• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

baptised

BSM1

What? Me worry?
Baptism should not be something you think you "have" to do. It should be a natural progression of your spiritual journey. When you feel it's the right time and it's the right person performing the ritual (no agendas, truthful, etc.) the Baptism will be more meaningful.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Baptism should not be something you think you "have" to do. It should be a natural progression of your spiritual journey. When you feel it's the right time and it's the right person performing the ritual (no agendas, truthful, etc.) the Baptism will be more meaningful.

This is an excellent way of stating it.

idea

Question Everything
I agree if I get well enough may get baptised in future, thanks for advice

It could be something that you look forward to, and motivates you / encourages you. It's always good to have something to work towards! I wish you blessings, peace, and the comfort of your Savior as you continue to study the scriptures, and seek His saving grace.

(
New Testament | Mark 9:23)
23 Jesus said unto him, If thou canst believe, all things are possible to him that believeth.

watch this video, we all have our "Mountains to Climb"
[youtube]xdN8rfwW3SI[/youtube]
Mountains to Climb - YouTube

Breathe

Hostis humani generis
I agree if I get well enough may get baptised in future, thanks for advice
I think this is the important thing. If you can, you would like to.
But I don't think God would hold it against you if you didn't. I don't think it's a requirement for God's love. After all, "For God so loved the world"... :)
My opinion is take things (including the possibility of baptism, if you want it; if not that's fine) one step at a time.

Riverbraid

Thanks very much for video and wishes I will be thinking about getting baptised do my best to make it happen thanks everybody for the advice

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
Hi just want to know do you have to baptised to be a christian?
Thanks,
Harold

Baptism is only a symbol. Some denominations teach that one doesn't need to be physically baptized- only spiritually. I think it is a good idea to be Baptized but it isn't necessary to be baptized to be a Christian. Just think of the two thieves on their crosses.

Plato

Riverbraid....
The Christianity rule is....you should get baptized if at all possible...if it's impossible or you can't do it....you don't get kicked out of Christianity by God...despite what some denominations say...they just want new church members and to keep a count of Christians....But..even Jesus himself was baptized and went out of his way to do it...so if at all possible you should do it.
Your in Northern Ireland...so whether Catholic or Protestant...If you contact the minister or priest and explain your situation...You do not have to appear in full church, you do not have to have a crowd, you do not get thrown into a tub of water..
I was baptized a Catholic at 13 and even for me so I wouldn't have to stand in public line with the babies, they had a private ceremony with just the priest, my parent, my aunt/uncle as 'godparents' and me. They just put oil/ water on your forehead pray over you and you recite the written prayer they give you to read. It's all supposed to be about 'you' alone making 'your' dedication between yourself and God before his priest/ minister, and you pray 'alone' the night/ hours before unless you want a priest/ deacon/ relative present with you while you pray.
In WWI and WWII for example many soldiers were baptized while laying wounded and dying on the battlefield with just the minister or priest present, so all is possible.
You shouldn't be 'scared' of your minister or priest...if you can't go to church then phone or email or write him by post. They're supposed to be in the business of 'saving souls' and 'baptizing', they would probably be eager to do it.

Last edited:

steeltoes

If you get baptized don't be disappointed like I was if the heavens don't part and a white dove does not land on your shoulder.

Riverbraid

Riverbraid....
The Christianity rule is....you should get baptized if at all possible...if it's impossible or you can't do it....you don't get kicked out of Christianity by God...despite what some denominations say...they just want new church members and to keep a count of Christians....But..even Jesus himself was baptized and went out of his way to do it...so if at all possible you should do it.
Your in Northern Ireland...so whether Catholic or Protestant...If you contact the minister or priest and explain your situation...You do not have to appear in full church, you do not have to have a crowd, you do not get thrown into a tub of water..
I was baptized a Catholic at 13 and even for me so I wouldn't have to stand in public line with the babies, they had a private ceremony with just the priest, my parent, my aunt/uncle as 'godparents' and me. They just put oil/ water on your forehead pray over you and you recite the written prayer they give you to read. It's all supposed to be about 'you' alone making 'your' dedication between yourself and God before his priest/ minister, and you pray 'alone' the night/ hours before unless you want a priest/ deacon/ relative present with you while you pray.
In WWI and WWII for example many soldiers were baptized while laying wounded and dying on the battlefield with just the minister or priest present, so all is possible.
You shouldn't be 'scared' of your minister or priest...if you can't go to church then phone or email or write him by post. They're supposed to be in the business of 'saving souls' and 'baptizing', they would probably be eager to do it.

Ok thanks very much for help I consider all quotes, thanks again

Muffled

Jesus in me
Hi just want to know do you have to baptised to be a christian?
Thanks,
Harold

It isn't necessary.

If it is too much for you to get to church, consider being baptized by proxy. Send a relative to be baptized as you. This isn't so strange because there are proxy weddings.

Peter put it this way that you are simply making a testament to a clear conscience.

Riverbraid

Thanks very much I just contacted my minster and spoke to him today he arrange it for me so I keep you updated on how it goes, thanks for suggestion