• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bernie wants murderers, rapists, and thieves to vote for him. Among others.....

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
S ALL citizens - should have the full rights of citizenship.
Convicted prisoners lose many rights of citizenship while in prison, eg, gun ownership,
travel, no warrantless searches. You wouldn't be advocating restoring those rights too?
If not, then denying the right to vote is just a reasonable part of punishment.

Last edited:

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
Yes because people who repeatedly break our laws should be allowed to influence our lawmakers! Hey, let's give em back their guns as well! (Apparently I have to type that I am being sarcastic)

... especially how imprisonment has been used in the US as a way to disproportionately disenfranchise minorities.

Identitarian nonsense. Nobody is forcing anyone to commit crimes. Maybe criminals should, you know, try not committing crimes. :tearsofjoy: It's proven to keep the vast majority of the population out of prison after all!

Jumi

I don't know if prisoners should vote, probably the worst offenders shouldn't be allowed. In most countries there aren't enough prisoners that they could sway elections so these kinds of questions aren't polarising elsewhere. The US has the largest prison population in the world both proportionally and by headcount. China is catching up in numbers, but they are still quite far away and they have 4-5 times the citizens.

What percentage of them are murderers rapists and thieves when they enter prison? I tried looking around the net and it seems about 20% of them are not sentenced and 46% are there for non-victim crimes. Not sure how accurate Time magazine and wikipedia are on it. Another interesting stat was that the US has 1/4 of the worlds prisoners.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Yes because people who repeatedly break our laws should be allowed to influence our lawmakers! Hey, let's give em back their guns as well! (Apparently I have to type that I am being sarcastic)
I thought you were all about arming everyone you could, no?

Identitarian nonsense.
You learned a new word. Very good, but it doesn't apply in every situation.

Enoch07

It's all a sick freaking joke.
Premium Member
I thought you were all about arming everyone you could, no?

Sure thing, but convicted felons (especially repeat offenders deserve to lose some of their rights. If they wish to keep those rights perhaps the should behave more responsibly with them.

Very good, but it doesn't apply in every situation.

It does whenever someone brings up identity politics nonsense, to try and make the victimizers the victims. As is the case here.

... especially how imprisonment has been used in the US as a way to disproportionately disenfranchise minorities

Audie

Veteran Member
Sounds like it was a quote from a response to a question, so not necessarily a major platform plank, but it's refreshing to hear a politician suggest that citizens - ALL citizens - should have the full rights of citizenship.

... especially how imprisonment has been used in the US as a way to disproportionately disenfranchise minorities.

"Everyone should have full rights as citizenship"
sounds good, and in some sense maybe everyone
"should".

Among those full rights do you include the right
to keep and bear arms?

As for prison being used specifically to deny the
right to vote that sounds very impractical-and
difficult to show evidence that it is so.

Certain "minorities" are incarcerated out of
proportion to their percent of the population,
blacks in particular. Their choice, their behavior,
their loss of the sacred right to liberty,

As noted above these individuals who have victimized
others are somehow the victims because the
worst among them cannot vote? Victims, worse,
of a conspiracy to deny them the vote because
of, not their actions but their ethnicity?

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member
"Everyone should have full rights as citizenship"
sounds good, and in some sense maybe everyone
"should".

Among those full rights do you include the right
to keep and bear arms?

As for prison being used specifically to deny the
right to vote that sounds very impractical-and
difficult to show evidence that it is so.

Certain "minorities" are incarcerated out of
proportion to their percent of the population,
blacks in particular. Their choice, their behavior,
their loss of the sacred right to liberty,

As noted above these individuals who have victimized
others are somehow the victims because the
worst among them cannot vote? Victims, worse,
of a conspiracy to deny them the vote because
of, not their actions but their ethnicity?
Of course, the real issue for Bernie is that
prisons are a rich source of Democrat voters.

Erebus

The people with the most influence over lawmakers tend to be the same people who can afford to repeatedly break the law without consequence.

I actually disagree with Bernie on this one, since a prison is an ideal environment for both corruption and coercion. Just thought it was worth pointing out that criminals already wield political power.

Audie

Veteran Member
The people with the most influence over lawmakers tend to be the same people who can afford to repeatedly break the law without consequence.

I actually disagree with Bernie on this one, since a prison is an ideal environment for both corruption and coercion. Just thought it was worth pointing out that criminals already wield political power.

I have the solution to this ideal environment problem.
as well as several associated ones.

The USA should outsource. Send the prisoners to
China. There, for 5% of what it costs to keep them
here, they could learn many useful things.
Benefits to include:
-free Mandarin lessons
-how to work 16 hours a day making car tires
-discipline
-never ever ever to break no more American laws.

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
From the article:
“You’re paying a price, you committed a crime, you’re in jail. That’s bad,” Sanders said. “But you’re still living in American society and you have a right to vote. I believe in that, yes, I do.”

Are you, though?

Yerda

Veteran Member
I have the solution to this ideal environment problem.
as well as several associated ones.

The USA should outsource. Send the prisoners to
China. There, for 5% of what it costs to keep them
here, they could learn many useful things.
Benefits to include:
-free Mandarin lessons
-how to work 16 hours a day making car tires
-discipline
-never ever ever to break no more American laws.
Or, maybe they could halt the system that incarcerates people en masse for the purposes of private profit?