• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists Chose to be atheists?

night912

That is patently absurd. You are using a few noted instances to paint all religion throughout all time. That's just ignorant (not to mention deliberately bigoted). Religions are the one human endeavor that focuses on ethical and moral idealism. Without it we would be completely amoral, and with the addition of science, we would not only be completely amoral, but increasingly powerful and globally effecting in that amorality. Which is exactly what we are seeing happen.
Religion is not the only way for ethical and moral idealism. There are plenty of nonreligious people who are moral. I agree that science is amoral, that's why we don't use science as a tool for gauging moral values. If you think that science is effecting your morality, then you are wrong. You are simply just abandoning your own sets of moral code.

I am not religious. I am not a fan of religiosity. But I recognize that a great many humans NEED religion and religiosity to help them determined and maintain a positive ethical and moral compass. And that without it, humanity would surely destroy itself. (Though, it appears likely to do so, anyway.) The single greatest danger to the human species, currently, is the amoral injection of scientific functionality. It's like throwing a box of loaded pistols into a cage full of hyperactive monkeys. And it's not going to end well for the monkeys.
You're just outright wrong here. It is true that some things that we consider as "bad" can be the result of scientific discoveries, but it is up to us to use our moral judgement and not use it in an immoral way. Yes, guns can kill, but it depends on our morality whether or not it is use to kill. Even if you were to throw a box of loaded pistols into a cage full of monkeys, if they believe that murder is immoral, it'll end well better than what you believe.

I agree that a lot of people do need religion to determine and maintain their moral compass. But this shows that religion is not required for morality. It also shows that those people are amoral because their religion determines their "moral actions," and not they themselves that determines it.

Not committing an immoral act is not the same as believing that it's an immoral act.

Bird123

If you don't mind @Invisibilis I think this might deserve a thread.

Did atheists choose to be atheists?
I chose to be an atheist because... Do you believe atheist had a choice or something happened which caused them to become an atheist. Whatever the cause, they could not have chosen otherwise. Meaning it would have been impossible for an atheist to have made the choice to be a believer.

Or could an atheist sit aside all of their skepticism and choose to believe in God.

My first question would be which God. Atheism is really one "choice" among many possible choices. Lots of Gods one could choose to believe in. So with of all of the Gods available to believe in, could you choose a different God?

There are an almost infinite number of choices one can make. AS I see it, stopping at mere beliefs or valuing beliefs above all else, has never been a good choice.

Yes, everyone is making a choice. For myself, Discovery of Real Truth will always be the better choice than settling on beliefs of any kind.

Life is about Choosing, Living, and Growing. Perhaps the only bad choice is not to choose at all. On the other hand, that can turn into a lesson as well.

That's what I see. It's very clear.

PureX

Veteran Member
Religion is not the only way for ethical and moral idealism. There are plenty of nonreligious people who are moral.
They borrow their ideals from the history of religion. But you're missing the point. Religions are how we humans conceptualized and defined ethical behavior. We wanted to "live right" to please the gods, and thereby gain their favor. So we held onto behaviors that brought us peace and prosperity, and rejected behaviors that brought us chaos and suffering, because we believed that the former behaviors pleased the gods, while the latter behaviors angered them. NOW, in modern times, we can look back and see that we would not have needed to use this superstitious idea of pleasing the gods to determine positive and negative behaviors by their results. But at the time, we clearly did. And even today there are a lot of humans who still apparently need to hold onto these superstitions to help them determine and live by positive ethical imperatives. YOU may not be one of them, but you are not the yardstick by which all humans must think or live.
I agree that science is amoral, that's why we don't use science as a tool for gauging moral values. If you think that science is effecting your morality, then you are wrong. You are simply just abandoning your own sets of moral code.
The problem happening, today, is that there are a lot of very naive people who think science has 'dispelled religion' entirely simply because, for them, it has dispelled religious superstition (that's all they think religion, is). And as they reject religion in it's entirety, they are rejecting the mechanism that humanity has used since it's inception to determine and maintain ethical and moral imperatives. And science, as you pointed out, has no such mechanism. So the end result is that culturally we are becoming increasingly amoral. And the evidence is all around us. And then thanks to science, as we become increasingly amoral, we are also becoming more and more effective at manipulating and controlling our environment (and each other). And this is NOT a good path to be on, because it will not end well for us.
I agree that a lot of people do need religion to determine and maintain their moral compass. But this shows that religion is not required for morality.
Logically, it shows exactly that.

night912

They borrow their ideals from the history of religion.
You got it backwards. Suggesting that the ideals came from religion without showing anything to support your claim is nothing but a bald assertion. People put morality into religion. It's evident from the different teachings of different religions and their ongoing evolution of the teachings that change with time.

But you're missing the point. Religions are how we humans conceptualized and defined ethical behavior. We wanted to "live right" to please the gods, and thereby gain their favor.
Nope, I do understand point that you're trying to argue for, I just disagree with you because of justifiable evidence showing that you are wrong. And that's not what morality is about. Morality is about right and wrong, religion is about existence. And you just showed us why religion is not required for morality. Pleasing the gods is not the basis for being moral. If committing murder is how you gain the favor of a god, then you are doing an immoral act and the religion sees it as a good thing. But what really showed that you got it backwards is from what you said humans wanting to live right. Our decision of right or wrong comes from morality, so we make moral decisions that comes outside of religion in order to please the god of that religion.

So we held onto behaviors that brought us peace and prosperity, and rejected behaviors that brought us chaos and suffering, because we believed that the former behaviors pleased the gods, while the latter behaviors angered them.
Has nothing to do with being moral.

NOW, in modern times, we can look back and see that we would not have needed to use this superstitious idea of pleasing the gods to determine positive and negative behaviors by their results. But at the time, we clearly did. And even today there are a lot of humans who still apparently need to hold onto these superstitions to help them determine and live by positive ethical imperatives. YOU may not be one of them, but you are not the yardstick by which all humans must think or live.
Again, that had nothing to do with morality. Pleasing a god is morality. I never said anything about me being the standard for all humans, that was all your saying, nor did I argue against the practice of religion. What I did say about religion is that it is not required for morality. And if those people who you spoke of need religion to make decisions for them in regards to doing a moral or immoral act, then they are exactly the same as what you've been complaining about earlier, they are amoral, lacking the moral compass decide whether their actions are moral or immoral. Not doing an immoral act because their religious doctrine forbids it does not mean that they have a moral compass.

The problem happening, today, is that there are a lot of very naive people who think science has 'dispelled religion' entirely simply because, for them, it has dispelled religious superstition (that's all they think religion, is). And as they reject religion in it's entirety, they are rejecting the mechanism that humanity has used since it's inception to determine and maintain ethical and moral imperatives. And science, as you pointed out, has no such mechanism. So the end result is that culturally we are becoming increasingly amoral.
All of this is irrelevant to morality. Religious superstition and science has nothing to do with a person regarding their moral behavior. Those who think that science effects it, is in the same boat as those who thinks religious superstition is morality.

And the evidence is all around us. And then thanks to science, as we become increasingly amoral, we are also becoming more and more effective at manipulating and controlling our environment (and each other). And this is NOT a good path to be on, because it will not end well for us.
Logically, it shows exactly that.
Wrong. It's illogical to conclude that something that is irrelevant to moral standards is the cause for the change in people's moral standards. Instead of making excuses and blaming science, you should actually look at morality and see what is happening. Eventhough today, humanity's moral standards have changed from those of the past, but that doesn't necessarily mean that humanity is becoming more amoral. In fact, there are numerous things that people in the past did not considered as being immoral, but today we can see it and realize that they are immoral; slavery, discrimination against someone's race, religion, gender, sexual orientation, etc, just to name a few.

In regards to your comment about us becoming more manipulating and controlling, there is no way to positively confirm it to being true. Manipulation and control have always been a part of humanity. In the past, it was religion. Now a days, I consider the media as the thing that had replaced religion.

So far you haven't shown any evidence or provide the reasons for religion being required for morality. You've made arguments that it's required, but in those arguments, you've proven that religion is not required. You claim that nonreligious people "borrowed" moral ideals from religion, if that's the case, then religion is not required.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Most people just uncritically accept the religion and folklore they're raised with. They're not choosing their beliefs. Some people examine the available evidence and accept whatever conclusion it supports. They've made a choice.

If a religious abandons belief in God, he's an atheist by choice. If he's raised in a non-theistic culture, or has never accepted religious mythology, he remains a born atheist, and has made no choice.

Atheism is lack of belief. We're born lacking beliefs, ergo: we're born as non-choice atheists.

Huh? I'm not following, here.
Sorry, that was totally incoherent. I'll try to explain in English. When I was a Christian many years ago, there was zero doubt in my mind that God and Jesus were real as explained in that religion. I could not begin to fathom the idea that God did not really exist. And there was something wrong with people who couldn't see that God was real. If you held a gun to my head and asked me if I was a believer I would have said yes. It was not a choice, it was how I was enculturated and was surrounded and steeped in that belief system.

