• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Chose to be atheists?

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
If you are following the guidelines you should be fine. I was definitely nervous about getting it but am feeling better now. Stay safe, wash your hands and enjoy nature if you can.
I am glad to hear you are doing better. Yes, I am following the guidelines to the letter...

I normally ride my bike to work 90 minutes each way and walk on breaks and lunch, so I am outdoors in nature a lot of the time, but now that I am working at home, I am cloistered inside. I could still get outdoors but the weather is not amenable to that right now, although I might go for a walk today if I have time.... In lieu of that I will settle for viewing nature from the inside, and there is plenty of that on our property -- trees, animals and birds all around. We kind of live in a wildlife preserve. :)
There are animals inside and out since we have 10 cats running around inside. It is kind of hectic but I love animals of all kinds and would not want to live without them.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So, all you have to do, then, is change your concept of God so that the criteria for "irrefutable evidence" changes, or vanishes. By the way, who's concept of God are you using? And why that one?
I'll let you two work this out but I was just wondering.... Are you suggesting that WP invent a God concept or just grab a God concept from the various ones that are out there, just so he can believe in God? Imo, one either sees that there is evidence for a real God or not, but that's just me.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
So, all you have to do, then, is change your concept of God so that the criteria for "irrefutable evidence" changes, or vanishes. By the way, who's concept of God are you using? And why that one?
I'm not 15. I have lived a long time and have spent many years contemplating all the various ideas out there. I have no specific versions of gods and spirits and universal consciousnesses etc other than all the different versions put forth out there by many different people. I've even believed in some of the varied ideas out there. I don't believe them now.

Can you or can you not change your criteria of what evidence you need to believe Santa is real? And then decide based on your new criteria of evidence that you can now say you honestly believe Santa is real? You could pretend, but honestly believe it?
I doubt it. And that is the same position I am in.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
I am glad to hear you are doing better. Yes, I am following the guidelines to the letter...

I normally ride my bike to work 90 minutes each way and walk on breaks and lunch, so I am outdoors in nature a lot of the time, but now that I am working at home, I am cloistered inside. I could still get outdoors but the weather is not amenable to that right now, although I might go for a walk today if I have time.... In lieu of that I will settle for viewing nature from the inside, and there is plenty of that on our property -- trees, animals and birds all around. We kind of live in a wildlife preserve. :)
There are animals inside and out since we have 10 cats running around inside. It is kind of hectic but I love animals of all kinds and would not want to live without them.
That sounds like a nice place to live. And your health should be really good with all that biking. It's great to hear when others love nature and animals. They both can make us feel better. Yes, getting out for just a nice walk can be very helpful for our outlook on such a terrible event as we all must go through right now. Hope the weather improves enough for a bike ride or stroll.

Notanumber

A Free Man
I have just returned from a long bike ride, mainly off road, through open countryside and in glorious weather.

As an Atheist, I believe that has done me far more good spiritually than any church service.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'll let you two work this out but I was just wondering.... Are you suggesting that WP invent a God concept or just grab a God concept from the various ones that are out there, just so he can believe in God? Imo, one either sees that there is evidence for a real God or not, but that's just me.
Nearly every atheist I've ever come across bases their atheism on someone else's idea of God. And it's quite obvious to me that they are almost always choosing the god-concepts that best serve their atheist position, and ignoring all others. I am not here to convince anyone of anything. I am an agnostic, non-religious (philosophical) 'Taoist Christian'. So I literally have no dog in the atheist/theist debate in terms of proselytizing. However, I do believe that we humans need to try and be as honest with ourselves about where we choose to stand on these ideals as we can be. So that when I detect an obvious discrepancy in reasoning, and one that seems to be fueling a blinding bias, I feel compelled to point it out for the benefit of all of us. And I hope that others will do me the same service.

PureX

Veteran Member
I'm not 15. I have lived a long time and have spent many years contemplating all the various ideas out there. I have no specific versions of gods and spirits and universal consciousnesses etc other than all the different versions put forth out there by many different people. I've even believed in some of the varied ideas out there. I don't believe them now.
But in all this time, have you ever actually tried to develop your own? Perhaps one that fits within the great mystery of 'what is', instead of one that fits within a very limited human grasp of physical/circumstantial experience.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Can you or can you not change your criteria of what evidence you need to believe Santa is real? And then decide based on your new criteria of evidence that you can now say you honestly believe Santa is real? You could pretend, but honestly believe it?
I doubt it. And that is the same position I am in.
I have been posting mostly atheists on forums for the last seven years. Although I have started posting to some believers since I came to RF a little over two years ago, I continued posting mostly to atheists, not in an effort to convince them that God exists, but in an effort to understand why they do not believe in God, and also because I have an atheist bent. What I have discovered from posting to myriad atheists is that it is all about evidence, and one either sees evidence for God's existence or not. The only reason I believe in God is because I see evidence, but I realize that everyone does not see what I see and I do not expect them to.

