• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists - What is the meaning of life?

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
If there was no God, no law, and it would make me feel good (or I thought it would), then I just might, yes.

Then go right ahead.

FerventGodSeeker said:
What in the world is "good"?
FGS

Carrying what you consider to be moral attributes.

finalfrogo said:
Then go ahead. If it makes you feel good, you must be meant for it. It doesn't make me feel good, however--something about the blood and extinguishment of another's life just doesn't make me feel mentally sound--so I don't think I'll participate. In fact, I'm going to stop you, because I don't enjoy watching people kill other people.
Cool....then I might kill you...and we'd probably get people to join both of our sides, and we'd all fight each other...and then we'd have war! Yay for doing whatever you feel like! :rolleyes:

But for what it's worth, I also recognize the inherant morality in all people...I believe it was put there by God. Or did you think we just randomly adapted a natural distaste for things like murder and rape? ;)

FGS

finalfrogo said:
Then go right ahead.
Well I'm glad to know you have no qualms sanctioning cold-blooded murder...

Carrying what you consider to be moral attributes
what "you consider" moral attributes? Hitler considered it a moral attribute to slaughter Jews mercilessly, was he a good person?

FGS

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
When was the stone created, and by whom? (I'm asking from your atheistic worldview, of course, so "God" kinda defeats the starting premise of your arguments here).

FGS
So it has a purpose, you just don't know it, because you're not God. How convenient. How do you know God didn't say, "I'm just going to create this for no particular reason."

finalfrogo said:
So it has a purpose, you just don't know it, because you're not God. How convenient.
Apparently you don't know, because you didn't answer my question. I asked for something intentionally created. If you say a stone, you must, in your atheistic worldview, have in mind someone who created that stone, when, and where. If you give me those details, we might piece together a bit better what the purpose for the stone would be. However, yes, oftentimes the purpose of something is not immediately obvious to us. Just because we don't know something's purpose does not mean it doesn't have one.

FGS

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
Well I'm glad to know you have no qualms sanctioning cold-blooded murder...

Did you read the rest of my post? If I don't like you killing people, I'm going to try to prevent it. If it makes you feel good, go out and do it, but I'm going to try to stop you, because that would make me feel good.

FerventGodSeeker said:
what "you consider" moral attributes? Hitler considered it a moral attribute to slaughter Jews mercilessly, was he a good person?

FGS

Morality is subjective. In Hitler's perspective, yes. In my perspective, no.

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
Apparently you don't know, because you didn't answer my question. I asked for something intentionally created. If you say a stone, you must, in your atheistic worldview, have in mind someone who created that stone, when, and where. If you give me those details, we might piece together a bit better what the purpose for the stone would be. However, yes, oftentimes the purpose of something is not immediately obvious to us. Just because we don't know something's purpose does not mean it doesn't have one.

FGS

Why does the creator set the purpose, then? I am going to chuck this stone at a window. Why isn't its purpose to be thrown at windows?

finalfrogo said:
Did you read the rest of my post? If I don't like you killing people, I'm going to try to prevent it. If it makes you feel good, go out and do it, but I'm going to try to stop you, because that would make me feel good.
And as I pointed out, that philosophy will lead to war and anarchy...not a good plan. ;)

Morality is subjective. In Hitler's perspective, yes. In my perspective, no
LOL...so again, you have no way of defining "good" or "bad". You can't call what Hitler did wrong in any objective way. It's just wrong because you say so. That makes zero sense.

FGS

gnostic

The Lost One
If you can avoid getting caught, why not do things that make you happy but are immoral?
You've got a warped sense of what are happiness and immorality for an atheist. What make you believe that in order for atheists to be happy that they would do something immoral?

So if I become an atheist, I'll be able to understand you? lol...so much for inter-faith dialogue and debate.
Well, you certainly don't understand a single thing about atheists right now. And seriously, I don't think you had any intention of understanding them, except to mock them. If you're trying to convert any atheist then you are doing a ****-job of it.

Only because God never HAD a beginning, and thus had no cause or creator, and thus because He is timeless and omnipotent and we are not, He can assign purpose to Himself and all things He creates. Again, God is the exception that proves the rule.
Only from Abrahamic religion perspectives. To me, it seem artificial and contrived. And God had not proven himself either as exception or to the rule. In fact, he can't even prove his existence.

Jaymes

The cake is a lie
FerventGodSeeker said:
Off the top of my head, they're often used for scientific research.
Certainly not all of them. Many are made simply because someone wanted to.
If you're talking about a specific breed (the labradoodle), at the very, very least, they bring happiness to their owner...I heard dogs give their owners longer lives.
I'm talking about "designer dogs" that were made for no reason I've been able to find.

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
And as I pointed out, that philosophy will lead to war and anarchy...not a good plan. ;)

No, it won't. It balances. Law is created by people who don't like watching people kill others.

FerventGodSeeker said:
LOL...so again, you have no way of defining "good" or "bad". You can't call what Hitler did wrong in any objective way. It's just wrong because you say so. That makes zero sense.

FGS

Yes, that's what subjective means... how does this make no sense? When I said "good person" before, I meant a good person in your eyes, based on what you personally believe a "good person" constitutes.

gnostic said:
You've got a warped sense of what are happiness and immorality for an atheist. What make you believe that in order for atheists to be happy that they would do something immoral?
You misunderstand my point. I was providing a hypothetical situation. I fully realize that most atheists do not do immoral things for fun. Frogo and I have been discussing how we're going to kill each other and start a war...neither of us are seriously considering these options. However, I am simply questioning the atheistic reasoning as to why doing something immoral would be wrong, namely because they can't define what morality is for anyone but themselves.

Well, you certainly don't understand a single thing about atheists right now. And seriously, I don't think you had any intention of understanding them, except to mock them. If you're trying to convert any atheist then you are doing a ****-job of it.
LOL...anyone who has been on these forums long enough knows nobody here is converting any time soon. If you thought that was my purpose, you are mistaken. Besides, only God can change hearts, I'm certainly not capable myself.

FGS

finalfrogo said:
No, it won't. It balances. Law is created by people who don't like watching people kill others.
And law is also created making it fully acceptable to kill others, or to watch others be killed. So who is right?

Yes, that's what subjective means... how does this make no sense? When I said "good person" before, I meant a good person in your eyes, based on what you personally believe a "good person" constitutes.
It makes no sense because you have no good reason to oppose things that are immoral. You just think up morality in your own head, and go from there. Why is your morality superior to anyone else's, Hitler's for example?

FGS

finalfrogo

FerventGodSeeker said:
Cool....then I might kill you...and we'd probably get people to join both of our sides, and we'd all fight each other...and then we'd have war! Yay for doing whatever you feel like! :rolleyes:

With God and the law, is this not what the world is like?

FerventGodSeeker said:
But for what it's worth, I also recognize the inherant morality in all people...I believe it was put there by God. Or did you think we just randomly adapted a natural distaste for things like murder and rape? ;)

FGS

Naturally. The absence of murder enhances survival. Social disharmony is also detrimental to survival, and thus theft, rape, and other "crimes" are included.

Jensa said:
Certainly not all of them. Many are made simply because someone wanted to.
I'm talking about "designer dogs" that were made for no reason I've been able to find.

Other than the happinness of their creators...what better reason, no?

FGS