• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best book ever written!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
If it has to be a religious book, then I say.
234ews.jpg

Cogent reasoning that swept away any doubts I had about abandoning Christianity.

Thanks for introducing this book.
Regards

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Quran is the best and mostly read book/recitation in the world, authored by One-True-God, most systematic and living book with claims as well as reasons/wisdom on all ethical, moral and spiritual issues.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Quran is the best and mostly read book/recitation in the world, authored by One-True-God, most systematic and living book with claims as well as reasons/wisdom on all ethical, moral and spiritual issues.

We heard you the first time. I still disagree.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
I have. :) It's pretty clear, and not very open to interpretation. Are you familiar with it?

No I haven't. I heard about it for the first time in this thread but the friend who suggested it as the best religious book had not read it personally.

I wanted to know about it from one who had read it and believes that it is a revealed book.

Do you? Please

Regards

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
No I haven't. I heard about it for the first time in this thread but the friend who suggested it as the best religious book had not read it personally.

I wanted to know about it from one who had read it and believes that it is a revealed book.

Do you? Please

Regards

No. I don't believe in 'revealed' period. The author, Tiruvalluvar, was a simple man who could write poetry about life in general. It was written around 200 BC. In South India, it is the book used to 'swear truth' on in courts. There have been several translations, and there are several on-line. http://www.gokulnath.com/thirukurals

Last edited:

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
Here's a good book on evolution, it's a fairy tale for adults where a frog can turn into a Prince.

The_Princess_and_the_Frog_Soundtrack.jpg

I also read similar fairy tales talking of people living three days in a big fish.

Not sure it was for adults, though.

Ciao

- viole

gnostic

The Lost One
The Odyssey by Homer.

Actually, The Odyssey should be read together with The Iliad. Though, the Odyssey can be read alone, I think it better to read both books. My suggestion would be to read the Fagles' translations, the best of modern translations.

I found the Odyssey to be inspiring high adventure story of the most complex ancient hero.

Another book I would highly recommend is the Epic of Gilgamesh.

Though, the hero seemed to be immensely brave, powerful and invincible, the last four books or chapters revealed a man with profound human fragility: he feared death, and his futile search for immortality. When immortality was deny to him, he finally accepted his mortality, with humbleness you would not usually see in such a hero of epic proportion.

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member

Yes I have.

What did Tiruvalluvar claim to be? Please

Regards

We don't even know if that was his real name. The book just exists, and Tiruvalluvar is the name that was given to its author by tradition.

Last edited: