• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Australia's First Female Prime Minister

Madhuri

RF Goddess
Staff member
Premium Member
The opinion of Australians on MS Guilard is starting to show, a few days after her political coup and is no good. The Liberals are already leading the opinion pools.
It looks that I was right thinking that the party machine got it all wrong, just wait and watch how the Liberal are going to make mince meat out of her the Australian people like the Americans won’t elect an atheist so chopping the head off Rudd won’t work.
Besides the issue of LGBT equality is not even considered.

Is she actually an atheist? I've read only that she is not actively religious.
Honestly, I don't think Australia is majourly religious. Lots of fanatics in Sydney, but in general even the 'religious' people aren't very serious. But it will be interesting to see what happens. The media will play a big role is swaying public opinion. So who will the media favour?

DarkSun

:eltiT
Honestly, I don't think Australia is majourly religious. Lots of fanatics in Sydney, but in general even the 'religious' people aren't very serious. But it will be interesting to see what happens. The media will play a big role is swaying public opinion. So who will the media favour?

Most people I know are atheists/agnostics/both. And a lot of the religious people I know simply wouldn't care if a non-religious person was made PM. I don't think she has a huge problem either tbh. If anything, she's going to have more issues because of her gender than because of her faith / lack thereof.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
If this woman doesn't get rid of that ****ing mining tax i won't vote for her.

That tax will kill our mining exports. Xstrasa pulled $300 million, if everyone does that our GPD will fall through the floor.

We can't be greedy when Canada has the same infrastructure and minerals as us.

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
Also i recognise Julia is just the front for the Labor party anyway. However, if they put this tax through, we can kiss goodbye to large foreign investment into our mining sector which provides thousands of jobs.

The government makes a great deal of money as it stands. We should let the miners take the fall for economic mis-management such as a $2 billion aboriginal investment that achieved a whole bunch of nothing, a "war" that we stand to gain nothing from and infrastructure we should have had forever ago.

As far as things go we're doing ok. But we shouldn't be complacent and slap tax on companies, especially long term projects (which are directly affected by the tax) which will provide long term employment oppurtunities for many Ozies.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
The mining tax may hit the back pockets of 4 billionaires but the rest is absolute non-sense. If those miners especially Xtrata went it would be fantastic. I am in the mining industry, as an example of the lies the billionaires are squawking they reckon they will have to cut exploration, what nonsense exploration is 100% deductible, it doesn't cost them a cent, cutting it is like punching themselves in their nose to spite their face.

Its all a con job. Of course Australians need a better deal off these greed pigs. I know I work with them.
BHP owns half the worlds uranium, they cant leave because it is here in Oz not off shore.
I hate Xtrata, there are two major Vanadium deposits in the world, one here in Oz the other in South Africa. Xtrata bought up the Aussie one, went on site and cut all the equipment into 1 inch cubes with angle grinders so there was absolutely no way the Australian operation could compete with their South African operation. If I were in government I would have booted them out of the country. If these winging Mining execs did all leave there would be a que a mile long with new starters willing to produce in a massively profitable industry in a politically and economically stable country.

Some of our mining execs raced off to safety conscious Africa to show they could move off shore, now they're all dead.

The tax regime under Rudd was around 40% if Gillard goes in at 35% in line with the rest of World Australia will be deservedly billions better off that means you and me not 4 rich wombats with their NON-AUSTRALIAN foreign shareholders.

Cheers

Last edited:

Peacewise

Super profit tax rocks.
first the resource and energy industry is causing the largest share of pollution world wide and have been doing so for their entire history.
second, if the government gets more money from the super profit tax, then that is more money in government and hence more money for ordinary australians.
third, **** the mining corporations, they cry foul if they lose a few millions of the multiple billions, whilst not giving a **** that the less tax they pay, the more tax individuals must pay.

You wanna leave, fine, get in your friggin private jet and **** off, the resources will remain on australian soil.

emiliano

Allow me to up date you in this matter, Gilard declared herself as an atheist in her recent TV interview, Australia have never elected an atheist as PM.
The latest pools are showing further decline of her approval rating , if she call for an election, we will have a Liberal party government, as I said previously the liberals are going to make mince meat of her as she was a failure as an administrator in the ministry for education that is the little experience she have, plus in this country people from middle-Eastern countries are a force to be recon with. It is clear that the party machine got it wrong and they will pay for their error.
The latest bi-monthly state Newspoll for New South Wales has the Labor government digging further below what previously looked to be rock bottom. Their primary vote is down six points to a record low 25 per cent, with the Coalition up four to 46 per cent and the Greens up two to 16 per cent.
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/
Does she look as the winner that the machine thought her to be?

