• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atman (of Advaita) vs Anatta (of Buddhism)

The Crimson Universe

What do the Buddhists really mean by "Anatta" or "non-self"?

When the buddhists say "non-self", are they actually speaking about the non-existence (illusory nature) of the ego driven false-self ... (which the Advaitins usually call "Jiva" or "Causal-Subtle body")?

That is the assumption of some people, who studied both these religions.

What are your thoughts? :=)

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Not just the ego, but all things we consider substance. Nearly the same, IMHO.
Advaita accepts eternal existence of a substrate, Brahman.
Buddha does not accept any eternal entity, because things arise out of combination of portions - Patticca Samuppada (dependent co-origination), coming together of Khandas (portions). But he said he was not a nihilist. The 'khandas' are form, sensation, perceptions, mental activity and consciousness.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.

When the buddhists say "non-self", are they actually speaking about the non-existence (illusory nature) of the ego driven false-self ... (which the Advaitins usually call "Jiva" or "Causal-Subtle body")?

It basically revolves around the idea of having/possessing a permanent unchanging identity called 'I' or 'me'. The ego iow.

In Buddhism, the ego is aggregated, called the skandhas ( What Are the Five Skandhas? ) and has no centralized identity and is prone to impermanence as anything else.

Hence no true unchanging 'I' or 'me' in a permanent context exists unlike transient souls and such that are regarded by some people as being permanent and unchanging.

Last edited:

SalixIncendium

अग्निविलोवनन्दः
Staff member
Premium Member
Advaita teaches the true nature of one's being from a positive approach, while Buddhism teaches it from a negative approach. Both agree that "I" is not a thing...not an object...that exists in this reality beyond the body/mind complex.

Swami Sarvapriyananda explains it well, likely better than I did, in this lecture. About 16:40 is where he talk about the difference.

Secret Chief

nirvana is samsara

Not illusory. Lacking abiding intrinsic selfhood; as with all dharmas (things).

Martin

Spam, wonderful spam (bloody vikings!)

Both traditions would agree that the aggregates or sheaths are not self.
The difference is that Advaita assumes an underlying independent reality (Atman/Brahman), which Buddhism does not.

Also in the Buddhist suttas, consciousness is transient, and only arises in dependence upon conditions - so consciousness is also not-self. There is a quite different view of consciousness in Advaita, where real Self is the unchanging witness consciousness.

Last edited:

Martin

Advaita teaches the true nature of one's being from a positive approach, while Buddhism teaches it from a negative approach. Both agree that "I" is not a thing...not an object...that exists in this reality beyond the body/mind complex.

Swami Sarvapriyananda explains it well, likely better than I did, in this lecture. About 16:40 is where he talk about the difference.

I listened to the relevant section of the Swami's talk and found it quite muddled. I'm sure he's very knowledgeable about Advaita, but his understanding of Buddhist teachings seems quite sketchy to me.

It's as if he's repeating an Advaita view about Buddhism, rather than actually describing Buddhism. All traditions have their rhetoric.

Last edited:

The Crimson Universe

Both traditions would agree that the aggregates or sheaths are not self.
The difference is that Advaita assumes an underlying independent reality (Atman/Brahman), which Buddhism does not.

Also in the Buddhist suttas, consciousness is transient, and only arises in dependence upon conditions - so consciousness is also not-self. There is a quite different view of consciousness in Advaita, where real Self is the unchanging witness consciousness.

So, this transient consciousness which the Buddhists speak of, is it a product of the human mind? (just like how modern science says)?

Wildswanderer

Veteran Member

Holy smokes, Atman!

Martin

So, this transient consciousness which the Buddhists speak of, is it a product of the human mind? (just like how modern science says)?

Not exactly.
As a crude analogy for these two models of consciousness, imagine two neighbours fixing floodlights outside for security. The first neighbour just installs an outside light which is left switched on all night (Advaita model).
The second neighbour installs a sensor light, which only switches on when somebody passes across it's field (Buddhist model).

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Even as per my Advaita views, consciousness is a product of working of brain, and is transient. No false mysticism, only what science says. That is not the general Advaita belief.

Aupmanyav

Be your own guru
Do Buddhists really believe in a permanent soul? I thought they considered everything impermanent. o_O
Yes, they consider everything to be impermanent, 'anatman', unless brought to existence by aggregation of khandas (Skandhas) as Secret Chief rightly said. That, they call as 'Patticca Samuppada' (Dependent Co-Origination).
Not exactly.
As a crude analogy for these two models of consciousness, imagine two neighbors fixing floodlights outside for security. The first neighbour just installs an outside light which is left switched on all night (Advaita model).
The second neighbor installs a sensor light, which only switches on when somebody passes across it's field (Buddhist model).
Very nice simile. But I have installed a sensor light in my Advaita, which switches on only when someone passes by. :D
Yes, my Advaita is heavily influenced by Buddhism, and along with Gaudapada and Sankara, Buddha too is my guru.