• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bermuda, First Nation To Repeal Same Sex Marriage

Truth7t7

Jesus Rules
TheWeek

UK under pressure after Bermuda becomes first country to repeal same-sex marriage
Feb 9th 2018

The legislation was voted through by the island’s government and signed into law by its British diplomat governor, John Rankin. It reverses a British Supreme Court ruling last year which legalised marriages for all couples. Bermuda will now restrict them to civil partnerships.

Altfish

Veteran Member
TheWeek

UK under pressure after Bermuda becomes first country to repeal same-sex marriage
Feb 9th 2018

The legislation was voted through by the island’s government and signed into law by its British diplomat governor, John Rankin. It reverses a British Supreme Court ruling last year which legalised marriages for all couples. Bermuda will now restrict them to civil partnerships.
Welcome to the 19th Century Bermuda, may you revel in your hateful ways.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
TheWeek

Feb 9th 2018

How disgustingly backwards. Humans never cease to amaze me. :rolleyes:

Kirran

Premium Member
I guess from their perspective, this is a successful push-back against an imposition by a faraway quasi-colonial government.

Marriage equality is a lot more genuine when it comes from the will of the populace than when it is imposed upon them.

Debate on the subject has definitely been increased drastically in Bermuda as a result of all this! So it'll get people thinking.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
In Western Europe my country is the only one which has "Civil unions" but not gay marriage.

How embarrassing...:(

It's the Vatican's presence....:cry::cry:

Last edited:

Truth7t7

Jesus Rules
I guess from their perspective, this is a successful push-back against an imposition by a faraway quasi-colonial government.

Marriage equality is a lot more genuine when it comes from the will of the populace than when it is imposed upon them.

Debate on the subject has definitely been increased drastically in Bermuda as a result of all this! So it'll get people thinking.

Wikipedia: California Proposition 8

You mean like California voting in (2008) on proposition 8 to ban same sex marriage that passed by a 52/47 popular vote, and was overturned by a homosexual judge Vaughn R. Walker, and pushed upon the peoples against their democratic voice.

Possibly the US with only three states approving of same sex marriage by popular vote, while five Liberal Supreme Court Justices pushed this without the democratice voice voting State by State as the three.

Last edited:

Kirran

Premium Member
Wikipedia: California Proposition 8

You mean like California voting in (2008) on proposition 8 to ban same sex marriage that passed by a 52/47 popular vote, and was overturned by a homosexual judge Vaughn R. Walker, and pushed upon the peoples against their democratic voice.

Possibly the US with only three states approving of same sex marriage by popular vote, while five Liberal Supreme Court Justices pushed this without the democratice voice voting State by State as the three.

Yeah, sure!

Although of course opinion polls in the USA now find very solid majority support for same-sex marriage.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
. Bermuda will now restrict them to civil partnerships.
Is there a legal distinction?
I personally don't care if religious homophobes lay claim to the word marriage. I just want equal treatment before the law.

It's mainly regressive religionist's inability to distinguish between there religious code and the legal code that resulted in gay marriage. The USA could have had civil equality, without "same sex marriage", a long time ago if Christians hadn't been opposed to both without distinction.
Christians invented the concept of gay marriage and insisted that it is a thing. Now they've got it. < looks unsuccessfully for a hat tipping emoticon >
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
I personally don't care if religious homophobes lay claim to the word marriage. I just want equal treatment before the law.

It's mainly regressive religionist's inability to distinguish between there religious code and the legal code that resulted in gay marriage. The USA could have had civil equality, without "same sex marriage", a long time ago if Christians hadn't been opposed to both without distinction.
Christians invented the concept of gay marriage and insisted that it is a thing. Now they've got it. < looks unsuccessfully for a hat tipping emoticon >
Tom

Many people would disagree! Civil unions/partnerships were originally instituted as like a 'lesser form' of marriage for same-sex couples. Therefore for many people they retain that association - legal equality is all very well, but actual social equality is harder to nail down, and things like this are a real part of that.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I personally don't care if relcigious homophobes lay claim to the word marriage. I just want equal treatment before the law.

in Italy they're practically identical, juridically speaking, but as for gay couples, only the stepchild adoption is allowed....that is, adopting your spouse's child.
It's de facto marriage, since they are called spouses and not partners.
So adoption rights are what makes Civil Unions different.

Luca, I'm gonna put you personally in charge of sorting this out.
:):) thank you Kirran...I'm so full of hope...

Last edited:
TheWeek

Feb 9th 2018

Hurray for bigotry! Jesus sure loves this!

Now if we could only help the homeless in Bermuda that would be great.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Many people would disagree! Civil unions/partnerships were originally instituted as like a 'lesser form' of marriage for same-sex couples. Therefore for many people they retain that association - legal equality is all very well, but actual social equality is harder to nail down, and things like this are a real part of that.
I understand what you are saying.
But it still seems like semantics to me.
If two people decide to marry, what they are doing is deciding to make each other "next of kin"(for lack of a more precise term) .
There are three separate things that they might want to have.
Legal recognition
A religious ritual
Social recognition
The first is in the purview of the state. I call that the civil union. The second is in the purview of religious organizations. I call that a wedding. The third isn't organized at all, it's up to individuals, particularly the couple.
All I expect from the state is the civil union part, it cannot provide the others. I would vehemently oppose trying to force religious organizations to do anything that they don't want to do. And nobody can make individuals recognize a relationship, I am sure that there are still people convinced that an interracial couple is as bad as a gay couple. But those are a tiny and shrinking minority, same as homophobes.
So all I expect from, or think can be provided by, the state is the civil union part.
Tom

Kirran

Premium Member
I understand what you are saying.
But it still seems like semantics to me.
If two people decide to marry, what they are doing is deciding to make each other "next of kin"(for lack of a more precise term) .
There are three separate things that they might want to have.
Legal recognition
A religious ritual
Social recognition
The first is in the purview of the state. I call that the civil union. The second is in the purview of religious organizations. I call that a wedding. The third isn't organized at all, it's up to individuals, particularly the couple.
All I expect from the state is the civil union part, it cannot provide the others. I would vehemently oppose trying to force religious organizations to do anything that they don't want to do. And nobody can make individuals recognize a relationship, I am sure that there are still people convinced that an interracial couple is as bad as a gay couple. But those are a tiny and shrinking minority, same as homophobes.
So all I expect from, or think can be provided by, the state is the civil union part.
Tom

I see what you're saying, of course, but I think that the widespread emotional import people lend to the state and its decisions, and to what can be achieved legally, mean that it has a broader and less definable impact than the strictly practical.

Woberts

The Perfumed Seneschal
and pushed upon the peoples against their democratic voice.
You seem to fit the bill of an American conservative. While we're on the topic of things being pushed upon the people, May I direct you to the 2016 Presidential election, where Clinton won the popular vote, but lost the election? The majority of American voted for her, and she didn't win. That sounds like something being "pushed upon the peoples against their democratic voice", doesn't it?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
It reverses a British Supreme Court ruling last year which legalised marriages for all couples. Bermuda will now restrict them to civil partnerships.
In Bermuda, what is the difference between legal marriage and civil partnership?
Tom