
2. In 1984, the original 1961 version of the DWB was published in a paperback edition, now out of print. In 1999 a new paperback edition of all 33 volumes (weight 30 kg), published by Deutsche Taschenbuch Verlag, became available (ISBN 978-3423590457) [9]

By your standards the German to German Language dictionary (Deutsches Wörterbuch) should be the best book; which has 33 volumes while the Oxford English Dictionary has only twenty.

Please correct me If I am wrong.
Regards

The OED could have been published in 40 volumes, but it obviously saw no reason to make them so skinny. Only a few volumes of Deutsches Wörterbuch are the size of any of the OED volumes.
61758342.jpg

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The OED could have been published in 40 volumes, but it obviously saw no reason to make them so skinny. Only a few volumes of Deutsches Wörterbuch are the size of any of the OED volumes.
61758342.jpg

German work was started earlier than the English.

Academy of Sciences (1908-1961)
1. The DWB was finally published in January 1961, 123 years after its beginnings. It totaled 67,744 text columns, 320,000 keywords and weighed 84 kg. A 1971 supplement contains 25,000 additional entries and references to primary sources.[3]

2. The Deutsches Wörterbuch was begun by the Brothers Grimm in 1838 and the initial volumes were published in 1854.
3. Completion of first edition and first supplement[edit] (OED)
The 125th and last fascicle, covering words from Wise to the end of W, was published on 19 April 1928, and the full dictionary in bound volumes followed immediately.[15]:xx
Oxford English Dictionary - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Regards

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Is Tirukkural better than "The Bhagavad Gita"?
You must have read both from cover to cover.
Have you?

Don't need to. I've read all the Bhagavad-Gita, and parts of the Tirukkural. The latter is better from a purely structural standpoint; its contents are clearly identified and its lessons unambiguous. That makes it much easier to follow and understand.

Sand Dancer

Crazy Cat Lady

Sunstone

De Diablo Del Fora
Premium Member
I think one very good, but very over-looked book, is First You Build a Cloud by K.C. Cole. It's a wide-ranging collection of sensible essays on physics and its implications. To my knowledge, the book has never gotten the recognition it deserves.