• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists... why the heck are you on RELIGIOUS forums?!

Hermit Philosopher

Selflessly here for you
:D I don’t mind atheists being here but as a former atheist myself; I wouldn’t even have found my way to a this site, let alone have partaken in it, before I found God and became of faith.

How and why atheists end up on here has always puzzled me a little.

Humbly
Hermit

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
:D I don’t mind atheists being here but as a former atheist myself; I wouldn’t even have found my way to a this site, let alone have partaken in it, before I found God and became of faith.

How and why atheists end up on here has always puzzled me a little.

Humbly
Hermit

Well, as an atheist I am also religious in the social science sense, but not in the standard Western folk belief definition of religion.

Twilight Hue

Twilight, not bright nor dark, good nor bad.
I’ve seen a few religious people on this site complain about the general presence of atheists on RF.
I mean, it’s called RELIGIOUS forums. So they say.
Do atheists have a place on this site? I feel like the answer is obvious, but maybe it could be addressed.
The obvious answer is yes.
So, atheist, why the heck are you here? What draws you to a religious site? Are there no adequate atheist forums?
I have this thread in the debate forum, rather than the Q&A, because, if you feel like irreligious people don’t have a place on this site, I’m interested in why. I’ve seen it said on this site, so let’s hear why you think there should only be religious people on RF.
Atheists can be spiritual but not believers.

That's why there are religions out there that have no gods.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
You don’t preach from the pulpit mikkel. In other words you don’t, in my experience, talk down to people.

Well, to be honest. I am really good at being passive aggressive and that sometimes get the better of me.

I will give you an example in short.
Someone: I only have beliefs and it is a fact, that you are wrong.

Or: I only use rational evidence and you are wrong.

Those 2 can get me go really passive aggressive.

firedragon

Veteran Member
I’ve seen a few religious people on this site complain about the general presence of atheists on RF.
I mean, it’s called RELIGIOUS forums. So they say.
Do atheists have a place on this site? I feel like the answer is obvious, but maybe it could be addressed.
The obvious answer is yes.
So, atheist, why the heck are you here? What draws you to a religious site? Are there no adequate atheist forums?
I have this thread in the debate forum, rather than the Q&A, because, if you feel like irreligious people don’t have a place on this site, I’m interested in why. I’ve seen it said on this site, so let’s hear why you think there should only be religious people on RF.

Do you know that Atheists are the biggest group statistically in this forum? Some one had a survey recently. And I know in every single survey I have seen in this forum throughout the years, atheists come out as the biggest group.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Do you know that Atheists are the biggest group statistically in this forum? Some one had a survey recently. And I know in every single survey I have seen in this forum throughout the years, atheists come out as the biggest group.

Yet, when you look closer we are not just that.
In short, if you have to do it too simple, we are rationalists or some form of anti-rationalists.

RestlessSoul

Well, to be honest. I am really good at being passive aggressive and that sometimes get the better of me.

I will give you an example in short.
Someone: I only have beliefs and it is a fact, that you are wrong.

Or: I only use rational evidence and you are wrong.

Those 2 can get me go really passive aggressive.

Yeah, I get that. But when someone is absolutely convinced that they are right and you are wrong, then no matter what the subject, their certainty is generally coming from a place of insecurity. Wisdom always goes hand in hand with at least a modicum of doubt.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Yeah, I get that. But when someone is absolutely convinced that they are right and you are wrong, then no matter what the subject, their certainty is generally coming from a place of insecurity. Wisdom always goes hand in hand with at least a modicum of doubt.

Well, here are 2 cases I learned from over the years.
A scientist claiming that it was an observable physical fact that some brains are wrong. :D
An atheist and a standard religious believer with contradictory epistemologies agreeing on that it was a fact, that I was wrong. :D

Are there no adequate atheist forums?

Atheist forums tend to be a group think riddled, circle jerk populated by people who are convinced of their own superior rational and critical thinking faculties, while at the same time banging on endlessly about how "The Christian Dark Ages" totally repressed science and if we had been like the secular humanist Greeks we'd be living in castles on the moon by now; that Christians systematically destroyed ancient learning out of hatred; that Christmas was really "pagan" and Horus and Mithras were born on the 25 Dec; the Easter was Pagan and copied from the goddess Eostre; that Christians burned down the Great Library of Alexandria setting science back centuries; that Constantine invented the Bible; that religion has caused most of the violence in human history; that literalists and fundamentalists are the "true" Muslims/Christians/etc. and others are just engaging in dishonest cherry-picking, and all kinds of other irrational and easily disproved nonsense that they have a fanatical emotional attachment to :D

XE9el.jpg

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Okay. Thanks for clarifying who your "we" group was.

BTW, on what basis are you claiming your "we" group are rational? Is that rationalism at all to even make that claim? Please clarify.

No, I am not claiming that we are rational in the strong sense. I am myself a limited rationalist or irrationalist. Rational is a human behavior like walking. Both work in a limited sense.
But you can among both atheists and religious people find strong rationalists.

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
Atheist forums tend to be a group think riddled, circle jerk populated by people who are convinced of their own superior rational and critical thinking faculties, while at the same time banging on endlessly about how "The Christian Dark Ages" totally repressed science and if we had been like the secular humanist Greeks we'd be living in castles on the moon by now; that Christians systematically destroyed ancient learning out of hatred; that Christmas was really "pagan" and Horus and Mithras were born on the 25 Dec; the Easter was Pagan and copied from the goddess Eostre; that Christians burned down the Great Library of Alexandria setting science back centuries; that Constantine invented the Bible; that religion has caused most of the violence in human history; that literalists and fundamentalists are the "true" Muslims/Christians/etc. and others are just engaging in dishonest cherry-picking, and all kinds of other irrational and easily disproved nonsense that they have a fanatical emotional attachment to :D

XE9el.jpg

Been there, done that but I moved on.