• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best accents ever?

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
So as an Australian, I find it really fun to watch Americans/Brits react to videos such as “actors you never knew were Australian” for example

I just find it kind of fun that many of our “true blue”actors seemingly convince wholeheartedly many folks with their acted accent. Typically American or British, with folks flawed that such actors can mimic accents effortlessly or at the very least convincingly lol

So I wanted to get your thoughts.
Who are some actors who you think nailed an accent that was foreign to them. It can be anywhere in the world Lol. Just an actor who did an accent so flawlessly that it was kind of surprising to learn that it wasn’t their natural one

And which actor/actress were you shocked to learn the origin of? (If that makes sense lol)

For reference

RestlessSoul

To answer a slightly different, but not unrelated, question to the one you were asking; I couldn’t watch the highly praised British drama series Peaky Blinders, because not one of the actors came close to doing a convincing Birmingham accent. The Brummy accent is quite distinctive - think Ozzy Osborne, but remember he hasn’t lived in Birmingham for about 50 years, then imagine what he used to sound like. Still, these people are actors; it’s their job to get this stuff right, and they even have voice coaches to help them.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
To answer a slightly different, but not unrelated, question to the one you were asking; I couldn’t watch the highly praised British drama series Peaky Blinders, because not one of the actors came close to doing a convincing Birmingham accent. The Brummy accent is quite distinctive - think Ozzy Osborne, but remember he hasn’t lived in Birmingham for about 50 years, then imagine what he used to sound like. Still, these people are actors; it’s their job to get this stuff right, and they even have voice coaches to help them.
Oh really?
I think here the show is kind of viewed as kind of an “old Pom show” so the accents aren’t really expected to be authentic, per se. Like it’s “okay” to for an actor to be a bit cartoony. I didn’t really think about it until you mentioned it, but that’s interesting to think about

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Chris Hemsworth's and Hugh Jackman's American English .
Russell Crowe's Greek and Italian (Thor Love & Thunder, The Pope's Exorcist, respectively).
James Doohan's (Scotty, STTOS) Scottish.

RestlessSoul

Oh really?
I think here the show is kind of viewed as kind of an “old Pom show” so the accents aren’t really expected to be authentic, per se. Like it’s “okay” to for an actor to be a bit cartoony. I didn’t really think about it until you mentioned it, but that’s interesting to think about

You’ve seen Mick Jagger play Ned Kelly, right? Historical drama so perhaps it shouldn’t have mattered, but his accent killed an otherwise entertaining movie imo.

Maybe I’m too picky about this stuff though, could be that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
If I need to be sincere...I love this accent, I guess it's the standard Californian. I am not an expert...so correct me.
It's so smooth, understandable.
I love how they talk.
It really sounds clear. I don't know how to explain it. ;)

ChristineM

"Be strong", I whispered to my coffee.
Premium Member
The Brummy accent is quite distinctive - think Ozzy Osborne,

This reminds me of a story i heard involving Noddy Holder.

He arrived at a recording studio and was asked if there was anything he wanted.

His reply "I'd love a kipper tie".

As he got settled in a runner was sent to a clothing shop to buy a kipper tie. Returned and offered it to Noddy.

"What's this" said said Noddy " i meant a kipper tie" (cup of tea).

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
You’ve seen Mick Jagger play Ned Kelly, right? Historical drama so perhaps it shouldn’t have mattered, but his accent killed an otherwise entertaining movie imo.

Maybe I’m too picky about this stuff though, could be that.
I’ll agree with you there lol

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
Hugh Laurie after watching 8 seasons of House.

ETA: Also Benjamin Cumberbatch after watching Dr Strange.
Trivia....
Female fans who swoon over Mr Cumberatch are known as "Cumberb_tches"
Put an "i" in the blank.

My favorite show for accents & colloquialisms (often invented) is Deadwood.
Caution!
Copious profanity & racism...

Last edited:

anna.

but mostly it's the same
If I need to be sincere...I love this accent, I guess it's the standard Californian. I am not an expert...so correct me.
It's so smooth, understandable.
I love how they talk.
It really sounds clear. I don't know how to explain it. ;)

If you're talking about the actress playing Brooke Logan, she's a Californian. The actress playing Stephanie Forrester was born in New Jersey but she doesn't have a Jersey accent. I don't know her, so don't know if she moved from Jersey at an early age or worked to lose her accent.

Being from California myself I'm biased, but I think the western states have the most neutral American accent it's possible to have.

anna.

but mostly it's the same
So as an Australian, I find it really fun to watch Americans/Brits react to videos such as “actors you never knew were Australian” for example

I just find it kind of fun that many of our “true blue”actors seemingly convince wholeheartedly many folks with their acted accent. Typically American or British, with folks flawed that such actors can mimic accents effortlessly or at the very least convincingly lol

Who are some actors who you think nailed an accent that was foreign to them. It can be anywhere in the world Lol. Just an actor who did an accent so flawlessly that it was kind of surprising to learn that it wasn’t their natural one

And which actor/actress were you shocked to learn the origin of? (If that makes sense lol)

For reference

The actress who plays Beth on Yellowstone, Kelly Reilly. I about fell over when I found out she was British. Wow.

Also Jodie Comer from Killing Eve. Again, wow.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber

For reference
Hugh Laurie. As House he sounds like he actually was born and raised and lived here his whole life.

Jainarayan

ॐ नमो भगवते वासुदेवाय
Staff member
Premium Member
Incidentally, back to Chris Hemsworth (much man-crush, Frank?), he once said he adopted a somewhat British (or is it "Bri'ish"?) accent for Marvel Avengers because his native Strine would make Thor sound like Crocodile Dundee.

SomeRandom

Staff member
Premium Member
Incidentally, back to Chris Hemsworth (much man-crush, Frank?), he once said he adopted a somewhat British (or is it "Bri'ish"?) accent for Marvel Avengers because his native Strine would make Thor sound like Crocodile Dundee.
Lmao okay that’s legitimately hilarious