• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Being an Atheist

Caiman

So, you don't believe in god- you're an atheist ;)

Sometimes people call me an 'agnostic'- because I don't completely disregard the existance of god, but in general- I do say that I am not a believer. I'm currently reading the Christian Bible, because I want to familiarise myself with it, get a better insight into things- I intend to read other religious material too, not because I am interested in becoming religious, but because I feel I can make much better informed comments when I can back myself up.

What makes me an Atheist? I guess you could call it the absence of faith- I just don't believe that there is an almighty being up there who created the universe, Billions of galaxies, trillions of starts, all just for us, his special creation on Earth, to look at. The great 'lack of evidence' also plays a big part in it- alot of what I do believe in, have faith in- is tangible, I can see it, I know it is real.

Is God real? Perhaps he is, but alot of me says no- there is no supreme lord over the universe. I believe and have faith in current scientific exploration and explanation of how life arose, how the universe was formed and created. What about you? (I have alot more to say, I've really limited myself hear to save for later conversing :D)

What do you think about religion as a whole, as an atheist?

Caiman-

I was brought up a Presbyterian Christian, then attended a Catholic high school because I wanted to study the Bible and learn more about Christianity in general. Ironically, I became more skeptical of religion during this time, and now I'm an atheist.

Being an atheist, I must say, is NOTHING like I thought it would be. I'm no longer frustrated with the logical inconsistencies of religious doctrine- the world makes so much more sense to me now. Also I still feel just as if not more meaning in my life now that I've let go of my old beliefs.

As far as what I think about religion as a whole- I think it can be both a good and a bad thing. I'm not sure everyone can be an atheist, as the mere suggestion of a world without a God in it makes a lot of people depressed (not for me though).

Ceridwen018

Agreed.

I was born into a Catholic family and have attended Catholic schools my entire life. Talk about a case of severe cabin fever!
Even when I was young, I was very interested in the bible and enjoyed reading into it and trying to fit the square into the circular hole, so to speak. I've always had a very questioning nature, and my questions and lack of possible conclusions multiplied to the point where it just wasn't logical anymore.
Atheism opens up so many more possibilities. I have a much better sense of self now.
I think many believers find the idea of no god to be depressing because they do not approach it from a phiolsophical state of mind. Instead of reveling in the new doors and concepts which are opened to them, they react as if they've lost a grandpa. Perhaps this is the normal process of things (I personally cannot relate), but what I can say, and from personal experience too (wink to Mr. Spinkles), is that when you're talking to believers, you have to kind of put the ideas into their heads and allow them to come to their own conclusions. Beliefs are the most personal thing someone can have, and so its only to be expected that they would be severly defended when attacked. Haha, it sounds like we're strategizing for war here, but it fits nicely. The best way to defeat the 'adversary' is not to fight them, but to get them to fight themselves.

Hey Ceridwen!

In case anyone is wondering, Ceridwen and I are friends- she and I go to the same Catholic high school, as a matter of fact!

Good say, by the by.

Ceridwen018

Haha, good question. From my perspective, we just kind of lay low, although we both love to talk about our ideas. Whenever a discussion on this kind of thing comes up, I'm not afraid to speak out, but it is a fine art indeed. Some of the stuff I believe in, people have never even heard of before and that can be very threatening. You kinda just have to put ideas in their heads and let them come to their own conclusions.

My friends know what I think of religion, and they accept me for it. Others know too, and it's not a problem for them either, they just don't really like to talk about it. Mr. Spinkles and I are a rare breed in our school, but we aren't the only ones!

This my surprise you October, but I actually love my Catholic school a lot. The teachers and students are without exception caring, warm hearted people.

Catholics may have strict beliefs, but I have found that (at this school at least) they are very tolerant and accepting of others. I've NEVER once heard a fire and brimstone speech here about how heathens are going to hell... most of the preaching centers on "God is love-let us all learn to love one another" etc.

I say, good for them! In my opinion religion CAN be a positive thing (though not always).

Getting back to what Caiman was talking about-

Caiman I'm afraid I probably don't have much to add- I agree completely with everything you've said already.

Sorry, it does kind of suprise me, I seem to alternate between believeing that the world outside the bible belt is different and that it is the same. I grew up in Florida, and every religious person I have ever met (mostly christian of some sort) have all acted like I am going to hell and they single-handedly were going to help me -just sit real still and this will all be over soon- lol, ok, I am being funny, but you know what I mean, lol. I guess I know deep down inside that religious people to the north think differently, but when I come in contact with them I think it is my natural reaction to prepare for the worst, lol. When you said you went to a Catholic School and said your beliefs I thought oh how sad that must be, those poor people, they must be surrounded, lol. I am trying to keep myself from having that reaction and to be even more open-minded than I am capable of now, even to the people that do tend to come off that way. I guess I have traveled a long road to being defensive, I am working on that tho :oops:

Ceridwen018

I know exactly what you're talking about. My family is very southern--to the point where my grandpa and his eight other brothers and sisters refused to attend the wedding of the tenth child (his sis) because she was marrying a Presbyterian. Needless to say, they have no inkling of what goes on in my mind, and for my own health, i'm happy to keep it that way!