Peacewise

Nice bit of history that Labour have the first female prime minister here in OZ, unfortunately it does look like it was a mistake, well according to the polls anyways.

Labour should have hung on for Kevin 11 - the Kevin 07 campaign was brilliant, so too could have been Kevin 11. Maybe Kevin twenty eleven sounds a bit better.

emiliano

Also i recognise Julia is just the front for the Labor party anyway. However, if they put this tax through, we can kiss goodbye to large foreign investment into our mining sector which provides thousands of jobs.

The government makes a great deal of money as it stands. We should let the miners take the fall for economic mis-management such as a $2 billion aboriginal investment that achieved a whole bunch of nothing, a "war" that we stand to gain nothing from and infrastructure we should have had forever ago.

As far as things go we're doing ok. But we shouldn't be complacent and slap tax on companies, especially long term projects (which are directly affected by the tax) which will provide long term employment oppurtunities for many Ozies.

There are many things to consider, one that carries the most weight is that minerals are non-renewable resources, once they are dug out of the ground they are gone.
The government can not allow to be dictated tax’s policies or trading prices policies. After all the government is the one that develops the infrastructures that allow them to function. I they don’t want to accept they can set shop somewhere else and come back later when the resources of other countries run out. I am sure that when other countries see that there is one supplier less ( a decrease in supply = high prices) in the market, suppliers will demand a high price. The propose tax reform is on profit and it is better proposition to the mining companies than a lower supply.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
Allow me to up date you in this matter, Gilard declared herself as an atheist in her recent TV interview, Australia have never elected an atheist as PM.
The latest pools are showing further decline of her approval rating , if she call for an election, we will have a Liberal party government, as I said previously the liberals are going to make mince meat of her as she was a failure as an administrator in the ministry for education that is the little experience she have, plus in this country people from middle-Eastern countries are a force to be recon with. It is clear that the party machine got it wrong and they will pay for their error.
The latest bi-monthly state Newspoll for New South Wales has the Labor government digging further below what previously looked to be rock bottom. Their primary vote is down six points to a record low 25 per cent, with the Coalition up four to 46 per cent and the Greens up two to 16 per cent.
http://blogs.crikey.com.au/pollbludger/
Does she look as the winner that the machine thought her to be?

Yep Gillard bravely declared her atheist stance with full respect of others beliefs, and frankly 90% of Australians couldn't care less about her religious convictions. She says shes not going to go around pretending at religious ceremonies and faking it, like so many others that are scared of the religious right eg George Bush.
People very often vote differently for State vs Federal elections. Labor has been in power in most states for over ten years so of course they are stagnating and a change is as good as a holiday. As for federal Gillard will win with an increased majority I suspect. I mean what is the alternative Mr TV Hockey, cant make his mind up Abbot, or silver spoon stuck where the sun dont shine christopher pine, total combined intellect less than your average peanut..

No way Labor will loose federally.

Cheers

Last edited:

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
The mining tax may hit the back pockets of 4 billionaires but the rest is absolute non-sense. If those miners especially Xtrata went it would be fantastic. I am in the mining industry, as an example of the lies the billionaires are squawking they reckon they will have to cut exploration, what nonsense exploration is 100% deductible, it doesn't cost them a cent, cutting it is like punching themselves in their nose to spite their face.

Its all a con job. Of course Australians need a better deal off these greed pigs. I know I work with them.
BHP owns half the worlds uranium, they cant leave because it is here in Oz not off shore.
I hate Xtrata, there are two major Vanadium deposits in the world, one here in Oz the other in South Africa. Xtrata bought up the Aussie one, went on site and cut all the equipment into 1 inch cubes with angle grinders so there was absolutely no way the Australian operation could compete with their South African operation. If I were in government I would have booted them out of the country. If these winging Mining execs did all leave there would be a que a mile long with new starters willing to produce in a massively profitable industry in a politically and economically stable country.

Cheers

I'm just concerned that these companies will reconsider further exploration and investment.

The mining companies made a heap of people i know and went to school with as well as family members redundent all in about 2 weeks when the economy fell on its backside.

Can we really afford to claim more money than we do already from these companies?

Remember, Canada has pretty much the same resources as us and the same if not better infrastructure and less tax than this proposal.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
I'm just concerned that these companies will reconsider further exploration and investment.

