• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Behind the closed doors of the Vatican

metis

aged ecumenical anthropologist
Conspiracy theories are a dime-a-dozen, thus I don't take them seriously unless there's somewhat significant evidence.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Conspiracy theories are a dime-a-dozen, thus I don't take them seriously unless there's somewhat significant evidence.

Indeed. I assure you that many Catholics in Italy don't think good things about the Vatican.
I guess being Catholic is another thing...
:)

metis

Indeed. I assure you that many Catholics in Italy don't think good things about the Vatican.
I guess being Catholic is another thing...
:)
Everyone's got opinions. As for me, I have always had mixed emotions about the Vatican, and most other things, btw.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
Everyone's got opinions. As for me, I have always had mixed emotions about the Vatican, and most other things, btw.

I think the separation of Church and State in Italy obliges people like me to have 2 personalities who coexist within.
When I watch Pope Francis perform as the Holy Father, I see him in a positive light...being a Christian.
But when he speaks about political issues, I see him as the head of a foreign state who says things I find absolutely wrong.

Last edited:

Tambourine

Is the Vatican still the symbol of Carholicism or is it something too corrupt and politically poisoned?
Why can't it be both?

From what I know of the history of the Papacy, and the Vatican in particular, that institution has always been rife with intrigue, politicking, corruption, and financial scandals, as well as figurative and literal poison.

metis

I think the separation of Church and State in Italy obliges people like me to have 2 personalities who coexist within.
When I watch Pope Francis perform as the Holy Father, I see him in a positive light...being a Christian.
But when he speaks anout political issues, I see him as the head of a foreign state who says things I find absolutely wrong.
I felt much the same way about Pope Benedict at times, and this goes back even when he was a bishop and theologian.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
I felt much the same way about Pope Benedict at times, and this goes back even when he was a bishop and theologian.

Benedict was not that liked at first because he wanted to restore the Our Father in Latin...
The Pater Noster...lol...:p

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@metis

Btw...I have noticed that in American Catholicism Latin is still used...right? In songs and in other stuff...
Here in Europe...not at all. Each country use their own language.

metis

Btw...I have noticed that in American Catholicism Latin is still used...right? In songs and in other stuff...
Only a small number of chants in Latin are used, and they're only generally used during holiday masses. Generally speaking, all our readings, prayers, and songs are in English.

My wife and I don't go there often, but a local church about 10 miles from where we live has one mass in English and a second mass in Italian since we have so many Italians in our area.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
My wife and I don't go there often, but a local church about 10 miles from where we live has one mass in English and a second mass in Italian since we have so many Italians in our area.
Oh...I see...that's interesting.

Estro Felino

Believer in free will
Premium Member
@YoursTrue

As for your question about the Vatican...
This is the right thread.

Is that a Pope, in you opinion ? Or an entertainer?
Charlie Hebdo tragedy had just happened...
The Pope's take. There is the video.
""" if someone insults my mother with a swear word, I will punch them. It is normal. """".