• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: What if?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Actually, the reminder is welcome, although as you may tell I chose to ignore that advice.

I don't think not accepting the validity of the statement is the same as ignoring it. I reject it on its lack of merit, not by ignoring it.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
I don't think not accepting the validity of the statement is the same as ignoring it. I reject it on its lack of merit, not by ignoring it.

It seems that your understanding of what ignoring that advice is does not coincide with mine, Iti.

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN
It is not about "people that did not believe in their religion". It doesn't have anything to do with religion. It is about communicating. What he is saying is if someone won't listen to what you have to say to keep talking is like throwing pearls at swine. It's beautiful!

No it isn't.

The other person (being called swine) has the same rights to their beliefs, as the person who thinks the "other" is swine, and unworthy of debate.

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
No it isn't.

The other person (being called swine) has the same rights to their beliefs, as the person who thinks the "other" is swine, and unworthy of debate.

First of all it is quoted of Jesus. Jesus never taught debate so it can't be about debate. Pearls are not for changing beliefs of the mind. Pearls are got by the irritation that specks cause in the oyster. Pearls are not religious dogma. Pearls are what the writers of wisdom share. Wisdom is not about religious belief. Wisdom is about what is really real. It is the same sky over every living thing on the Earth. Wisdom is like the sky. The same wisdom is true to everything like the sky is true. But like the sky wisdom does not have the same affect on everyone at the same time.

"To throw your pearls at swine" means to accept a foolish person's view that your wisdom isn't wisdom. It doen't mean your religion isn't true. Religion isn't true, but you know that. Wisdom would never claim religion is a pearl. Religion stagnates. Wisdom rains and shines and life grows.

The words Jesus spoke "Do not give dogs what is sacred" is about religious belief. Notice he says "give" (translated from the idea of bestow) and dogs means anyone outside of The Way (according to me). But about the pigs he says "throw".

According to God's law if something that is sacred touches something that is unclean (for want of a better word - Wisdom help me out here) it does not make the unclean thing holy but makes the holy thing unclean.

To serve my word salads over and over again to people who believe in the foolishness of them is throwing pearls to swine.

I don't throw my salad. Haha

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
Jesus said by all means talk to people, but don't waste your time throwing more pearls if they're not interested-
"If any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11)

There are also plenty of other verses telling us to stay clear of their bad vibes such as-
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Provs 13:20)
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14)
"Bad company corrupts good character" (1 Cor 15:33)

We're even warned to stay clear of phoney so-called "christians'-
"Deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ.." (2 Cor 11:13/14)

and we should only hang with people who make us feel good..:)-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Jesus said by all means talk to people, but don't waste your time throwing more pearls if they're not interested-
"If any place will not welcome you or listen to you, shake the dust off your feet when you leave, as a testimony against them" (Mark 6:11)

There are also plenty of other verses telling us to stay clear of their bad vibes such as-
"He who walks with the wise grows wise, but a companion of fools suffers harm" (Provs 13:20)
"Do not be yoked together with unbelievers. For what do righteousness and wickedness have in common? Or what fellowship can light have with darkness?" (2 Cor 6:14)
"Bad company corrupts good character" (1 Cor 15:33)

We're even warned to stay clear of phoney so-called "christians'-
"Deceitful workmen, masquerading as apostles of Christ.." (2 Cor 11:13/14)

and we should only hang with people who make us feel good..:)-
"As iron sharpens iron, so one person sharpens another" (Proverbs 27:17)

It seems to me you know the word well but don't know the Spirit which originated the words. To be settling on the words with the refusal to seek the Spirit of the words makes a person the same as atheist I think.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What? Rejection of theism? Sure, but theres no atheist dogma to replace it with.
People attack atheism for what it is, but it is nothing. Its an absence of one thing.

You just said that all atheism together has in common a rejection of theism.

That's not nothing, and it is of consequence.

Shuttlecraft

.Navigator
It seems to me you know the word well but don't know the Spirit which originated the words..

It's not rocket science mate-
"If you hang around with losers, you become a loser"- Donald Trump

For example I know a middleaged christian street preacher who hangs with losers and he admits they "drain him of energy", and as a result his life has become a sloppy disorganised mess, he's been hauled up court twice for not paying his council tax, he's had his electricity and phone cut off for not paying the bills, and he's got two failed marriages behind him, etc etc.

I've tried to help him by telling him to stay clear of losers, but he seems drawn to them like a moth to a flame and has become a loser himself, so now I stay clear of him..:)

Last edited:

savagewind

Veteran Member
Premium Member
It's not rocket science mate-
"If you hang around with losers, you become a loser"- Donald Trump

For example I know a middleaged christian street preacher who hangs with losers and he admits they "drain him of energy", and as a result his life has become a sloppy disorganised mess, he's been hauled up court twice for not paying his council tax, he's had his electricity and phone cut off for not paying the bills, and he's got two failed marriages behind him, etc etc.
I've tried to help him by telling him to stay clear of losers, but he seems drawn to them like a moth to a flame and has become a loser himself, so now I stay clear of him..:)

OK. I think what people do is assume their own meaning of scripture. It is what "bad associations" really are. You don't know that so it is why I say I think you do not know The Spirit.

What you say is true. But my view of the Bible is it is The Truth not plainly true. It is true hanging out with dumb people will make you dumb. But it is not what Jesus said. Is it?

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
I don't know as it needs to replace the dogma bit, but looking at atheists arguments over the years on RF, I do see plenty to offer up to the book of dogma.
Any and all of that would fall else where like naturalism, humanism etc.

I don't know as it needs to replace the dogma bit, but looking at atheists arguments over the years on RF, I do see plenty to offer up to the book of dogma.

Sure, once you dropped the idea that there is a super-natural entity that already has a plan for you and wants to order you how you should behave, we can actually start offering our own idea about how we should treat each other.
These are options that might get oppend up by atheism, but they aren't inherently atheistic, and they are not defining for atheism.