• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Back to Being a Seeker

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
It's important for me because I want to know about where they are coming from and what they believe. I don't think there's anything wrong with that, personally. I just have a mighty need to satisfy my thirst for knowledge, that's all.
Is that difficult (in your case)? Just ask your mother and father.

Is that difficult (in your case)? Just ask your mother and father.
I could consult my parents to teach me more, but they might not be as effective as an actual teacher that's trained to teach about the faith of Catholicism. But it's whatever I guess. In the end, I just want to gather the facts that way I can make an informed decision about what I'm doing with regards to my faith (or lack thereof, if it should come to that).That would be the smartest way to go about it, in my opinion. But yeah... thank you for your input! It is much appreciated!

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
Not sure. The two are often conflated in pop culture. But I'm extremely drunk at the moment so that's the best I can come up with for right now.

Well, I'll put it this way. A lot of atheists make claims about worth, morality, goodness, and the like that can't really be supported by nihilism. Not all atheists are nihilists, but more of them are increasingly so as time goes on. Those atheists in particular (THOSE atheists) are making nihilism into something it is not/more than it is. Namely, it is not a point to life.

Last edited:

Araceli Cianna

I went through many religions trying them out before I found the one that truly fulfilled my soul, the one that I can call home. Don't worry or be afraid about trying new religions out for a while and then realising it's not for you. That is part of the exploration process. It took me many years to be happy where I am now. I have gone through so many religions and maybe even in the future my path may morph again. But after years of dissatisfaction I finally feel content. It will happen for you too sooner or later.

WalterTrull

Godfella
I just have a mighty need to satisfy my thirst for knowledge,
I truly believe we all do. We very often confuse thirst for knowledge with hunger for enlightenment (how many threads about that). I think it's built in. Sort of like plants reaching for the sun. I know you will find your way. How long and how many roads? I don't know. Just remember: "All roads lead to ..."

Wu Wei

ursus senum severiorum and ex-Bisy Backson
In any case, I'm back on the forums and hope to learn and associate more with you guys. And thank you for following me on this crazy journey of mine. I really do appreciate it, even if I do bounce around a lot in what I'm studying and wanting to be.

Just some thoughts

When you are discontent, you always want more, more, more. Your desire can never be satisfied. But when you practice contentment, you can say to yourself, ‘Oh yes – I already have everything that I really need. -Dalai Lama XIV

We need to learn how to want what we have NOT to have what we want in order to get steady and stable Happiness.-Dalai Lama XIV

Happiness is determined more by one’s state of mind than by external events.-Dalai Lama XIV

When I let go of what I am, I become what I might be. ~ Lao Tzu

At the center of your being you have the answer; you know who you are and you know what you want. ~ Lao Tzu

Do you have the patience to wait till your mud settles and the water is clear? Can you remain unmoving till the right action arises by itself? ~ Lao Tzu

Life is a series of natural and spontaneous changes. Don’t resist them – that only creates sorrow. Let reality be reality. Let things flow naturally forward in whatever way they like. - Lao Tzu

A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving. - Lao Tzu

People in their handling of affairs often fail when they are about to succeed. If one remains as careful at the end as he was at the beginning, there will be no failure. - Lao Tzu

I am not suggesting to follow any path, I am simply giving you some things to think about as you seek. God can be found in some unexpected places

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
SearchingforGod,

As long as your basic attitude is similar to the following way of living, your spiritual future will be bright and fulfilling:

"[All persons] can be Theosophists. Many who have never heard of the
[Theosophical] Society are Theosophists without knowing it themselves; for the
essence of Theosophy is the perfect harmonizing of the divine with the human in man,
the adjustment of his god-like qualities and aspirations, and their sway over the
terrestrial or animal passions in him. Kindness, absence of every ill feeling or
selfishness, charity, goodwill to all beings, and perfect justice to others as to oneself,
are its chief features. He who teaches Theosophy preaches the gospel of goodwill; and
the converse of this is true also — he who preaches the gospel of goodwill, teaches Theosophy."

The word Theosophy means 'godly wisdom'.

`mud

Just old
Premium Member
SearchingforGod,

As long as your basic attitude is similar to the following way of living, your spiritual future will be bright and fulfilling:

essence of Theosophy is the perfect harmonizing of the divine with the human in man,
the adjustment of his god-like qualities and aspirations, and their sway over the
terrestrial or animal passions in him. Kindness, absence of every ill feeling or
selfishness, charity, goodwill to all beings, and perfect justice to others as to oneself,
are its chief features. He who teaches Theosophy preaches the gospel of goodwill; and
the converse of this is true also — he who preaches the gospel of goodwill, teaches Theosophy."

REALLY!!
One could build a sermon with that, couldn't one ?

dianaiad

Hello everyone. I'm back and I'm feeling as down as ever. Last time I posted I was convinced that I wanted to be Jewish. That lasted for a good month or so... then I realized that something was still not being fulfilled in my spiritual journey and so I had to say "Thank you, but I'm going to keep searching" to my rabbi... again. He said that this was okay and that I may never find a religion (and that this is okay too). He gave me the reassurance that I needed for my ongoing search and so here I am back on the path to find where I belong.....
In any case, I'm back on the forums and hope to learn and associate more with you guys. And thank you for following me on this crazy journey of mine. I really do appreciate it, even if I do bounce around a lot in what I'm studying and wanting to be.

Oh, just give it up and call the Mormon missionaries over. If you don't join, you'll at least get your lawn mowed for free.

Just make sure you give 'em cookies and orange soda. Or something.

Dora Dee

SearchingforGod,

Theosophy certainly seems to be a very interesting path towards religious wisdom. Especially the writings of H.P. Blavatsky (Isis unveiled, and The Secret Doctrine) are worth reading (though I have only read small parts of it, so far).

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Theosophy certainly seems to be a very interesting path towards religious wisdom. Especially the writings of H.P. Blavatsky (Isis unveiled, and The Secret Doctrine) are worth reading (though I have only read small parts of it, so far).

Dora D, I forgot to give the source of that quote, it is from a Blavatsky letter of 1888 to American members of the TS. Here is the entire letter:

H. P. Blavatsky to the American Conventions: Letter 1

Dora Dee

Buddha-Maitreya-Thangka.jpg
Dora D, I forgot to give the source of that quote, it is from a Blavatsky letter of 1888 to American members of the TS. Here is the entire letter:

H. P. Blavatsky to the American Conventions: Letter 1
Thank you, Nicholas W., for this information. Below, a picture of Maitreya, the future Buddha, who plays a role in Blavatskian Theosophy. (My first picture; sorry if it doesn't work ... It's on top )
cQtvUn

Nicholas

Bodhicitta
Very handsome image of the distant future buddha Maitreya. But in fact, he plays zero role in theosophy of HPB.

Later folk like Besant, Leadbeater & Bailey made much of the so-called Coming One - but not Blavatsky.

Buddha Dharma

Dharma Practitioner
I like Blavatsky more than Besant

Do you take into account the problematic aspects of attempting to mesh many differing religious traditions, as Blavatsky did? Acting as though their terminology and definitions could be harmonized in a way true to the founders.