To be honest, I have an atheist bent not because I have any doubt that God exists but because I do not always like God. However, I can no more decide to un-believe in God than you can decide to believe in God. Thus I just try to make peace with the God I believe in although it is not always easy. I mean I look around in the world and I wonder why so many people have to suffer if there is an omnipotent and all-loving God. :(

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I have just returned from a long bike ride, mainly off road, through open countryside and in glorious weather.

As an Atheist, I believe that has done me far more good spiritually than any church service.
I can relate because I ride my bike to and from work and that takes three hours. The weather is not usually glorious because of where I live, but I ride in all seasons. In the summer the weather is great and I appreciate that a lot, having ridden through the winter.

I do not attend any church services or any religious activities, and I consider myself a spiritual rather than a religious person, even though technically speaking, I belong to a religion because I believe Baha'u'llah spoke for God.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That sounds like a nice place to live. And your health should be really good with all that biking. It's great to hear when others love nature and animals. They both can make us feel better. Yes, getting out for just a nice walk can be very helpful for our outlook on such a terrible event as we all must go through right now. Hope the weather improves enough for a bike ride or stroll.
It has not been that terrible for me personally, although the economy has hit my investments really hard, but I try not to think about it because I have been through this before and I rode it out. I know it could be worse than last time but I also know there is nothing I can do about it except wait.

What is really terrible for me is thinking of other people who are suffering with the disease or because they are out of work or their business has been shut down. I am not in that situation but some of my tenants might so I won't be expecting them to pay the rent until they can can pay it.

I might ride my bike to the grocery store tomorrow. There is hardly any traffic here, it is eerie. I like it that way, but I do not like the reasons it is that way because so many people are hurting.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I am an agnostic, non-religious (philosophical) 'Taoist Christian'.
So you do not believe in God, or you are just not certain God exists? I am not very religious, but I consider myself spiritual. However, I definitely believe that God exists, of that I have absolutely no doubt.
So that when I detect an obvious discrepancy in reasoning, and one that seems to be fueling a blinding bias, I feel compelled to point it out for the benefit of all of us. And I hope that others will do me the same service.
I also do that but I always make a concerted effort to understand where that person is coming from because sometimes there is something I am not seeing, and the more I talk to them the more I learn about their position.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
But in all this time, have you ever actually tried to develop your own? Perhaps one that fits within the great mystery of 'what is', instead of one that fits within a very limited human grasp of physical/circumstantial experience.
I am an agnostic, non-religious (philosophical) 'Taoist Christian'.
If you are not "choosing" pre-conceived ideas of limited human experiences with this position, and this is not a combination of those views, I don't know what is.
Yes, I've had my own various combination of beliefs from my own limited human experiences which have changed and evolved over the years.
If you care to share your own thoughts on what fits within the 'great mystery of what is' I would be interested in hearing it and why you believe your beliefs are original.

PureX

Veteran Member
If you are not "choosing" pre-conceived ideas of limited human experiences with this position, and this is not a combination of those views, I don't know what is.
Then you don't know what is. Because there is nothing in this description that implies any particular god-concept.
Yes, I've had my own various combination of beliefs from my own limited human experiences which have changed and evolved over the years.
If you care to share your own thoughts on what fits within the 'great mystery of what is' I would be interested in hearing it and why you believe your beliefs are original.
Faith does not require that we define the unknown source, sustenance, and purpose of (our) existence. It's simply the choice to trust in it when we have no reason to, but need to. Human god-concepts are essentially artifice. They are conceptual images and ideals that we use to help us cognate and relate to the great unknown, and unknowable, which both frightens us, and fascinates is, simultaneously. We humans survive and thrive by understanding the mechanisms of our environment well enough to manipulate them to our advantage. So we are profoundly frightened by the unknowable/uncontrollable. And this is what our gods represent for us: that unknowable/uncontrollable aspect of our experience of existence. Which god-concept a person chooses is irrelevant except to themselves. And only then by how well it enables them to access and make peace with that fear of the unknowable/uncontrollable aspect of their lives. Which is why arguing about, or with, anyone's particular god-concept is completely pointless, and irrelevant. It's like arguing for or against a given culture's chosen word for "water". It's just a word used to represent an ideological experience. Label it "glop", it makes no difference, except to the people who are using it.

