• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Athena, patron Goddess

Solon

Who guides me through her wisdom and power.

Athena is the daughter of Zeus and Metis. She is the goddess of wisdom, war, justice, weaving, pottery, and carpentry. In her capacity as goddess of war she is different from her brother Ares. She is more of an advisor than a soldier, although representations of her show her dressed in armor and carrying a spear. She is also considered to be a virgin goddess.

She is the patron of the city of Athens, and her most famous temple, the Parthenon, is located there. Many of her other temples are located in the centers of cities. It is said that of all the gods, she is the most comfortable among humans. She will often appear to individuals in the guise of a friend, or at least in a human body, to give one advice in difficult times.

The olive tree is sacred to her, and it was her gift to the people of Athens. The owl is her totem animal. She is often accompanied by the goddess of victory, Nike. Many people confuse the two goddesses.

Solon

Mike182

Flaming Queer
Solon said:
Who guides me through her wisdom and power.

Athena is the daughter of Zeus and Metis. She is the goddess of wisdom, war, justice, weaving, pottery, and carpentry. In her capacity as goddess of war she is different from her brother Ares. She is more of an advisor than a soldier, although representations of her show her dressed in armor and carrying a spear. She is also considered to be a virgin goddess.

She is the patron of the city of Athens, and her most famous temple, the Parthenon, is located there. Many of her other temples are located in the centers of cities. It is said that of all the gods, she is the most comfortable among humans. She will often appear to individuals in the guise of a friend, or at least in a human body, to give one advice in difficult times.

The olive tree is sacred to her, and it was her gift to the people of Athens. The owl is her totem animal. She is often accompanied by the goddess of victory, Nike. Many people confuse the two goddesses.

Solon
ah yes, the goddess athena! a very informative post solon, thanks! my greek mythology is quite rusty, i could do with reading up on it a bit, but i did complete the "god of war" game, does that count? :biglaugh:

Solon

Let the Games commence, Athena Nike will prevail. As the goddess once said, ' let there be war and plenty of it'

S

gnostic

The Lost One
This is an old topic, but....
Solon said:
In her capacity as goddess of war she is different from her brother Ares. She is more of an advisor than a soldier, although representations of her show her dressed in armor and carrying a spear.
True, Solon. But she still had proven that she was far better fighter than Ares. She is the cool-headed fighter who bested the raging Ares, as she had proven in The Iliad.

She is often accompanied by the goddess of victory, Nike. Many people confuse the two goddesses.
That's because Athena's epithet is Nike, therefore she is victory too, perhaps more so than Nike herself.

I think she is the coolest of the Greek goddesses. :cool:

Kay

Towards the Sun
gnostic said:
I think she is the coolest of the Greek goddesses. :cool:

I'd have to agree, she is the coolest of the Greek goddesses. However, my heart belongs to Freya. :D