• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Beer and why I hate it

Sha'irullah

رسول الآلهة
. . . I hate carbonation, there you go. I have never been able to understand why beer is so loved when I put it in the same category as soda. The stuff is gross and upsets my stomach when I feel the fizzy beverage touch my throat. Such is the same with beer. All beer is ultimately the same and no expensive micro brewed IPA is different than a cheap Budweiser.

Then a miracle happened. I discovered the joys of flat beer when downing some malt liquor. The feel of refreshing flat beer is the best and after drinking Sapporo almost congruent flat I realized how good beer taste flat.

Am I alone on my love of flat beer?

Terrywoodenpic

Oldest Heretic
. . . I hate carbonation, there you go. I have never been able to understand why beer is so loved when I put it in the same category as soda. The stuff is gross and upsets my stomach when I feel the fizzy beverage touch my throat. Such is the same with beer. All beer is ultimately the same and no expensive micro brewed IPA is different than a cheap Budweiser.

Then a miracle happened. I discovered the joys of flat beer when downing some malt liquor. The feel of refreshing flat beer is the best and after drinking Sapporo almost congruent flat I realized how good beer taste flat.

Old fashioned barrel beer was/is flat, but still manages a small head.

Grandliseur

When travelling it is perhaps safer to drink beer than water from the well or tap. In was what made the younger me come to like an occasional beer.
Sorry for sounding stupid, but I wasn't aware that beer contained carbonation as a rule. But, perhaps I am drinking the cheap stuff?! :) Other sodas, wine, etc. I don't mind carbonation in.

Not a connoisseur on beer, but a beer that has stood opened for a few hours is not much fun.

My preferred drink is grapefruit juice - just juice, and coffee, cold or hot.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

I don't like flat beer, but some of the beers I like a lot are nitrogenated, not carbonated (e.g. Guinness, Caffrey's). Much smoother: the bubbles are much smaller so you don't feel them burst the same way you can feel CO2 bubbles, and the nitrogen isn't acidic.

Srivijaya

Lager is just plain evil.

Fortunately, there are alternatives:

A good quality German white wine, mead, good cider and (if you can get it) Theakston's Old Peculier.

I'm not much of a drinker in any case and I can go months without anything and not miss it.

Nakosis

Non-Binary Physicalist
Premium Member

Is flat beer about to become a thing?

A Vestigial Mote

I can't get past the taste. I don't know... for me there is absolutely nothing redeemable about the taste of beer. I always get friends offering me something saying "You might like this... it doesn't taste like beer." And guess what taste I immediately put it down to upon taking a sip? Beer.

Even some of the flavored malt beverages turn me off because I can taste the hint of the malt beneath the other flavors they have infused it with. I've found myself simply unable to enjoy the stuff in any of its varieties.

Revoltingest

Pragmatic Libertarian
Premium Member

I like flat beer & warm beer, but only the thicker richer stuff...
McEwan's Ale, Mackeson Triple Stout

I developed a taste for flat beer by not drinking it quickly enuf,
& not storing it properly. But flatness only works for some
brews.....others become tossworthy.

beenherebeforeagain

Rogue Animist
Premium Member
I like flat beer & warm beer, but only the thicker richer stuff...
McEwan's Ale, Mackeson Triple Stout

I developed a taste for flat beer by not drinking it quickly enuf,
& not storing it properly. But flatness only works for some
brews.....others become tossworthy.
The first beer I drank flat was the American Budweiser...going flat just changed the way in which it was really bad to begin with...

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
If your water is infected drink beer.
If the beer goes bad drink wine.
If the wine spoils drink the water.

SomeRandom

Still learning to be wise
Staff member
Premium Member
I hate beer. Which is sacreligious given my Australian status. Give me bourbon, scotch or whiskey any day.