If you really want to understand theism and make an informed choice about your relation to it, you need to understand why it's been so essential to humanity since the beginning of our time on Earth. Stop fussing over the artifice and start looking into the real reasons why we humans need faith, to live.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Which god-concept a person chooses is irrelevant except to themselves. And only then by how well it enables them to access and make peace with that fear of the unknowable/uncontrollable aspect of their lives. Which is why arguing about, or with, anyone's particular god-concept is completely pointless, and irrelevant. It's like arguing for or against a given culture's chosen word for "water". It's just a word used to represent an ideological experience.
They are conceptual images and ideals that we use to help us cognate and relate to the great unknown, and unknowable, which both frightens us, and fascinates is, simultaneously. We humans survive and thrive by understanding the mechanisms of our environment well enough to manipulate them to our advantage. So we are profoundly frightened by the unknowable/uncontrollable. And this is what our gods represent for us: that unknowable/uncontrollable aspect of our experience of existence. Which god-concept a person chooses is irrelevant except to themselves. And only then by how well it enables them to access and make peace with that fear of the unknowable/uncontrollable aspect of their li
@PureX

I definitely understand WHY people choose to believe in what ever versions of higher powers they choose. And why that requires faith. It is a human trait to want to understand the mysteries we have no answers to. I also understand the social reasons why people choose beliefs and religions. I don't agree with your analysis that we NEED these concepts in order to live without fear of the unknown/uncontrollable. Many, many do, but not all of us fear the unknown or feel the need to have faith in some explanation for it outside of nature or outside of what we have discovered so far about the previously unknown. Some don't need to make up spernatural reasons for why things happen the way they do. Atheists fall within this category.

If I understand you correctly, you are saying that all humans fear the unknown and therefore all humans have a need to create some type of faith in some type of supernatural explanation for it all in order to live without fear. It doesn't matter what form that explanation takes as long as you have one and have faith that it is real.

I don't have those needs. I am perfectly satisfied with believing in what we do know and basing my views of the unknown/uncontrollable on that information. Maybe it makes me more boring but that's okay with me.

Thank you for your explanation of why you believe and for the conversation. I think we have understood each other's positions as far as we are able to.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't agree with your analysis that we NEED these concepts in order to live without fear of the unknown/uncontrollable. Many, many do, but not all of us fear the unknown or feel the need to have faith in some explanation for it outside of nature or outside of what we have discovered so far about the previously unknown. Some don't need to make up supernatural reasons for why things happen the way they do. Atheists fall within this category.
First, not every theist presumes that "God" is supernatural. I certainly do not. Secondly, people need what they need when they need it. And when they need it, it's very good that they have it. My ideological problem with atheism is that it chooses in advance of a need, to eliminate the possibility of ever fulfilling that need in the future, for no reason at all, except that it's not being needed, right now. This is neither logical nor wise. And many atheists, further, want to insist than no one else should need the faith that theism can provide them simply because the atheist doesn't need it. Or worse, they presume that anyone who does need theism and the faith it can help provide (when nothing else can) are weak, or foolish, or inferior for it.

In truth, we all live by faith more than we live by knowledge. And we all fear the unknowable/uncontrollable, profoundly. So much so that many of us will accept any number of fictions about how much we can and do know and control, just to feel safe. Religions certainly fall into the habit of providing people these false delusions of knowledge and control, but increasingly, so does science (or rather "scientism") in our modern culture. And the resulting dishonesty and arrogance is the same either way.
If I understand you correctly, you are saying that all humans fear the unknown and therefore all humans have a need to create some type of faith in some type of supernatural explanation for it all in order to live without fear. It doesn't matter what form that explanation takes as long as you have one and have faith that it is real.
Not exactly. The particular delusions that we humans accept to help us deal with our fear of the unknowable/uncontrollable have their requisite consequences. Some are worse for us than others. But even still, we are all different. And the cost to one of us may not be the same as the cost to another, relative to their respective need. You and I may find a strict religious fundamentalist ideology far to 'costly' for us to adopt. And yet there are a lot of people for whom such an extreme ideology may well be necessary, and therefor worthy of the consequences that you and I would not accept. And there's really no way for you or I or them to know this. All we can do is assume that people are choosing to believe what they NEED to believe regarding that great unknowable/uncontrollable realm of existence. (Which is very nearly all of it.)