Until I started really thinking about what I was being told and how a whole lot of it just didn't add up. So I began not believing that religion and tried a new one that was nature based with no Abrahamic ideals. That was a nice one and didn't involve judgements and hypocrisy but it still evolved belief in a higher power out there somewhere.

But as it went along and I learned about how our brain works, how energy works, a tiny bit about what we do know about the universe, higher powers and souls, etc just didn't a higher power made less and less sense.
Now, sometimes I can almost pretend to believe in some as yet undiscovered method of energy or way for all these seemingly magical events which occur on a regular basis, but I just don't know how it would be possible and therefore assign natural causes to them. It just makes more sense that way. I cannot however, go back to the most highly unlikely scenario of there being a "God" or higher powers floating about everywhere or anywhere.

I can understand how belief works though because of studies which have been done on how our brains functions. And from sites such as this one in which many people explain their various beliefs. And also from once believing these things myself a one point.

The other thing I have learned as an atheist is to never say I KNOW THE TRUTH which is something totally incompatible with religions of all stripes. So could there be a god or universal consciousness and traveling souls out there? I don't know. But from all the experience and knowledge I have been able to gleen, it is just not possible for me to return to that belief. But I do understand the viewpoints of believers even though I don't agree with them.

That last post was after wayyy too much sun and wine and the terror of knowing I had been exposed to the coronavirus.. I need to remember not to attempt posting in that condition. I apologize. Good thing is after 10 days of self isolationist, I may have avoided catching it. 5.2 days is average. 4 more days will be 14 days and I can at least go do my laundry and get my own groceries without worrying about spreading it. Although I should probably wear my gas mask....

PureX

Veteran Member
So could there be a god or universal consciousness and traveling souls out there? I don't know. But from all the experience and knowledge I have been able to gleen, it is just not possible for me to return to that belief.
Please don't be offended. But what I find interesting, and exceptionally illogical in this conclusion is that by your own experience you have shown that IT IS POSSIBLE to change your mind about what you believe to be real and true regarding existence, AND that you already know that you don't actually know the truth of it. And yet, with all that right in your own hip pocket, by your own admission, you still insist that it's not possible to change your mind, because you can't see how you could possibly be wrong in what you believe, now.

Are you see what I'm seeing, here? :)

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
you still insist that it's not possible to change your mind, because you can't see how you could possibly be wrong in what you believe, now.
Yes, I see what you are saying and understand how it's hard for you to understand my position. I would even go as far as to say it is impossible for you to understand until you no longer believe in these things. Only then could you actually understand it. I know some people say they were atheists and then became believers. I'm sorry, I don't believe them for the most part. Not someone raised in a religious atmosphere anyway who once believed and then didn't and then did again. It just doesn't work that way for me.

I said I don't know the truth, but I have no choice now to go back to believing. All of the data so far indicates to me personally, there isn't another realm with otherworldly beings and spirits. I almost wish I could believe that somtimes. In a way it is a much more comfortable view that we are not alone and there is more to life than life. But that is rare anymore and only lasts several minutes at most if I can muster it up. And I am totally satisfied with the reality of nature. I suppose you could call me a believer in nature. That would be accurate. And should there become clear and irrefutable evidence of a god, and that my reversal has been inaccurate, I would then have no choice but to believe again. Right now, it is not a choice anymore.

PureX

Veteran Member
Yes, I see what you are saying and understand how it's hard for you to understand my position. I would even go as far as to say it is impossible for you to understand until you no longer believe in these things. Only then could you actually understand it. I know some people say they were atheists and then became believers. I'm sorry, I don't believe them for the most part. Not someone raised in a religious atmosphere anyway who once believed and then didn't and then did again. It just doesn't work that way for me.

I said I don't know the truth, but I have no choice now to go back to believing. All of the data so far indicates to me personally, there isn't another realm with otherworldly beings and spirits. I almost wish I could believe that somtimes. In a way it is a much more comfortable view that we are not alone and there is more to life than life. But that is rare anymore and only lasts several minutes at most if I can muster it up. And I am totally satisfied with the reality of nature. I suppose you could call me a believer in nature. That would be accurate. And should there become clear and irrefutable evidence of a god, and that my reversal has been inaccurate, I would then have no choice but to believe again. Right now, it is not a choice anymore.
So the answer is 'no', you are not seeing it.

