• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Been watching some debate lately.

Lorgar-Aurelian

Here are a couple of debates I watched recently on youtube so I thought I would put them up here and see what you all thought.

And here is David Wood's video on why he is a Christian.

Brickjectivity

wind and rain touch not this brain
Staff member
Premium Member
Here are my notes on video #3. I watched it and marked some segments. It is the story of conversion of a murderer to a believer in Jesus. Its a bit long but interesting.

The first 20 minutes are background for him. He has some mental problems, he does not feel normal empathy, and he attempts to kill his dad. He's also bright but not very introspective and has an abnormally self-centric view of things. Early on when he's describing his murder attempt he says "Interestingly, some of my amazing insights into the nature of reality actually slowed me down." This is a person who is a little different and is very left brained. That is why their conversion is of a left brained variety. It is not specifically how everyone converts, but the basis fits into a general paradigm of self improvement. Its why most people convert.

Walks past sign in the subway that says "Nature must not win the game." 19:40 Which is interesting because of some things he says before that about how he feels people live just according to their nature sometimes.

He mentioned the complexity of living cells 21:00 and he wondered why he had always just accepted what people had told him about how people came into existence. He began to question how cells could be so complex without a designer.

21:29 Apostles died for what they believed, not for something they had been convinced of but for something they had seen themselves. He respected that and reflected upon the sincerity of their martyrdom.

27:20 He wondered how he could become a good person. He also wanted to compete with Jesus. Previously he had considered himself to be the best person in the world, but he decided Best was meaningless without a standard.

29:50 His account of what it felt like to be converted.

30:42 Moves towards his conclusion with "True freedom"

33:20 One of the key ingredients that transform people: forgiveness and new life. He ends with a quote of Ezekiel 36:26 "A new heart also will I give you, and a new spirit will I put within you: and I will take away the stony heart out of your flesh, and I will give you an heart of flesh."

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
Good examples of romanticism.

Helps people cope with issues and problems on something bigger than themselves. Like having a superhero in their lives.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Good examples of romanticism.

Helps people cope with issues and problems on something bigger than themselves. Like having a superhero in their lives.

Unfortunately, it's an unhealthy coping mechanism. It doesn't actually solve any problems and it doesn't actually answer any questions, it just makes you feel good about not asking anymore. And believing you have a superhero in your life doesn't mean that you actually have a superhero in your life. It just makes you delusional.

Twilight Hue

Unfortunately, it's an unhealthy coping mechanism. It doesn't actually solve any problems and it doesn't actually answer any questions, it just makes you feel good about not asking anymore. And believing you have a superhero in your life doesn't mean that you actually have a superhero in your life. It just makes you delusional.

Yes, yet it helps through any transition in the interim by continuing support and drive for those who are first experiencing COF issues until the feet touch the ground, and start noticing the delusion.

Its still healthy to revere iconic hero's and the sought over qualities that essentally provides life with It's "salt".

In the end, both deluded and those past various delusions will essentally end on common ground. Delusion isn't forever as well as it's counterpart when you give it some thought, although it certainly makes sense to not want to live by embellishment and fabrication, and is recommended.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
Yes, yet it helps through any transition in the interim by continuing support and drive for those who are first experiencing COF issues until the feet touch the ground, and start noticing the delusion.

Its still healthy to revere iconic hero's and the sought over qualities that essentally provides life with It's "salt".

In the end, both deluded and those past various delusions will essentally end on common ground. Delusion isn't forever as well as it's counterpart when you give it some thought, although it certainly makes sense to not want to live by embellishment and fabrication, and is recommended.

I don't buy that at all. It's like saying that crack cocaine helps someone who is otherwise addicted to heroin. That doesn't make crack cocaine a good thing, nor anything admirable. One of the most basic parts of the maturation process is coming to grips with reality, on reality's terms. It's learning to live in the real world as it actually is, not as one might wish it was. Far too many people never reach that level or emotional or intellectual maturity however and the idea that we ought to just throw up our hands and say "oh well, they're just too stupid to handle reality" is really a sad statement on the state of humanity. We ought to be better than that.

Twilight Hue

I don't buy that at all. It's like saying that crack cocaine helps someone who is otherwise addicted to heroin. That doesn't make crack cocaine a good thing, nor anything admirable. One of the most basic parts of the maturation process is coming to grips with reality, on reality's terms. It's learning to live in the real world as it actually is, not as one might wish it was. Far too many people never reach that level or emotional or intellectual maturity however and the idea that we ought to just throw up our hands and say "oh well, they're just too stupid to handle reality" is really a sad statement on the state of humanity. We ought to be better than that.

I'm basing things off my own personal past and recent experiences.

The reason why I say intellectualizing as it pertains to beliefs, contrasted with our natural grasp on reality itself through any lens of beliefs, or the actual directness for which things play out void of such embellishments, makes little difference in the long term.

That, aside from the short term, dosent really make a difference one way or another ultimately speaking.

Eventually It will all be essentially gone. . Everything.

Once life ends, so does everything we know as fact and believe as fact. None of it impacts the actual processes at play because it's all still the same thing. Just the interpretation of what everyone experiences and the subsquent how's and why differ.

This makes us who we are imv and whatever is to come "next" in the long term will come past the time we experience life here as human beings. Even present thoughts and experiences will eventually be lost while reality itself takes all those experiences and definitions into the abyss upon our deaths, which is where we all rose from in the first place.

Cephus

Relentlessly Rational
I'm basing things off my own personal past and recent experiences.

The reason why I say intellectualizing as it pertains to beliefs, contrasted with our natural grasp on reality itself through any lens of beliefs, or the actual directness for which things play out void of such embellishments, makes little difference in the long term.

That, aside from the short term, dosent really make a difference one way or another ultimately speaking.

Eventually It will all be essentially gone. . Everything.

Once life ends, so does everything we know as fact and believe as fact. None of it impacts the actual processes at play because it's all still the same thing. Just the interpretation of what everyone experiences and the subsquent how's and why differ.

This makes us who we are imv and whatever is to come "next" in the long term will come past the time we experience life here as human beings. Even present thoughts and experiences will eventually be lost while reality itself takes all those experiences and definitions into the abyss upon our deaths, which is where we all rose from in the first place.

So in other words, it doesn't matter what an idiot you act like when you're alive because someday, you'll be dead and it just won't matter. o_O

Twilight Hue

So in other words, it doesn't matter what an idiot you act like when you're alive because someday, you'll be dead and it just won't matter. o_O

In some respect yes.

I think most everything we say or do involves some sense of personal conformity, weither it's self guided or influenced by others to whom such a person, who doesn't fit one's personal perspective in some manner or fashion for whatever givin reason, is typically seen as detrimental.

Deluded or not, we all tread a one way existance and the end result will still be the same for everyone, regardless of their present disposition and outlook. I'm fairly certain things will continue on regardless as it always has. I think it's importaint to still keep that in mind.

As I see it, people usually try to make the best of things weither it's done through a conceived fantasy world involving rose colored glasses, or something more grounded and rational. Reality involves both of those things as we all share the same base experience.

Its just a matter of individual interpretation for which this dosent change the overall scheme of things, and it's only good for this life.