• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Believing and Knowing. They are different!

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I know that some people interpret Psalm 14:1 as though it means that a person must accept the fact that God exists as they imagine.

The fool says in his heart, "There is no God." They are corrupt, their deeds are vile; there is no one who does good.

A fool hath said in his heart, 'God is not;' They have done corruptly, They have done abominable actions, There is not a doer of good.

But what I think it means is that they do not put God in their heart.
A person can believe without reservation that God exists but if he hasn't let God dwell in him, in his heart to lead him Psalms 14:1 applies to him.

It is the difference between convincing himself that God exists in his mind and calling on God to lead him by heart.

Someone who believes "in" God but is not convinced of God's ability to lead him is a fool. In my opinion, but only because David says so. :p

I could go off track here. I don't think I will.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It seems to me that some people have to convince themselves that they know God for God to be able to help them. But belief is what is needed, imo.

........along with time and attention.

Sanzbir

Chuang Tzu and a Confucian scholar were walking near a pond.

Chuang Tzu remarked "The fish must derive such great joy from swimming around like they do!!"

The scholar rebuffed "You are not a fish, so you cannot know what brings joy to a fish!!"

Chuang Tzu responded "You are not me, so you cannot know that I don't know what brings joy to a fish!!"

sayak83

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
If knowledge is fallible, can the reverse of your statement "I know that I am right" be applicable to anything at all? Thus the point you are trying to make in the OP, that the difference between belief and knowledge rests on knowing that a belief is right and not knowing it is right or not does not seem to hold.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
If knowledge is fallible, can the reverse of your statement "I know that I am right" be applicable to anything at all? Thus the point you are trying to make in the OP, that the difference between belief and knowledge rests on knowing that a belief is right and not knowing it is right or not does not seem to hold.
Is that what I wrote? Checking........no, I didn't.

I believe in God. I do not know that I am right.

DavidFirth

When I first believed I didn't know I was right. But now I do because He has confirmed it to me by His spirit.

Sanzbir

It's a very interesting question on whether or not one can truly know anything. I mean observation and evidence can only get you so far, since what if you're just dreaming right now??

There are people who say, "no, you cannot truly know anything at all." But that then begs the question... "How do you know that you cannot know anything??" :p

I always loved the somewhat trollish answer the Taoists gave to this question. To the effect of: "I don't know if it is possible to know anything." :D

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I believe in God. I do not know that I am right.

I never know if I'm 100% right. I just test when I can. Research to the best of my ability and try to make an informed decision. This gives me some level of confidence of being right. The more testing the more research the more confidence.

From the testing I've done and the personal research I've done, I've a very low confidence in any particular God's existence.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Rather, God's Spirit knows me. If you're not a Christian there is probably no way you'd believe me.
I am. But then you are not aware of what is written about the liar.
If you do not believe what is written about it then um how can you be so sure about God?

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
I never know if I'm 100% right. I just test when I can. Research to the best of my ability and try to make an informed decision. This gives me some level of confidence of being right. The more testing the more research the more confidence.

From the testing I've done and the personal research I've done, I've a very low confidence in any particular God's existence.
I think you are talking about feeling right. I am talking about being right.
In fact, I trust that if God is The God that I believe in, rightness belongs only to That One.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
When I first believed I didn't know I was right. But now I do because He has confirmed it to me by His spirit.
You are convinced you are right. I think that knowing is more than feelings and being convinced.
I am also convinced of God. I still do not know that I am right.

DavidFirth

I am. But then you are not aware of what is written about the liar.
If you do not believe what is written about it then um how can you be so sure about God?

According to Paul I'm no liar and all Christians have the gift of the Holy Spirit:

Ephesians 4:30
And do not grieve the Holy Spirit of God, with whom you were sealed for the day of redemption.

He was talking to Christians in general, not a specific few so I conclude he is saying that all Christians have the Spirit.