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
because you can't see how you could possibly be wrong in what you believe, now.
This is part of the false narrative you always put forth. No, I do not think I can't be wrong about what I believe is the truth. I just don't believe what you believe is the truth, is the truth.

I can no more choose to believe what you do than you cannot believe what you believe. It's just the way it is.

Next time you wake up and believe Santa is a real entity who delivers gitfs once a year around the world, I'll believe you are able to choose your beliefs. It is the same exact concept as you believing I can choose to believe gods are real entities that reside somewhere in the universes. No matter the amount of mental gymnastics I can spin in order to try to believe those sorts of things, it is not possible. Not because I choose not to believe it but just because I don't believe it. Period.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
That last post was after wayyy too much sun and wine and the terror of knowing I had been exposed to the coronavirus.. I need to remember not to attempt posting in that condition. I apologize. Good thing is after 10 days of self isolationist, I may have avoided catching it. 5.2 days is average. 4 more days will be 14 days and I can at least go do my laundry and get my own groceries without worrying about spreading it. Although I should probably wear my gas mask....
I am sorry to hear that but I am glad you are okay. We are in lock-down in my state and we are not allowed to leave the house except for groceries or medical needs. I just started working at home on a remote connection and that will last for at least two weeks. I have not been fearful of catching the virus, but maybe I should be.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
I can no more choose to believe what you do than you cannot believe what you believe. It's just the way it is.
I agree. I will believe as long as I see evidence for God. Only if my evidence became non-evidence could I choose to disbelieve.
Anything is possible but I consider it highly unlikely since I believe all the religions are evidence, no just mine.

Mock Turtle

Oh my, did I say that!
Premium Member
I am sorry to hear that but I am glad you are okay. We are in lock-down in my state and we are not allowed to leave the house except for groceries or medical needs. I just started working at home on a remote connection and that will last for at least two weeks. I have not been fearful of catching the virus, but maybe I should be.

With all your cycling you probably are a lot fitter/healthier than most your age and will likely not be so affected by the virus. Similarly for me but being a bit older perhaps more vulnerable, but we can't really know how our bodies will cope until we do get it. Hence I am not panicking but I am doing my best to avoid getting it (or passing it on), and will accept whatever happens.

Keep safe, and do what is necessary until it is over, which it will be eventually, and hopefully sooner than later. ;)

Last edited:

Notanumber

A Free Man
In the UK we are allowed to exercise outdoors (in public) only once per day.

I spent most of yesterday out on my bike and intend to do the same again today.

There were plenty of others doing the same or walking and jogging.

Exercise has to be better for you than being confined to your house if you maintain the social distancing requirement.

Last edited:

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
And yet you are so certain that you are right that you can't conceive of how you could possibly change your mind. :)
Except this isn't true. I certainly can conceive how I could possibly change my mind; When I see irrefutable evidence of gods and otherworldly realms, I will change my mind.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
With all your cycling you probably are a lot fitter/healthier than most your age and will likely not be so affected by the virus.
Fingers crossed but not worried....
I "normally" keep my distance from people anyway, so the "shelter in place" order of the governor was no big deal for me. I also do not go anywhere except to work and the grocery store, so the "stay at home" order of the governor was no big deal either...

What does that leave? the economy and particularly the markets. That is the only thing that has affected be, BIG-TIME. :eek::eek::eek:
So now all I can do is wait. I am in no big hurry since I am set financially regardless.
But numbers do make me go bonkers so I try not to look. :(

wandering peacefully

Which way to the woods?
Thanks, I appear to have dodged it so far. Everything in our state has been closed down as of yesterday except essential businesses and several cities have a stay at home order. Fortunately, we have a lot of natural areas here which are remaining open so people can still get out and hike and enjoy nature. As long as distance is maintained, it should be okay. I decided on my own to isolate because of exposure and now everyone else is having to start a 15 day isolation. So I'll be real good at self isolation by the time this is over.
If you are following the guidelines you should be fine. I was definitely nervous about getting it but am feeling better now. Stay safe, wash your hands and enjoy nature if you can.

PureX

Veteran Member
Except this isn't true. I certainly can conceive how I could possibly change my mind; When I see irrefutable evidence of gods and otherworldly realms, I will change my mind.
So, all you have to do, then, is change your concept of God so that the criteria for "irrefutable evidence" changes, or vanishes. By the way, who's concept of God are you using? And why that one?