• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best book ever written!

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
The OED could have been published in 40 volumes, but it obviously saw no reason to make them so skinny. Only a few volumes of Deutsches Wörterbuch are the size of any of the OED volumes.
61758342.jpg

That does not mean English has essentially more vocabulary than German language.

There is an interesting article in the Economist @ economist.com
One may like to read it.
Counting words
The biggest vocabulary?

Counting words: The biggest vocabulary? | The Economist

Regards

Skwim

Veteran Member
That does not mean English has essentially more vocabulary than German language.

There is an interesting article in the Economist @ economist.com
One may like to read it.
Counting words
The biggest vocabulary?

Counting words: The biggest vocabulary? | The Economist

Regards
"vocabulary" = words? If so . . . .

Number of words in the English languish: 1,025,109.8 (January 1, 2014 estimate)
source

Couldn't find the number of words in German.

But what is with this competition between English dictionaries and German dictionaries you want to engage in?

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
But what is with this competition between English dictionaries and German dictionaries you want to engage in?

Could be a young terrorist.

he is anti education, anti freedom, anti knowledge, anti USA. Throw in reason and logic to be accurate.

paarsurrey

Veteran Member

Riverwolf

Amateur Rambler / Proud Ergi
Premium Member
Wait a minute... does ANY type of book count?

'Cause if we're not limited to purely prose or poetry books, then hands freaking down for me, the best comic book ever written is also the best book ever written (or at least the best book I've ever read): The Killing Joke.

Man of Faith

I like this book. It's about an atheist that turns theist because the scientific evidence points him to the truth. He could not intellectually remain an atheist after finding out that all of the sciences work together to support and sustain life on this planet.

thereisgod.jpg

Man of Faith

Here's a great book where an atheist has the time and resources to travel the world investigating the claims for and against Jesus with the top researchers in each field and ultimately has to accept the truth.

The_case_for_christ.jpg

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Here's a good book on evolution, it's a fairy tale for adults where a frog can turn into a Prince.

:facepalm:

First of all, movie.
Second of all, folk tale, not book.
Finally, evolution has nothing to do with frogs changing into humans. It does have to do, however, with some frogs having the ability to change their sex in certain circumstances.

...and by the way, you're a Creationist, so even if this book did have something to do with evolution (which I cannot stress enough that it doesn't), what criteria, exactly, do you use to judge it the "best book ever written", or at least among them?

Last edited:

outhouse

Atheistically
I like this book. It's about an atheist that turns theist because the scientific evidence points him to the truth.

:facepalm:

Epic fail on your part.

How about an old man on his death bed, had a theist author quote mining him, as well as outright lies.

Varghese had been almost entirely responsible for writing the book, and that Flew was in a serious state of mental decline, having great difficulty remembering key figures, ideas, and events relating to the debate covered in the book.[8

He came to the same conclusion as Oppenheimer, and stated that "Far from strengthening the case for the existence of God, [the book] rather weakens the case for the existence of Antony Flew".[

paarsurrey

Veteran Member
Best book ever written!

Since it is Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates, it implies that the book suggested should be religious one and not the general one.

Otherwise this thread may please be shifted to some other forum to which it relates.

Methinks

Regards

Skwim

Veteran Member
Best book ever written!

Since it is Religious Education Forum / Religious Topics / Religious Debates, it implies that the book suggested should be religious one and not the general one.

Otherwise this thread may please be shifted to some other forum to which it relates.

Methinks
Regards
If it has to be a religious book, then I say.
234ews.jpg

Cogent reasoning that swept away any doubts I had about abandoning Christianity.

Riverwolf

Premium Member
Best book ever written!

Methinks

Regards

That wasn't a specific qualification, but in terms of religious books, then for me it's Joseph Campbell's Hero With a Thousand Faces.