• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Belief and Reality

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
What happens when a person's belief doesn't align with reality?

It will lead to bad decisions sooner or later.

Next to that, the beliefs will, obviously, be inaccurate and false.

I like to believe as many true things as possible and the least false things possible. And to strife for that is a goal in itself with its own merrits.

Accurate and rational beliefs lead to sensible decisions.
Inaccurate and/or irrational beliefs, lead to bad decisions.

Having my beliefs line up with reality, is quite important to me.
And when beliefs don't line up with reality - it's never reality that is incorrect.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
I see Science is limited by our own mind,

It really, really isn't.
Science constantly takes us into place where our minds can't really go. If anything, our minds are pulled along by science while kicking and screaming.

Science allows us to discover aspects of reality that our minds would never be able to conceive off. In fact, many things discovered through science decades ago, still can't be conceived by our minds. Like the implicaitons of relativity or quantum weirdness. We can't wrap our minds around that. We know it works and we know the mathematical formula's. But by itself, it makes no sense in our minds.

Science, in a very real way, is what enables us to surpass our "mind limitations".

Wheras mind as a whole has unlimited potential.

In terms of imagination: sure.
In terms of unraveling actual physical reality: not even by a long shot.

A better study may be Religion and Science in harmony and not one against the other or in preference to the other.

Adding religion to science, would only slow science down or make it completely useless.

Earthtank

I have seen this with MANY MANY MANY MANY Atheists, Agnostics and Christians.

When this happens the Atheist says "anything is possible/I don't know/ I don;t believe"

When this happens the Agnostics says "I don't know"

When this happens the Christian say "because God/Jesus"

all 3 equally ignorant and arrogant in the correct situations

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
We all have our own reality, that make it interesting, that plus what is actual reality and not yet known! :)

Regards Tony

As I see it, we all have our own interface to reality, the unconscious mind. The accuracy of that interface is questionable. We use science to eliminate the inaccuracies as much as possible but can never fully guarantee the accuracy of the reality that we consciously experience.

I think through the process of science we are starting to see how unreliable the reality which we consciously experience can be.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
As I see it, we all have our own interface to reality, the unconscious mind. The accuracy of that interface is questionable. We use science to eliminate the inaccuracies as much as possible but can never fully guarantee the accuracy of the reality that we consciously experience.

I think through the process of science we are starting to see how unreliable the reality which we consciously experience can be.

I agree science is needed to explain our Material World and to also balance what is from the unconscious mind, but I see the unconscious mind as the source of all good and that the human mind/spirit can from visible and known premises, attain knowledge of the unknown and invisible. I see we need to find a connection to that source, to bring forth what is good, that to me includes what is good in science.

I have found that the human spirit has its limitations. It cannot comprehend the phenomena of the kingdom transcending the human station, for it is a captive of powers and life forces which have their operation upon its own plane of existence and it cannot go beyond that boundary, that is why we can not 'Prove God'. I see we can search for, observe and logically conclude what is from God

The more we connect to that Spirit (to me unconscious mind) the more we can reflect what is the real truth behind creation. It will also enable us to tap into all that is possible in this material world with science, with a spirit that fosters unity.

Christ talks about it in the Bible as being born again, a connection to the Spirit. In the Baha'i Writings there are hundreds of quotes on this subject.

In the Sikh writings we find;

"O my unconscious mind, remain conscious of the Lord, and you shall obtain the fruits of your desires." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 9 - Raag Goojaree)

"O my unconscious mind, become conscious and figure it out; the Saints speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 30 - Raag Saarang)

"Be conscious, be conscious, be conscious, O my unconscious mind." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 27 - Raag Kaydaaraa)

Regards Tony

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member
I agree science is needed to explain our Material World and to also balance what is from the unconscious mind, but I see the unconscious mind as the source of all good and that the human mind/spirit can from visible and known premises, attain knowledge of the unknown and invisible. I see we need to find a connection to that source, to bring forth what is good, that to me includes what is good in science.

I have found that the human spirit has its limitations. It cannot comprehend the phenomena of the kingdom transcending the human station, for it is a captive of powers and life forces which have their operation upon its own plane of existence and it cannot go beyond that boundary, that is why we can not 'Prove God'. I see we can search for, observe and logically conclude what is from God

The more we connect to that Spirit (to me unconscious mind) the more we can reflect what is the real truth behind creation. It will also enable us to tap into all that is possible in this material world with science, with a spirit that fosters unity.

Christ talks about it in the Bible as being born again, a connection to the Spirit. In the Baha'i Writings there are hundreds of quotes on this subject.

In the Sikh writings we find;

"O my unconscious mind, remain conscious of the Lord, and you shall obtain the fruits of your desires." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 9 - Raag Goojaree)

"O my unconscious mind, become conscious and figure it out; the Saints speak the Unspoken Speech of the Lord." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 30 - Raag Saarang)

"Be conscious, be conscious, be conscious, O my unconscious mind." (Shri Guru Granth Sahib : Section 27 - Raag Kaydaaraa)

Regards Tony

Interesting that they address the issue of the unconscious mind.

