• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie's donations ain't no big deal: Trump raises >$40m from small donations in July

Sultan Of Swing

Fueled by Small Donations, Donald Trump Makes Up Major Financial Ground - New York Times

"Donald J. Trump all but erased his enormous fund-raising disadvantage against Hillary Clinton in the span of just two months, according to figures released by his campaign on Wednesday, converting the passion of his core followers into a flood of small donations on a scale rarely seen in national politics.

Mr. Trump and the Republican National Committee raised $64 million through a joint digital and mail effort in July, according to his campaign, the bulk of it from small donations. All told, Mr. Trump and his party brought in $82 million last month, only slightly behind Mrs. Clinton’s $90 million, and ended with $74 million on hand, suggesting he might now have the resources to compete with Mrs. Clinton in the closing stretch of the campaign.

“She’s been doing this for 20 years,” said Steven Mnuchin, a New York investor who is Mr. Trump’s finance chairman. “We’ve been doing it for two months.” More than two-thirds of the $64 million had come online, Mr. Mnuchin said.

The new figures indicate a major shift in Mr. Trump’s campaign, which until recent months was largely funded by hat and T-shirt sales and by Mr. Trump’s wallet. And they suggest that Mr. Trump has the potential to be the first Republican nominee whose campaign could be financed chiefly by grass-roots supporters pitching in $10 or $25 apiece, echoing the success of Senator Bernie Sanders of Vermont during the Democratic primary."

Bernie's fundraising record was $44 million, back in April.

From just online small donations, Trump has raised at least $40 million, being at least two-thirds of the $64mill.

This means Trump at least has rivalled Bernie's grassroots fundraising per month, or has likely exceeded it when also adding the small donations through mail.

Thoughts?

Mindmaster

Premium Member
It doesn't astonish me at all. Trump has a clear and easy to understand platform, and like it or lump it that means it is easy to get the message to the people that want to hear it. Twitter and possible facebook have even been blocking his fundraising tweets, and we don't care because most of us are getting his text messages. :D

They have tried so hard this election to deny him any right to be heard and I love that it is completely blowing up in their faces. They tried this crap with Sarah Palin as well, who despite her Alaskan wonky behavior was a really good governor. It's just not going to work this time, we know the MSM is in the tank for Shillbot, and we know they have been doing everything they can do to interfere with his social media contact. Trump just moved his game to text messages, and completely circumvented them.

They hate him because he constantly outsmarts them and still gets his message to the people. 100 million in Trump's hands is like 100 Billion in hers, she a complete dolt when it comes to money and it's going to shake out in November.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Its definitely a strong indicater of people's frustration and ire. With all the lives disrupted and interfered with in this country at the hands of Democrats, ignoring the constitution, lies after lies, smoke and mirrors, shady back room dealing, no transparency,

I'd be surprised to see Trump not getting the kind of monetary support were seeing. Very telling of the state of affairs today.

Saint Frankenstein

Wanderer From Afar
Premium Member
What exactly is he spending it on? I don't see any ads or anything from him, and I'm in a major swing state. Also, what is the maximum amount of a "small donation", anyway?

Kapalika

Premium Member
It doesn't astonish me at all. Trump has a clear and easy to understand platform, and like it or lump it that means it is easy to get the message to the people that want to hear it. Twitter and possible facebook have even been blocking his fundraising tweets, and we don't care because most of us are getting his text messages. :D

They have tried so hard this election to deny him any right to be heard and I love that it is completely blowing up in their faces. They tried this crap with Sarah Palin as well, who despite her Alaskan wonky behavior was a really good governor. It's just not going to work this time, we know the MSM is in the tank for Shillbot, and we know they have been doing everything they can do to interfere with his social media contact. Trump just moved his game to text messages, and completely circumvented them.

They hate him because he constantly outsmarts them and still gets his message to the people. 100 million in Trump's hands is like 100 Billion in hers, she a complete dolt when it comes to money and it's going to shake out in November.

A "good governor" that quit and then became a shill by making her own ****ty television network? Come on', you're smarter than that.

Trump outsmarting people? I can't help but have my 70 something grandfather's words echo in my mind:

"Trump is an idiot, he just says what ever crazy thing comes to his mind. It was entertaining at first to hear what he would say next, but him as president? Hell no."

Interestingly, me and him were both Sanders supporters. I don't know what he thinks about Hillary but as for me both Trump and Clinton can go die in a fire. At the very least I can say that while she is a crooked, lying self-serving politician, at least Clinton is mostly competent and has a measure of self control. I can't say the same for Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
They hate him because he constantly outsmarts them and still gets his message to the people.
The reason Trump hasn't lost any more ground than he has is because the Republicans haven't pulled out their big guns yet.
Nobody in the USA can outdo the GOP when it comes to smear campaigns.
Tom
ETA~ to the GOP hardcore, Trump is the new Clinton~

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
What if Trump held a campaign event in Wisconsin and no major Republican political figure in the state came there?

Oh, wait a minute, that just happened.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
What if Trump held a campaign event in Wisconsin and no major Republican political figure in the state came there?

Well one did. Ryan's opponent.
He got thrown out by Trump's staff.
Tom

Mindmaster

Premium Member

Trump supporting Ryan while Ryan and other state figures dis him just makes them look like spoiled brats. It doesn't hurt him at all, it's taking the high road, which I think he should have done more of. :D

Mindmaster

Premium Member
The reason Trump hasn't lost any more ground than he has is because the Republicans haven't pulled out their big guns yet.
Nobody in the USA can outdo the GOP when it comes to smear campaigns.
Tom
ETA~ to the GOP hardcore, Trump is the new Clinton~

Actually, he's been changing gears recently and just focusing on Hillary's stupidity. Don't have to smear her at all when she has a record of shady behavior. Just keep talking about the record.

metis

Trump supporting Ryan while Ryan and other state figures dis him just makes them look like spoiled brats. It doesn't hurt him at all, it's taking the high road, which I think he should have done more of. :D
I didn't know that "the high road" went to hell. :D

On the more serious side, I watched Trump endorse Ryan, and didn't that strike you as being a bit phony? He certainly didn't at all look enthused to me. Since there was some talk about an "intervention" and also figuring out a way that the party might legally dump him prior to the election, maybe Trump got "the message".

Here's Trump's worst enemy: Trump.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Actually, he's been changing gears recently and just focusing on Hillary's stupidity. Don't have to smear her at all when she has a record of shady behavior. Just keep talking about the record.
You mean the last few minutes?
It would be a change from attacking the families of fallen soldiers.
Tom

metis

And it's like he's squeaky clean? Gee, I wonder how many lawsuits have been filed against him, and we have yet to see how his "Trump University" trial is going to fair?

OTOH, I have repeatedly condemned Hillary's e-mail fiasco and her lying to defend herself, but when it comes to dishonest statements, Trump's horse already has a commanding lead.

Mindmaster

Premium Member
You mean the last few minutes?
It would be a change from attacking the families of fallen soldiers.
Tom

He never did. He attacked a guy who was working with the Muslim Brotherhood and taking bribes from the Clinton Foundation, and who just can't get enough of Sharia law. The son, the real hero Trump commended. His sad little man of a father who would profiteer on his sons death and trivialize it, that guy, oh yea... he let him have a can of whoop-***

metis

He never did. He attacked a guy who was working with the Muslim Brotherhood and taking bribes from the Clinton Foundation, and who just can't get enough of Sharia law.
Could you please provide a link to verify this?