• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Barbarism: has humanity changed at all?

Is modern humanity akin to ancient barbarians?

• Yes

Votes: 4 50.0%
  • No

Votes: 4 50.0%

• Total voters

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
I have seen it said by historians that when we look at history, we are looking at a society that has passed us by. One of rampant barbarism where murder and rampage was the norm. But no more! For we have evolved, our society that is. At least according to them.

I believe it not to be the case. I believe that our exponential growth in technological progress gives the illusion of progress in other categories, such as societal development.

The technology is there now to where we can end world hunger or whatever. But we build bombs instead and blow up countries. What has changed, other than our capacity to completely eliminate humanity?

I am of the opinion that, if humanity survives past this century, that the humans of the 21st century will be seen as ancient barbarians. Though I don't suppose the 22nd century folk will be any better.

an anarchist

Your local anarchist.
Our legal system may be hella complex as well, but so what? I'd say that complexity in government has been the norm since the Sumerians had Priestly kings.

Heyo

Veteran Member
I have seen it said by historians that when we look at history, we are looking at a society that has passed us by. One of rampant barbarism where murder and rampage was the norm. But no more! For we have evolved, our society that is. At least according to them.

I believe it not to be the case. I believe that our exponential growth in technological progress gives the illusion of progress in other categories, such as societal development.

The technology is there now to where we can end world hunger or whatever. But we build bombs instead and blow up countries. What has changed, other than our capacity to completely eliminate humanity?

I am of the opinion that, if humanity survives past this century, that the humans of the 21st century will be seen as ancient barbarians. Though I don't suppose the 22nd century folk will be any better.
Humans are pretty much the same as our prehistoric ancestors but humanity has gone through a cultural evolution. Our Overton window doesn't include slavery or serfdom, tyranny, cruel punishment, etc. That is not to say that it doesn't happen any more just that it is seen as barbaric in civilised countries. Civilised countries have distanced themselves from practices that our relatives from the past wouldn't bat an eye about.
But that veneer of civilisation is thin and it can come off fast in emergencies. Some people still, when they hear the word "culture", still reach for their gun so we have to be vigilante to keep what we have reached.

If we can avoid the predicted societal collapse that is predicted for the mid of this century or if we can recover quick from it, the 21st century may see us as barbarians but probably not more than we see society of the 20th century. Cultural evolution is much faster than biological but it still takes centuries for ideas to permeate through a society. But given the record, I expect humanity to reach new steps of culture slowly with an averaged constant rate. I also expect short periods of utter collapse of civilisation at least locally.

vulcanlogician

We're domesticated barbarians. Whether that turns out to be better or worse than wild barbarians has yet to be seen.

I tend toward optimism. But, y'know, future holocausts are possible. We need to be aware that humans have a capacity for violence and cruelty.

Quagmire

Imaginary talking monkey
Staff member
Premium Member
Our Overton window doesn't include slavery or serfdom, tyranny, cruel punishment, etc. That is not to say that it doesn't happen any more just that it is seen as barbaric in civilised countries. Civilised countries have distanced themselves from practices that our relatives from the past wouldn't bat an eye about
The problem is that we've literally distanced ourselves from those things; that is to say we tolerate all of the above as long as it's happening in a different part of the world.

For the most part we deal with practices that are seen as barbaric by not looking at them.

Heyo

Veteran Member
The problem is that we've literally distanced ourselves from those things; that is to say we tolerate all of the above as long as it's happening in a different part of the world.

For the most part we deal with practices that are seen as barbaric by not looking at them.
I don't see that as a problem but as a higher virtue. Avoiding military conflict is one of the hallmarks of modern civilised countries. We know from experience that colonialism ("bringing civilisation to the savages") doesn't work. The "barbarians" have to evolve themselves, just as we did, naturally.
We can and should hold our own industries to our standards of human rights, though. I.e. demanding they don't profit from and thus promote inhumane conditions abroad.

Sakeenah

Still Barbarians but a bit more sophisticated.

flowerpower

We've come a long way but humans are gon' human.

Not that long ago (WW2), we had people in our own civilization enjoying the practice of shrunken heads as trophies.

You can't really point to any era of human history where westerners were ever truly peaceful abroad (the 90s? but even that's a massive reach).

JIMMY12345

Humans ,animals like dogs are evolving with smaller brains.We are kinder with each generation.Some of us.
ps Technology needs less brainpower then competing with a lion in the wild for food.