• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Baha'i Temple of South America....

arthra

Baha'i
The Baha'i House of Worship is taking form in Santiago Chile and there new photos showing the progress of the construction:

http://templo.bahai.cl/construccion_eng.htm

upload_2016-3-23_17-31-36.png

arthra

Baha'i
A recent piece of news for all those interested in the Bahá’í House of Worship in Santiago, Chile, will be the dedication to be held October 13-16, 2016.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I was once told that the Bahá’í Faith aimed to have a House of Worship in every continent, and that they are all symetrically nine-sided and differently designed from each other. Is that accurate?

Sundance

pursuing the Divine Beloved
Premium Member
I was once told that the Bahá’í Faith aimed to have a House of Worship in every continent, and that they are all symetrically nine-sided and differently designed from each other. Is that accurate?

Yes, Luis! This is true!

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
Thanks. I hope you won't mind if I say that they have consistently been impressive and beautiful, including this one.

Not a question, I know. But I mean well.

arthra

Baha'i

Yes Luis... Thanks for your post. Every House of Worship has nine sides... The number nine has a significance for Baha'is as it symbolizes the name of "Baha" in the Abjad reckoning.

Years ago Abdul-Baha spoke of the first House of Worship built in Ishqabad (Today in Turkministan):

"The Mashriqu'l-Adhkar in Ishqabad is almost completed. It is centrally located, nine avenues leading into it, nine gardens, nine fountains; all the arrangement and construction is according to the principle and proportion of the number nine. It is like a beautiful bouquet. Imagine a very lofty, imposing edifice surrounded completely by gardens of variegated flowers, with nine avenues leading through them, nine fountains and pools of water."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 71

Ideally each House of Worship should have auxiliary institutions providing education, health and social services for the communities they serve surrounding the House of Worship.

Because resources were limited it was decided to start with a House of worship for each continent but eventually we hope that thousands will be erected...

"Thousands of Mashriqu'l-Adhkars, dawning points of praise and mention of God for all religionists will be built in the East and in the West..."

~ Abdu'l-Baha, The Promulgation of Universal Peace, p. 71

The Arabic name for a House of Worship is "Mashriqu'l-Adhkar" which translated means: "Dawning place for the mention of God".

arthra

Baha'i
Here are some brief excerpts from Baha'i sources about Baha'is in Chile:

The Bahá’í Faith was first mentioned the Chile in Bahá’í sources as early as 1916, with Bahá’ís visiting as early as 1919 but the community wasn't founded in Chile until 1940 with the beginning of the arrival of coordinated pioneers from the United States finding national Chilean converts and achieved an independent national community in 1963. In 2002 this community was picked for the establishment of the first Bahá’í Temple of South America which the community is still prosecuting.[1] There are currently an estimated 6000 Bahá’ís in Chile....

The permanent Chilean Bahá’í community dates from the arrival of Marcia Stewart Atwater, born in 1904 in Pasadena, California, who arrived in Chile on December 7, 1940 when her ship docked at Arica (though written materials of the Bahá’í Faith are known to have been present in Chile though the Theosophical Society previous none had become Bahá’í.).[8] The first Chilean to accept the Bahá’í Faith was 12 year old Paul Bravo, which was followed by his family becoming Bahá’ís. Then in 1943, Chile's first Bahá’í Local Spiritual Assembly was elected. Following this election Atwater went to Punta Arenas, the southern most city of the world.

In 1943 during the annual Bahá’í convention of the United States, Shoghi Effendi announced a Northern- and Southern- international convention which would include representative from each state and province from the United States and Canada and each republic of Latin America. During this convention, Esteban Canales was the Chilean delegate.

Artemus Lamb, the second Bahá’í pioneer in Chile arrived on October 2, 1944 in Punta Arenas, and thus relieving Atwater from her outpost.[8] In that city, Lina Smithson (known as Lina Gianotti in Chile) became it's first Chilean believer in 1945; in 1945 Bahá’ís moved from Punta Arenas area to Santiago, Valparaíso and Valdivia.[9]

In late 2002, the National Spiritual Assembly of the Bahá’ís of Chile and the Universal House of Justice, the international governing body of the Bahá’ís, announced a competition for the design of the first Bahá’í House of Worship of South America, to be built near Santiago though the general decision to have the first temple of South America was set since 1953.[18] The selected design was designed by Siamak Hariri of Toronto, Canada,[19] and construction began in 2007.[20] Its sides will be composed of translucent panels of alabaster and cast glass. The interior structure will be a lattice structure of steel supporting the inside of the upper dome.