And with that understood, we might also be wise to keep our own minds open to faith-possibilities that, although we aren't seeing a need for them today, we may experience a desperate need for at some point in the future. And pretending that 'we know' this not to be the case is part of that arrogant self-delusion that I was referring to, above.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
First, not every theist presumes that "God" is supernatural. I certainly do not. Secondly, people need what they need when they need it. And when they need it, it's very good that they have it. My ideological problem with atheism is that it chooses in advance of a need, to eliminate the possibility of ever fulfilling that need in the future, for no reason at all, except that it's not being needed, right now. This is neither logical nor wise. And many atheists, further, want to insist than no one else should need the faith that theism can provide them simply because the atheist doesn't need it. Or worse, they presume that anyone who does need theism and the faith it can help provide (when nothing else can) are weak, or foolish, or inferior for it.

In truth, we all live by faith more than we live by knowledge. And we all fear the unknowable/uncontrollable, profoundly. So much so that many of us will accept any number of fictions about how much we can and do know and control, just to feel safe. Religions certainly fall into the habit of providing people these false delusions of knowledge and control, but increasingly, so does science (or rather "scientism") in our modern culture. And the resulting dishonesty and arrogance is the same either way.
Not exactly. The particular delusions that we humans accept to help us deal with our fear of the unknowable/uncontrollable have their requisite consequences. Some are worse for us than others. But even still, we are all different. And the cost to one of us may not be the same as the cost to another, relative to their respective need. You and I may find a strict religious fundamentalist ideology far to 'costly' for us to adopt. And yet there are a lot of people for whom such an extreme ideology may well be necessary, and therefor worthy of the consequences that you and I would not accept. And there's really no way for you or I or them to know this. All we can do is assume that people are choosing to believe what they NEED to believe regarding that great unknowable/uncontrollable realm of existence. (Which is very nearly all of it.)

And with that understood, we might also be wise to keep our own minds open to faith-possibilities that, although we aren't seeing a need for them today, we may experience a desperate need for at some point in the future. And pretending that 'we know' this not to be the case is part of that arrogant self-delusion that I was referring to, above.
At the end of the day, neither you nor I nor anybody else, has the objective answers to whether or not there is a realm somewhere or here or anywhere in which the laws of physics and nature are non-existent. But as of now, it seems highly unlikely.

A lot of people have a natural need to believe they do have answers which is why all of the various beliefs out there have been created. I understand that. It doesn't mean any of the ideas are true.

When you speak of arrogance, atheists are not alone. There are plenty of believers whose arrogance is over the top. The difference is the arrogant atheist for the most part will admit they don't know for certain while the arrogant believer insists they do know. Even to the point of demanding everyone else believe what they do and try to force their truth and rules for all through various means. That is when the atheist speaks up. Where legally allowed of course. Some places they will still be killed for speaking up.
If the believer accepts their belief is just something they need in order to create a more meaningful life for themselves and they keep it to themselves and their like-minded group, you would never hear a peep from atheists. That is unfortunately, not how belief works in far too many cases.
You are claiming there are no atheists in fox holes. That some day we will all need to believe in something imaginary out of fear. I understand that point of view, I just don't agree. I'm not claiming that people can't change their views, but their criteria for what is acceptable as being possible, true or factual usually will not change once formed.

It is not about atheists demanding or suggesting believers not believe, it is about accepting atheists don't believe and don't want laws and those beliefs forced on us which you cannot possibly suggest hasn't and doesn't occur.

Maybe there will come a day when I go back to believing in some otherworldly entities or realms, but I don't see it happening as of now.

If there were ever a reason to do that, it should be during an event like we are all going through right now. Or many other of the horrible events that happen in life. However, I still don't feel a need. If it will improve your opinion of atheists, I can admit to you that when I am in total bliss because of nature or some wonderful thing that has happened, I will sometimes say, "well, if there is something out there and you can hear me, and you are the cause of this, then thank you." Not always, but once in a while. But it is not out of a need to believe, it is because of the overwhelming gratitude for the event. Deep down I don't believe anything is listening but it feels good to be grateful for the experience.