The mining companies made a heap of people i know and went to school with as well as family members redundent all in about 2 weeks when the economy fell on its backside.

Can we really afford to claim more money than we do already from these companies?

Remember, Canada has pretty much the same resources as us and the same if not better infrastructure and less tax than this proposal.

In the mining industry we are all on hire and fire contracts. Sometimes its while between drinks. There is never any guarantees in mining that's just how it is here. The mines will stay the owners may change the average worker will remain. Afterall there only about 120,000 workers in the mining industry, that's less than on the dole, they will always be in demand if skilled. As a worker the more you earn the higher the tax bracket, why not the same for the mining companies.

My main bug bear is that Australians are good at exporting rocks and brains. Pity we dont keep a few and value add before export with a better margin. Remember these so called big miners are infact simply lucky land owners or glorified chartered accountants they wouldn't know one end of a shovel from the other.

Cheers

emiliano

Yep Gillard bravely declared her atheist stance with full respect of others beliefs, and frankly 90% of Australians couldn't care less about her religious convictions. She says shes not going to go around pretending at religious ceremonies and faking it, like so many others that are scared of the religious right eg George Bush.
People very often vote differently for State vs Federal elections. Labor has been in power in most states for over ten years so of course they are stagnating and a change is as good as a holiday. As for federal Gillard will win with an increased majority I suspect. I mean what is the alternative Mr TV Hockey, cant make his mind up Abbot, or silver spoon stuck where the sun dont shine christopher pine, total combined intellect less than your average peanut..

No way Labor will loose federally.

Cheers

Well, we won’t have to wait a very long time, although that I believe that the election won’t happen any day soon, the party machine can be that stupid. Where did you get the statistic of the 90% Australians that don’t care about the religion of their MP from?
My opinion was a guess based on the composition of our population, the lady in question is a female, that won’t go well with the Muslims, she is English that won’t go well Aborigines, she was an awful minister for education. She is not seen as a leader that could stand up to the Trades Unions. Also the expected extra revenue was already ear marked. Were is she going to get the short fall of tax that the previous Labor Party government used to get us out of the global recession?
She already marked the tax down to 6%. What will stop them from demanding to pay even less? After all the threat of a national campaign worked for them?
The pools are showing an increase of preferences to minor parties and Liberals in a smaller figure, but this is sufficient to put then in the lead.

Tiapan

Grumpy Old Man
When I ran for the federal senate in 2004, one of my policies was radical. We own half the worlds accessible uranium, we have reserves of $35 billion as yellow cake. We export to countries that have democratically determined their best option is nuclear. It is the only real way of providing base load, that is not green house generating.

If Australia refined, enriched, made fuel rods which are then LEASED to foreign governments then reprocessed and stored the result, we would have added $1.5 Trillion dollars to the original $34 Billion, (this would generate $5Trillion worth of electricity at final customers end). This would pay for a lot of free Education Health, pensions and infra structure, doubling Australia's standard of living. West Australia not the NT is the best location on the Pangaea regolith.

Negatives are mainly attitudinal based on several misconceptions. Nuclear proliferation, currently Australia's yellow cake goes overseas and we have zero control once it goes. Half the worlds nuclear weapons were made with Australian Yellow cake. By barcoding fuel rods, leasing and doing the reprocessing here, it can not be diverted to nuclear weapons programs. So the world will be safer. We are the only country asked by the UN US and Europe Japan and China to provide this facility because of our economic, political and geological stability. We have so far rejected this offer for purely political reasons and green paranoia. We are more than technologically competent to do it and are illogical for not value adding to this product.

Negative perceptions

If plutonium is left on the shelf in a jar its half life is long, 250,000 years, however as a byproduct of reprocessing it is incorporated in the next generation of fuel rods such that half the energy of the rod which generates the electricity is from the plutonium content. This means the plutonium half life is now around 18months, as it is destroyed in the reactor. This is a fact not many are aware of.

Toxic waste, have you been to the coal areas of the Hunter Valley or Yallourn and witnessed the environment impact of coal extraction and power generation in those ares, affecting 100's of sq kms. Now compare that with the nuclear waste.

The total amount of high level waste world wide since 1945 would fit in a cube 100mx100mx100m. West Australia is a lot bigger than a footy field. So I see most of the arguments against this as naive and ill informed. Doesnt matter where it goes some one will ***** about it, but National interest MUST come first.

My point is if Australia wanted, we could tomorrow, build several new industries that would make the Mining tax look insignificant, unfortunately I often think we are the lucky country but not a particularly smart country. This could address the GFC debt in less than 12 mths if implemented.

