• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

being vs not

confused453

Which one is more scary?
1. Living forever (trillions and trillions of years) with no end in sight. Eventually experiencing every possible situation, including alternate universes, space travel, time travel, doing every job possible, becoming any possible imaginable and unimaginable creature, living in any possible and impossible conditions.
Wouldn't that eventually feel like you're trapped within your own self? Then what?

2. Even with the top of the line technology, one would be able to live for a extremely very very long time. But eventually one would die and just not be anymore.

confused453

The only way it could work is if one's memory is very short. Each experience coming as something new and exciting.

Right, but wouldn't you realize it after close to infinit amount of remembering and forgetting? Then what?

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
1. Living forever (trillions and trillions of years) with no end in sight. Eventually experiencing every possible situation, including alternate universes, space travel, time travel, doing every job possible, becoming any possible imaginable and unimaginable creature, living in any possible and impossible conditions.
Wouldn't that eventually feel like you're trapped within your own self? Then what?
...or worse, an invisible and intangiable whisp only able to watch things occur, feeling nothing. How about being eternally tickled by high speed neutrons? How about if spirits are real but are eventually sucked into stars where we are made to wait for billions of years for a stars eventual death, and if we are lucky it becomes a small dead planet not a black hole. How about this....you become a spirit and are rapidly left behind by our speedy planet and galaxy, unable to keep up with them. That's not so pleasant.

Civil Shephard

Being or Non-being... Hmm, is that the question?

Here's my take... I AM THAT I AM!

Big Bang or still small voice the proof isn't always in the pudding pop! Real chocolate may be used but some prefer the artificial substitute taste. You can take the boy out of the ghetto but whose gonna cover the health insurance?

I AM being is without proof on purpose so that faith requires a look through a dark glass at an Undiscovered Country. No need for holidays at the Heavenly Inn. Unstuck from particulars will make your realization broad... Even feminist won't be offended.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
Right, but wouldn't you realize it after close to infinit amount of remembering and forgetting? Then what?
Amnesia would erase that memory. My theory is that God/Brahman has existed forever and already has the issue you were trying to describe in the OP, so what does he do? - he incarnates himself in finite forms (like us) and experiences everything as new. Eventually we (as separate individuals) will realize the Oneness and that game ends for that one particular entity that felt separate.

Civil Shephard

In questioning the nature of being why are y'all stuck on present perceptions? Don't you think the very nature of consciousness would be fundamentally different from our present one?