PureX

Veteran Member
At the end of the day, neither you nor I nor anybody else, has the objective answers to whether or not there is a realm somewhere or here or anywhere in which the laws of physics and nature are non-existent. But as of now, it seems highly unlikely.
Logically, it appears to we limited humans that the 'laws of physics' do have an origin, and a purpose. We do not know what this origin or purpose is, but our experience of them certainly does make us 'beg the question'. And has since the dawn of human nature. So anyone claiming to know what is "highly unlikely" is posing only an irrationally biased opinion.
A lot of people have a natural need to believe they do have answers which is why all of the various beliefs out there have been created. I understand that. It doesn't mean any of the ideas are true.
Nor does it mean that any of those ideas are untrue. What it does mean is that we cannot base our presumptions on what we think we know, because in truth, we do not know. Which means we are and must base our opinions of the origin and purpose of existence on something other than our knowledge. And that nearly always ends up being our needs or desires. And this is certainly practical, if not logical because it's practical.
When you speak of arrogance, atheists are not alone. There are plenty of believers whose arrogance is over the top.
Yes, and I said that. Falsely presuming knowledge that we cannot actually possess happens routinely with both theists and atheists, alike, as all humans tend to fall for the illusion of knowledge to avoid facing the fear of our profound lack of it.
The difference is the arrogant atheist for the most part will admit they don't know for certain while the arrogant believer insists they do know.
Having had many discussions with many atheists over the years, I find this profession of their agnosticism to be quite disingenuous. Because almost to a man, what they really believe is that if any form of god or gods existed, there would be evidence that they could recognize as such, and be convinced by, proving it. If this is not blindingly irrational arrogance, I don't know what would be. And yet it is the overwhelming justification for atheism being professed by the majority of atheists that I've encountered. And it appears also to be the case, for you. You refuse to accept the possibility of a theist perspective unless and until you are given convincing evidence. (Isn't this the case?) Completely ignoring the overwhelming possibility that you would not be capable of recognizing such evidence if it exists. Partly because you are a limited human, and partly because your bias has defined such evidence out of the possibility of existence. (Demanding objective evidence for a subjective, metaphysical phenomenon.)
If the believer accepts their belief as just something they need in order to create a more meaningful life for themselves and they keep it to themselves and their like-minded group, you would never hear a peep from atheists.
It's normal, natural, and beneficial for human beings to share the concepts that they find to work positively for them in their experience of life, with each other. Sometimes these concepts involve proselytizing, and although this can be annoying to others, it's a bit like experiencing bad weather. We don't like it, but we certainly would prefer it to having no weather at all.
You are claiming there are no atheists in fox holes. That some day we will all need to believe in something imaginary out of fear.
We are all doing this, already. So much of the time, in fact, that we aren't even aware of how much of it is imaginary. Do you realize, that what you and I call "reality" is an imaginative conceptual environment being generated in our minds? Truth, reality, reason, etc., are all concepts generated by the human imagination.
I understand that point of view, I just don't agree. I'm not claiming that people can't change their views, but their criteria for what is acceptable as being possible, true or factual usually will not change once formed.
That's because we are so incredibly afraid to face our own 'unknowing'. To face the vulnerability involved in accepting that one's idea of truth and reality is imaginary, and is quite probably WRONG. We would rather be wrong than recognize ourselves as being wrong. That's how panic-stricken we become in the face of our own profound ignorance.
It is not about atheists demanding or suggesting believers not believe, it is about accepting atheists don't believe and don't want laws and those beliefs forced on us which you cannot possibly suggest hasn't and doesn't occur.
If you are referring to religious/anti-religious social politics, that's a different discussion that has little to do with theism or atheism. That's all about that human desire to control and manipulate everything and everyone around us, to our own advantage, to feel strong, safe, and fulfilled.

Last edited:

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
When you speak of arrogance, atheists are not alone. There are plenty of believers whose arrogance is over the top. The difference is the arrogant atheist for the most part will admit they don't know for certain while the arrogant believer insists they do know.
In my opinion there is nothing arrogant about saying you don't know, because after all there is no proof that God or an afterlife exist. I believe they exist, but I could never prove they exist, so why should I expect other people to believe they exist? That would be arrogant or me to expect that people believe something just because I believe it.
Even to the point of demanding everyone else believe what they do and try to force their truth and rules for all through various means. That is when the atheist speaks up.
Imo, it would be bad enough for someone to "expect" other people to believe what they believe but it is all the worse when someone "demands" that other people believe what they do, and worse yet if they try to "force" their truth and rules for all through various means. At that point, I see nothing wrong with speaking up.

Indeed, I speak up if someone tries to force their beliefs on me, but I try to be courteous because that is an important Baha'i teaching. A person can disagree with another person and still be polite. As a Baha'i, I am constantly faced with this because I am in a minority religion and some Christians attack my beliefs virulently. That does not happen on RF, but it happens on other forums.