A website exists which publishes photographs of the ongoing stages of construction of the building.

https://bahaikipedia.org/Chile

arthra

Baha'i
Schedule for the dedication of the House of Worship in Santiago, Chile:

All events listed below, which will take place between 13 and 16 October 2016, will be broadcast live on the following website for the House of Worship in Chile:

http://dedicacion.templo.bahai.cl.

The public dedication ceremony on Thursday, 13 October 2016, will also be broadcast on the Bahá’í World News Service at

http://news.bahai.org.

The audio feed will be available in English, Spanish, and Portuguese

https://app.box.com/s/iadjtelwko338vgmwk9o9qx9cmbvdvaf

arthra

Baha'i
http://news.bahai.org/story/1127

The Chile Temple architect, Siamak Hariri

12 October 2016

SANTIAGO — Siamak Hariri is visibly moved as he surveys the Baha'i House of Worship here that has taken his Toronto-based architectural team, and hundreds of other contributors from all around the world, some 14 years to bring to completion.

"You have a sense of what it will be because you've been so intimately involved in every detail," he says, "but it's so much more than our imaginations could have predicted."

The architect has returned to Santiago to see the building for the first time in its finished state and is clearly delighted by the results which he says could not have been foreseen, despite the years of highly detailed design and preparation....

arthra

Baha'i
A report from Santiago, Chile:

SANTIAGO, Chile, 13 October 2016, (BWNS) — On the outskirts of Santiago, in the foothills of the Andes, an extraordinary event took place today—the long-anticipated public dedication of the Baha’i House of Worship for South America and the last remaining continental Baha’i Temple.

Some 500 guests from Chile, including senior figures from the government and civil society, as well as representatives from South, Central, and North America and the Caribbean, and further afield, gathered for the first of a series of opening ceremonies this coming weekend that will bring more than 5,000 Baha’is from 110 countries beneath the House of Worship’s soaring dome.

Opening the dedication ceremony, Felipe Duhart—secretary of the National Spiritual Assembly of the Baha’is of Chile—said that the desire of the Baha’is is that “the House of Worship will become the heart and nerve centre for this whole community,” and “a refuge for prayer.”

This role the House of Worship has as a “transcendental space that looks for unity and respect for all religious backgrounds” was emphasised by the representative of the President of Chile, Minister Secretary General Nicolás Eyzaguirre.

“It is a Temple which makes our landscape a more beautiful one,” he added. “It will become an icon and it will remind us how important it is to find the unity between the city and nature.”

The Temple is located in Peñalolen, a commune whose name in the local language means “reunion of brothers.” As the site for the final continental Baha’i House of Worship, there could be no better name, and no better location.

The governor of the Peñalolen commune, Claudio Orrego, addressed the audience in moving terms. Echoing the Minister’s remarks, he explained that the Temple was seen as a “huge gift” to the citizens of Chile and beyond.

“Today we see the beauty of its creation, together with all the divine and human forces that have made it possible,” Mr. Orrego said.

“Santiago will be different from now on because of this beautiful temple that has been given to us…It doesn’t matter what religion we belong to, what creed we profess, our cities are full of the thirst for silence and to transcend.” ...

To read more online, view photographs and access links:
http://news.bahai.org/story/1128

arthra

Baha'i
Day 1: Galvanic conference opening celebrates history and achievements

15 October 2016

SANTIAGO — The vibrant color, music, and splendor of the cultures of South America’s diverse peoples were on display at the opening of a historic conference here. The audience, numbering nearly five thousand, was galvanized as it celebrated the opening of the Bahá’í Temple for South America.

View a video capturing the joy and energy of those attending this momentous event.

The stage of Santiago’s Movistar arena was the setting for the first session. Prayers, talks, musical performances, dances, and dramatic presentations—involving all ages—offered a glimpse of the rich cultural heritage of South America and explored the relationship between the continent and the Baha’i Faith.

Read more at

http://news.bahai.org/story/1129?ut...wns/rss+(Bahá’í+World+News+Service+Headlines)

InvestigateTruth

Baha'i Temple Wins Major Canadian Award

TORONTO, 5 APRIL 2017, (CBNS)

The Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) has named the Baha’i House of Worship of South America winner of the Innovation in Architecture Award for 2017. One of the most important Canadian architectural awards, the announcement states:

“A luminous worship space designed and built with the creative use of computer modeling, measuring, and fabrication software, and custom glass, has won the Royal Architectural Institute of Canada (RAIC) Innovation in Architecture Award for 2017."

RAIC names recipient of the Innovation in Architecture Award | RAIC | Architecture Canada