• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists only: were you once a Theist?

Were you once a Theist?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Atheists only vote

Were you once a Theist?

Yes. I used to believe god as a separate spirit. I'm only an atheist because I found out god is not an separate being but an active spirit in each person. God is an experience rather than a being or person. I don't use god but when I did believe, the closest I got to him being a being was believing he was christ. When I found out christ was not god, then I found out, I didn't believe in god.

Ironic way of realizing I'm an atheist.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
No. I suspect I am literally unable of ever being or becoming a theist.

Troubles me none.

I have created deities on occasion as a pastime. It may be useful as an exercise. But to actually believe in their existence? No, not me.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I haven't voted (yet) since I need clarification. I don't ever remember believing, but I was christened and attended church when young. Should I answer yes based on that?

ADigitalArtist

Veteran Member
Staff member
Premium Member
I voted yes, in that I identified as a theist. But I never felt any 'spiritual presense,' not for lack of dedicated trying, seeking, researching. So I stopped trying to be something I arguably was not.

I remember as a small boy of 5 or 6 a kid in my class got yelled at and scolded by our teacher for speaking to his imaginary friend, yet we were made by that same teacher to recite the lords prayer each morning.

Even at that age, I could smell the BS.

I honestly think some minds are just weaker in some way and vulnerable to it while others are not. Evolution I suppose.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
I remember as a small boy of 5 or 6 a kid in my class got yelled at and scolded by our teacher for speaking to his imaginary friend, yet we were made by that same teacher to recite the lords prayer each morning.

Even at that age, I could smell the BS.

I honestly think some minds are just weaker in some way and vulnerable to it while others are not. Evolution I suppose.

Rote learning of any kind always kinda freaked me. Times tables seemed like a first step to the Nuremberg Rally...lol

Jeremiahcp

Well-Known Jerk
It was not until I was twelve that I even realized other people thought God was real, the concept of God being real never occurred to me naturally. As a child I just assumed it was a made up story.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Yes. I used to believe god as a separate spirit. I'm only an atheist because I found out god is not an separate being but an active spirit in each person. God is an experience rather than a being or person. I don't use god but when I did believe, the closest I got to him being a being was believing he was christ. When I found out christ was not god, then I found out, I didn't believe in god.

Ironic way of realizing I'm an atheist.

Thats some form of pantheism, so you're not an atheist.

Any theism is not atheism.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Thats some form of pantheism, so you're not an atheist.

Any theism is not atheism.

No. I'm not a pantheist. Atheist do not believe in deities/gods. The word god means object and/or person of worship. Any person or object of worship (or worship of any kind) I don't do. It's just not a part of my being.

Everyone has their own definitions of atheism. I'm just the textbook definition. I know deities do not exist.

Nothing special.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
My "theist" journey

Started off atheist (never believed in god/deity)
Five years ago, found out god was a person called jesus
Learned about jesus through the sacraments, people, and worship
Learned jesus was not god but a human
Found out god did not exist once jesus was a human again

The only "god" I knew was the human form of jesus. Take away jesus, I know no god.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
No. I'm not a pantheist. Atheist do not believe in deities/gods. The word god means object and/or person of worship. Any person or object of worship (or worship of any kind) I don't do. It's just not a part of my being.

Everyone has their own definitions of atheism. I'm just the textbook definition. I know deities do not exist.

Nothing special.
Well, there really is a logical definition though. Ideas of "worship"aren't really relevant.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Well, there really is a logical definition though. Ideas of "worship"aren't really relevant.

God just means an object or person of worship by technical definition. The dictionary mentions a monotheistic god yet polytheist would differ. Yet, they are both theists.

I never knew what god was in the first place; so, the closest I was a "theist" is when I was taught jesus was god. Now that I know that he is not, there is no god left to believe. Back to square one. Nothing special.

Polymath257

Think & Care
Staff member
Premium Member
I'm not exactly sure how to answer.

I was raised in a theist household and generally trusted the adults around me as a child. I even remember praying and hoping for some sort of response. But I think I believed then as any child believes in Santa Claus. I remember thinking in Sunday and Wednesday school (at church) that the stories were similar to Aesop's fables: little morality tales but not *real*.

Ever since I was 10-12 years old, I have thought of myself as an atheist.

So, do I answer yes or no?

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
I'm not exactly sure how to answer.

I was raised in a theist household and generally trusted the adults around me as a child. I even remember praying and hoping for some sort of response. But I think I believed then as any child believes in Santa Claus. I remember thinking in Sunday and Wednesday school (at church) that the stories were similar to Aesop's fables: little morality tales but not *real*.

Ever since I was 10-12 years old, I have thought of myself as an atheist.

So, do I answer yes or no?

Atheism I would say