• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists: does God exist?

mikkel_the_dane

My own religion
We can count 5 objects but never root 2 of them. We can prove that the side of a right angle triangle is root 2 units but we never measure that length.

Why would God do this to us?

Yeah, you are not a global skeptic. You know a we it would seem.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

We can count 5 objects but never root 2 of them. We can prove that the side of a right angle triangle is root 2 units but we never measure that length.

Why would God do this to us?
Something to do with a fear of irrationality and beans. Or not.

Every number was its own being.

What was up with Pythagoras?​

Pythagoras had a problem with beans and irrationality. What really happened? I don't know! The square root of two is irrational, and beans are delicious.

Banach-Tarski Paradox

No, remember as a global skeptic I don't even know that I exist in any meaningful way for both I and exist.
It appears there is this world and we are parts of it, but I don't know that.
But my beliefs seems to work for me, but that is it.
I used to say that Chuck (Darwin) didn’t give us eyes and ears so that we could probe the mysteries of the multiverse.

If we can understand anything at all about reality, we ought to be grateful for our good luck, since there’s no apriori reason why we should.

And science has shown over and over again that reality is weirder than anything we could have imagined.

So, a good rule of thumb would be to discount any possibility that is within the grasp of human imagination and creativity, because the truth (if there is one) will likely not be one of those, since those aren’t weird enough to be true.

DNB

Christian
How would you know? Are you a decent human being?

But you are correct that rational minds are wary of believers who claim some sort of moral advantage just because they are believers. It's not as if Christians are consistently moral people.

What makes the word what you think it is? Your say so? The people who told you what to believe about it? I have to say Christians have a very sketchy history. From this history faith and devotion is very unreliable. Let;s not forget that Christians in the 17th century tortured and executed some 30,000 for witchcraft, because that was in the Bible. That would be about half a million people today adjusted for population growth. And Christians justified slavery in the Confederate South because it was in the Bible. And don;t ignore that it was Christians who committed the Holocaust. So tell us more about how awesome you are because you value the "word". The full extent of Christian belief is that they will commit terrible crimes in the name of God.

How is your pride feeling now?
Jesus was perfect.
Again, why do you compare me with non Christians?

Last edited:

F1fan

Veteran Member
Jesus was perfect.
I asked if you consider yourself s decent person. No answer?
Again, why do you compare with non Christians?
Compare what? Why aren't you answering my questions about christians and Christianity if you have the truth? Can you acknowledge that Christianity has a checkered past of immoral acts?

DNB

Christian
Who said I did? I will however likely have the normal reaction to criticise or even condemn what I consider bad behaviour when I see it, no matter where it comes from, even if I might not be so judgmental as to think anyone is inherently bad or evil because of doing whatever. This because we as humans do tend towards agreeing as to a set of morals that few might dispute - unless supported/unsupported by a particular belief system - and with the proviso that the societies of the world are not all at the same levels of development. The example of FGM being one, where it is mostly banned worldwide but where over 90% of females in a few countries have to suffer this - seemingly because of their culture and/or patriarchy having a tight grip over them.

Like many I think, I do tend to recognise good and bad behaviour - as I perceive such - and mostly because I have worked such out for myself and/or this has come from a lifetime of witnessing behaviour and the consequences of this. Hence why my views have changed with progress - as per homosexuality being illegal for much of my life but now legal in the UK, as for so many other countries too, and my acceptance of such. The same is happening with regards trans issues at the moment and why I have no certain beliefs either way. Why would I see myself having the right to judge others and not being in their place to understand how they feel or experience life?

Too long a list to go into all of this, and as to much I might agree, but not the last few, given they tend to harm few others and seem to come from 'our' nature, as a species.

Times change, and once many agreed with capital punishment but such is banned now in the more progressive countries, even if for many their inclinations are to want it brought back for some of the more horrendous crimes.

From some of the above, and as to such many with religious beliefs will not agree, the difference between religious beliefs and those without will likely be that those without religious beliefs are probably going to be more flexible as to changing attitudes - simply because they can and are not fixated on certain dogma from a religion - or simply that those with a religion are the ones changing more slowly. And this perhaps seen by the numbers leaving religions even if some religions also seem to be increasing in numbers too.
It is patently wisdom that dictates morality, unequivocally.
Why do you have to always evade being dogmatic with some convoluted excuse about context and circumstance, growth and changing perspectives.

DNB

Christian
I asked if you consider yourself s decent person. No answer?

Compare what? Why aren't you answering my questions about christians and Christianity if you have the truth? Can you acknowledge that Christianity has a checkered past of immoral acts?
typo: Again, why do you compare me with non Christians?
You're playing a game of utmost ignorance and incompetence. ...by the way, atheists are the majority of incarcerated people around the world.

F1fan

Veteran Member
I assert that it's wise to not adopt religious dogma, and use natural moral sense to make value judgments and moral decisions. Those who adopt rigid religious frameworks tend to become like robots who follow leaders and interpret religious texts.
Why do you have to always evade being dogmatic with some convoluted excuse about context and circumstance, growth and changing perspectives.
What is the advantage of being dogmatic except to avoid using moral sense and accountable for actions?

F1fan

Veteran Member
typo: Again, why do you compare me with non Christians?
Do you mean why does your moral outlook seem worse than non-Christians?
You're playing a game of utmost ignorance and incompetence. ...
This is a claim, where is the evidence and explanation. Are you simply judging me (something Jesus said not to do) for not being a Christian, and unable to explain how that is a bad thing? I've already explained how being a Christian does not mean they are good or moral people.
by the way, atheists are the majority of incarcerated people around the world.
Another claim, where is the evidence? Your credibility is sinking lower.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
Because being dogmatic as to some things being evil is the worst option - often then not allowing for change to occur.

And even children learn to be moral, even if they aren't necessarily initially.

Last edited: