• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Bermuda, First Nation To Repeal Same Sex Marriage

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Remember that it's not just Bermuda. Lots of countries automatically recognize foreign marriages but don't automatically recognize civil unions.
Yeah, true. There is the reciprocity thing.
Civilized countries like the USA should only recognize marriages from countries that recognize ours.
All of them.
Tom

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
No one said it was, did they? My initial question stands.
Well marriage is usually considered a religious ceremony. Civil unions are still allowed with all the benefits of marriage, so I don't see a real problem unless there's a legal difference between civil union and marriage that I don't know about.

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Well marriage is usually considered a religious ceremony. Civil unions are still allowed with all the benefits of marriage, so I don't see a real problem unless there's a legal difference between civil union and marriage that I don't know about.
We're specifically discussing marriage as a secular legal institution. My initial question stands.

Kangaroo Feathers

Civil unions. it already is. Are you saying civil unions are denied?
Stop wriggling and try to answer my straightforward question, please.

No one said civil unions are denied. No one mentioned religios marriages. The question is; if heterosexual marriage is allowed as a secular government institution, why isn't same sex marriage?

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Apparently Bermudians think that there is. That's why they changed their law, isn't it?
Tom

Twilight Hue

Stop wriggling and try to answer my straightforward question, please.

No one said civil unions are denied. No one mentioned religios marriages. The question is; if heterosexual marriage is allowed as a secular government institution, why isn't same sex marriage?
Well it's pretty obtuse to say government performs religious ceremonies. Is Bermuda a religious government?

Go ask the religious institutions why they don't perform the marriages.

Twilight Hue

No it isn't.
Two Chinese atheists married by the atheist government of China are still married everywhere. Even theocracies, like Pakistan.
Tom
Atheism isn't a religion I thought you knew that.

There's no such thing.

Twilight Hue

Nevertheless, atheists get married and recognize marriages. It isn't, therefore, a particularly religious thing.
Tom
I think of those things as civil unions, same difference as far as I can tell. A marriage certificate or license is the same thing. It seems the only thing that was changed in the law was just the terminology. I'm not aware of any disadvantage that marriage or civil union has in comparison when it comes to benefits and such.

columbus

yawn <ignore> yawn
Well they haven't stopped their recognition for everybody as a couple and providing the same benefits. Have they?
I don't know.
I asked, specifically, what does this change in law mean? Bermudians seem to think that there's a difference. Penguin pointed out the possible difference in reciprocity. But I don't know.
Tom

Skwim

Veteran Member
Wikipedia: California Proposition 8

You mean like California voting in (2008) on proposition 8 to ban same sex marriage that passed by a 52/47 popular vote, and was overturned by a homosexual judge Vaughn R. Walker, and pushed upon the peoples against their democratic voice.
AND upheld by the Supreme Court of the United States's 2013 decision. Leaving Walker's 2010 ruling as the final decision on Proposition 8.

Possibly the US with only three states approving of same sex marriage by popular vote, while five Liberal Supreme Court Justices pushed this without the democratice voice voting State by State as the three.
Gee, I wonder how they did that. Suppose because it was within their legal right to do so?

Your whining

Whining-Child.jpg

is duly noted

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
TheWeek

UK under pressure after Bermuda becomes first country to repeal same-sex marriage
Feb 9th 2018

The legislation was voted through by the island’s government and signed into law by its British diplomat governor, John Rankin. It reverses a British Supreme Court ruling last year which legalised marriages for all couples. Bermuda will now restrict them to civil partnerships.
Don't forget to check under your bed at night so you don't catch the gay from those boogeymen homosexuals.

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber & Business Owner
"Colored people" fountains provided the same water as "white fountains." So why all the fuss about black people wanting to use the same water fountains?
Fortunately, it was ruled "separate but equal" doesn't fly.

Kangaroo Feathers

Well it's pretty obtuse to say government performs religious ceremonies. Is Bermuda a religious government?

Go ask the religious institutions why they don't perform the marriages.
No one mentioned religious ceremonies. My initial question stands.

Kangaroo Feathers

I think of those things as civil unions, same difference as far as I can tell. A marriage certificate or license is the same thing. It seems the only thing that was changed in the law was just the terminology. I'm not aware of any disadvantage that marriage or civil union has in comparison when it comes to benefits and such.
No one's asking about how you think of such things, the issue being discussed is a specific law made by an actual government.