What you've got to think about though, is that you have just as much right to believe what you believe as they do to their own beliefs. Don't 'prepare for the worst' because if they treat you inferiorly (is that a word?) then that is outright rudeness on their part. Think of how shocked they would be if you were to give them a taste of their own medicine!

It is good that you recognize your tendency to be defensive and are trying to correct it, because lemme tell ya, that is the kiss of death. There is nothing that turns people off to you more. I wouldn't worry too much about other people though, because they'll think what they will no matter what.

Ceridwen018

Haha, good question. From my perspective, we just kind of lay low, although we both love to talk about our ideas. Whenever a discussion on this kind of thing comes up, I'm not afraid to speak out, but it is a fine art indeed. Some of the stuff I believe in, people have never even heard of before and that can be very threatening. You kinda just have to put ideas in their heads and let them come to their own conclusions.

My friends know what I think of religion, and they accept me for it. Others know too, and it's not a problem for them either, they just don't really like to talk about it. Mr. Spinkles and I are a rare breed in our school, but we aren't the only ones!

This my surprise you October, but I actually love my Catholic school a lot. The teachers and students are without exception caring, warm hearted people.

Catholics may have strict beliefs, but I have found that (at this school at least) they are very tolerant and accepting of others. I've NEVER once heard a fire and brimstone speech here about how heathens are going to hell... most of the preaching centers on "God is love-let us all learn to love one another" etc.

I say, good for them! In my opinion religion CAN be a positive thing (though not always).

Getting back to what Caiman was talking about-

Caiman I'm afraid I probably don't have much to add- I agree completely with everything you've said already.

Sorry, it does kind of suprise me, I seem to alternate between believeing that the world outside the bible belt is different and that it is the same. I grew up in Florida, and every religious person I have ever met (mostly christian of some sort) have all acted like I am going to hell and they single-handedly were going to help me -just sit real still and this will all be over soon- lol, ok, I am being funny, but you know what I mean, lol. I guess I know deep down inside that religious people to the north think differently, but when I come in contact with them I think it is my natural reaction to prepare for the worst, lol. When you said you went to a Catholic School and said your beliefs I thought oh how sad that must be, those poor people, they must be surrounded, lol. I am trying to keep myself from having that reaction and to be even more open-minded than I am capable of now, even to the people that do tend to come off that way. I guess I have traveled a long road to being defensive, I am working on that tho :oops:

Ceridwen018

I know exactly what you're talking about. My family is very southern--to the point where my grandpa and his eight other brothers and sisters refused to attend the wedding of the tenth child (his sis) because she was marrying a Presbyterian. Needless to say, they have no inkling of what goes on in my mind, and for my own health, i'm happy to keep it that way!

What you've got to think about though, is that you have just as much right to believe what you believe as they do to their own beliefs. Don't 'prepare for the worst' because if they treat you inferiorly (is that a word?) then that is outright rudeness on their part. Think of how shocked they would be if you were to give them a taste of their own medicine!

It is good that you recognize your tendency to be defensive and are trying to correct it, because lemme tell ya, that is the kiss of death. There is nothing that turns people off to you more. I wouldn't worry too much about other people though, because they'll think what they will no matter what.

tumble_weed

hmm I'm liking this place...well I'm from Australia where there are apparently 29 major religions observed here so usually it is somewhat more tolerant...but however I am at a christain school and we had a chapel lesson today...every one of these lessons really annoys me...in fact to the point I even did an oral presentation about religion...I made up my own religion...Beh...

but anyway to answer

you think about religion as a whole, as an atheist?

well usually I try to be open minded but religion is one thing which makes me really struggle...mostly it isn't the actual religion that's the worst part (I'm mainly refering to the 33% of everyone religion-Christianity) but people usually seem to just blindly follow it...usually when it's most convenient for them...Ie...they use the religion as a means of defence...

etc...

For me, belief in religion makes more sense. Before, I didn't know much about religion, made no sense, like why would a loving God send us to Hell if he loves us so much? But, later, somebody helped me, gave me a Qur'an...I can never thank him enough. I live in a Muslim family, but they aren't exactly interested in the Creator, other than the fact that He created us. Islam makes a whole lot more sense than Christianity, though. I go to a Christian school, and we had chapel...didn't make much sense. One day, me and a kid in my class who was also Muslim, started saying: How can Jesus be Allah's Son? You need a mother for that. How can He give birth? And this discussion was when we were in Grade 1. Talk about a failing religion. Even kids can tell if it wrong, that is, if their parents don't brainwash them.

canadianhorsefan