• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Banning media which contain immoral/terrify/voilent/sexual element?

Shadow Wolf

Certified People sTabber
A dear friend of mine is anxiety-triggered by depictions of vomit, and of babies crying.

Therefore, if we were to "ban all triggers", both of these would have to be banned, too. And I can tell you this: my friend would NEVER want that. So I certainly hope that's not what's being argued.
Reminds me when my brother was addicted to his pain pills, which was also when House was currently airing. My brother was supposed to be helping me winterize my home, but when I left to do whatever (probably go to work), he robbed me. Of course it was a pretty hard time, and soon after that House's pain pill addiction was getting bad and he drove his car into Cuddy's house, and I just couldn't watch and I broke down in tears over what had just happened to me. But just because I was going through a hardship that made such a scene emotionally overbearing on me doesn't mean it has to be censored and filtered out from other viewers. It's just as likely I could have walked into a doctor's office and over-hear someone discussing pain pill addiction and bad behaviors, or even watch an educational show about the subject, and I could have had the same reaction.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
A dear friend of mine is anxiety-triggered by depictions of vomit, and of babies crying.

Therefore, if we were to "ban all triggers", both of these would have to be banned, too. And I can tell you this: my friend would NEVER want that. So I certainly hope that's not what's being argued.

By the way, I wish to reiterate: there is a difference between being "offended" and being "triggered."

There are things that offend me but don't trigger anything. And I get triggered by some things that don't offend me at all.
Merely pointing out that his "trigger" argument is not an argument