PS It looks like Gillard has found the correct compromise with the mining companies, this morning so the scare mongering is defeated. She reminds me a lot of Bob Hawke, would not be surprised if she is PM for next 10 years.

Cheers

darkendless

Guardian of Asgaard
I've been wondering why Aussie is so anti-nuclear for years.

We should be smart enough to know how lucky we are to have such easy access to uranium, the infrastructure to get it around, and the economy to safely use nuclear power.

I don't get the fear. Name 1 nuclear disaster other than Chenobyl? Nuclear power is safe, efficient and effective. Coal is dirty and has a wider affect on the environment.

We are not a smart country.

emiliano

When I ran for the federal senate in 2004, one of my policies was radical. We own half the worlds accessible uranium, we have reserves of $35 billion as yellow cake. We export to countries that have democratically determined their best option is nuclear. It is the only real way of providing base load, that is not green house generating.

If Australia refined, enriched, made fuel rods which are then LEASED to foreign governments then reprocessed and stored the result, we would have added $1.5 Trillion dollars to the original $34 Billion, (this would generate $5Trillion worth of electricity at final customers end). This would pay for a lot of free Education Health, pensions and infra structure, doubling Australia's standard of living. West Australia not the NT is the best location on the Pangaea regolith.

Negatives are mainly attitudinal based on several misconceptions. Nuclear proliferation, currently Australia's yellow cake goes overseas and we have zero control once it goes. Half the worlds nuclear weapons were made with Australian Yellow cake. By barcoding fuel rods, leasing and doing the reprocessing here, it can not be diverted to nuclear weapons programs. So the world will be safer. We are the only country asked by the UN US and Europe Japan and China to provide this facility because of our economic, political and geological stability. We have so far rejected this offer for purely political reasons and green paranoia. We are more than technologically competent to do it and are illogical for not value adding to this product.

Negative perceptions

If plutonium is left on the shelf in a jar its half life is long, 250,000 years, however as a byproduct of reprocessing it is incorporated in the next generation of fuel rods such that half the energy of the rod which generates the electricity is from the plutonium content. This means the plutonium half life is now around 18months, as it is destroyed in the reactor. This is a fact not many are aware of.

Toxic waste, have you been to the coal areas of the Hunter Valley or Yallourn and witnessed the environment impact of coal extraction and power generation in those ares, affecting 100's of sq kms. Now compare that with the nuclear waste.

The total amount of high level waste world wide since 1945 would fit in a cube 100mx100mx100m. West Australia is a lot bigger than a footy field. So I see most of the arguments against this as naive and ill informed. Doesnt matter where it goes some one will ***** about it, but National interest MUST come first.

My point is if Australia wanted, we could tomorrow, build several new industries that would make the Mining tax look insignificant, unfortunately I often think we are the lucky country but not a particularly smart country. This could address the GFC debt in less than 12 mths if implemented.

PS It looks like Gillard has found the correct compromise with the mining companies, this morning so the scare mongering is defeated. She reminds me a lot of Bob Hawke, would not be surprised if she is PM for next 10 years.

Cheers

Good post but too simplistic, there are many considerations that were left out.
For example the cost of and extended security measures that it will have to be put in place (created) to guard these deposits both the uranium road and the plutonium. How much would that cost to the country? Were are we going to get the money to process this product ourselves?
I suppose that it will have to be processed overseas and after the compromise of our weak government it will be the decision of the foreign mining companies. It is a nice dream but only a dream none the less. At least the present problem has been resolved and we just have to wait and see the reaction of the people.
The real issue seem to be the conflict that arouse when the Labor party’s machine replaced the will of the people by of the so called party machine, when I cast my vote I do it for a team not for the party machine of that team, I think that is time for a electoral reform!:shout
PS It looks like Gillard has found the correct compromise with the mining companies, this morning so the scare mongering is defeated
The mining companies won the day. It ain’t over yet. Not for a long shot!
I wonder how this back flip is going to set down with the Australian people?
I wouldn’t be surprise if the machine proposes Maradona for MP.:help:

emiliano

I've been wondering why Aussie is so anti-nuclear for years.

We should be smart enough to know how lucky we are to have such easy access to uranium, the infrastructure to get it around, and the economy to safely use nuclear power.

I don't get the fear. Name 1 nuclear disaster other than Chenobyl? Nuclear power is safe, efficient and effective. Coal is dirty and has a wider affect on the environment.

We are not a smart country.
The problem is capital, we haven't got it!