For a while I saw the unconscious mind as the/my enemy. Now I see it as something I have to work with to improve myself.

TransmutingSoul

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Interesting that they address the issue of the unconscious mind.

For a while I saw the unconscious mind as the/my enemy. Now I see it as something I have to work with to improve myself.

That is the way I see we need to use it. I see it is a choice. As I am no scholar in any way shape or form, I use my mind based in reason, nature, proofs of the spirit and science.

From the Baha'i writings it says we are created on the edge of darkness and at the beginning of light. To me that metaphor says that we are an emanation of this world, with all the potential of Light, or the good of the spirit within us. In another way, we can make rational choices between our animal self bound to nature and the spirit within that can transcend nature.

I see that we are very conscious of the animal we are, we know when we are looking after our own self and feeding all we want to be in the material world. The Spiritual part of our selves suppresses some of those natural tendencies, that would make us very selfish and allows us to choose to serve others. To bring from the conscious mind, the potential of what is in the unconscious mind.

From Psychology today I read;

"What's In the Unconscious Mind?

Many, if not most, of the operations of the mind take place below the level of conscious awareness. The conscious mind contains all the thoughts, feelings, cognitions, and memories we acknowledge, while the unconscious consists of deeper mental processes that are not readily available to the conscious mind; much of human motivation and interpersonal attraction takes shape beyond conscious awareness. The unconscious is the repository of automatic skills, the source of stored memories, intuition, fantasy and dreams, and an engine of information processing."

To me the Spirit within us can be used to look for all the good of our unconscious mind, or we turn to our conscious mind as the animal wand can use the unconscious mind in other ways.

All the best in life, regards Tony

Shelter

Religion and Science
I think it’s likely that no one sees reality completely, because our brains evolved to keep us alive, not to show us the truth.

It is natural and healthy for us to ignore a lot of reality. Sensory gating (our brain’s process of automatically screening out stimuli that are judged as irrelevant) is one example. People with schizophrenia often have impaired sensory gating, and as a result, they perform better on certain tests because they don’t screen out as much incoming information as the rest of us. Of course, this also leads to problems with normal functioning.

This could also mean there are lots of things we’re not seeing/not understanding in our world because there was never an evolutionary reason for us to notice them. Some animals see more of the color spectrum than we do, some can sense the earth’s magnetic field or electric fields, etc. And there are many areas of science where the obvious or intuitive understanding is completely wrong. Our intuition and our usual thought processes also evolved based on what was most likely in our environments and based on what was most helpful for our survival.

So, if we want to see more of reality, we have to learn to use our minds in ways they didn’t necessarily evolve to be good at…

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
I would think anyone's belief has to align with their reality. The problem maybe it doesn't align with the majority's reality and then depending on their actions depends on the majority's reaction. The majority will then label them as diseased, psychosis, neurosis, confusion,...etc.

Or the other way around...if their belief doesn’t align with the majority, that person will then label the majority as diseased, psychotic, neurotic, confused .etc.

Cuts both ways.

Howard Is

Lucky Mud
Many, if not most, of the operations of the mind take place below the level of conscious awareness. The conscious mind contains all the thoughts, feelings, cognitions, and memories we acknowledge, while the unconscious consists of deeper mental processes that are not readily available to the conscious mind; much of human motivation and interpersonal attraction takes shape beyond conscious awareness. The unconscious is the repository of automatic skills, the source of stored memories, intuition, fantasy and dreams, and an engine of information processing."

True.
The conscious mind is not the will.
The mind we call ego doesn’t make decisions. It presents a narrative integrating decisions already made unconsciously.

Survival, including normal communication and interaction, and responding to danger, depends on neural processing performed much faster than the high-level activity called thinking. Thinking happens at spoken language speed. What we call self is an ongoing rationale. A fabrication. It has no agency.

Anatta. Not self.

Last edited:

Muffled

Jesus in me

disease? psychosis? neurosis? confusion? innovation? fantasy?

is truth a bitter cup at times that some cannot assimilate? everyone wants it but not everyone will drink the dregs thereof?

in the twilight I have seen it. in the silence

the Father of all lights

I believe what some people call reality is simply another belief.

Muffled

Jesus in me
Faith is the metabolic fundamental to the universe. I have no essence... I am essence.

Do you mean that you think therefore you are. The Christian Scientists say that you never really existed because your mind is temporal. Their concept is that reality has to be permanent. I suppose that only leaves God as being real.

MonkeyFire

Do you mean that you think therefore you are. The Christian Scientists say that you never really existed because your mind is temporal. Their concept is that reality has to be permanent. I suppose that only leaves God as being real.

Nature is permanent, but still subjected to impermeance until suffering ends, the 4th nobel truth.