• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheists - A Question...

nPeace

Veteran Member
Sorry for jumping in again :)
Please stop apologizing and jumping in.
Just go ahead and say what you want to.

Think of it as a crowd talking about something
Once no one is speaking at the time you want to. Go ahead and speak. We welcome your voice. :)

This is a fair demand. But I assume this also applies to you?

So what is your scriptural support for this:
However, it's not an opened reservoir, that takes in any and everything, as though God has no control over what he allows into it.

Isn't that a claim about what God can and can't do? :)
It's what the Bible tells us, and Christians, believe the Bible... NB Christians. Not "Christians". :)

What do you make of this, just wondering?

Psalms 139:1-7
1 - To the choirmaster. A Psalm of David. O LORD, you have searched me and known me!
2 - You know when I sit down and when I rise up; you discern my thoughts from afar.
3 - You search out my path and my lying down and are acquainted with all my ways.
4 -
Even before a word is on my tongue, behold, O LORD, you know it altogether.
5 - You hem me in, behind and before, and lay your hand upon me.
6 - Such knowledge is too wonderful for me; it is high; I cannot attain it.
7 - Where shall I go from your Spirit? Or where shall I flee from your presence?
Read the verse before - You search out my path...
Also...
(Psalm 17:3) You have examined my heart, you have inspected me by night;. . .
(Psalm 26:2) Examine me, O Jehovah. . .
(Jeremiah 11:20) He examines the innermost thoughts and the heart.. . .

...and remember this for future reference... Once a truth is revealed in scripture, build on it, not tear it down.

So, you don't find a scripture, and try to refute a direct stated truth. You use truth to understand how that scripture fits in.
Isn't that the way it works in science?

As one should be able to see, the scripture does not contradict, but rather, compliments the already established fact.

This occurs in what I referred to earlier, as gaining new understanding - building on and adding to knowledge previously gained.

Another tip to remember. Never overlook the context.
Don't just read scriptures and zero in on one verse alone. Consider the surrounding verses together.

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That's good. I must have scriptural support if someone claims things about God, or the Bible.
That way, I know I'm not just getting opinions, or just claims.

Excuse my skipping the Bible references, which I did read and found interesting. I'll leave it to others to dispute your interpretation, if any wish to.

God does not know your future, so you do have free will, and God has no reason to intervene in those choices.
Are you saying though that by giving persons free will, or free choice, that God was irresponsible?

Essentially, yes.

As I understand it, you are saying that God could know everything that has happened and will happen, but deliberately refrains from predicting what we will do in order to give us free will. I'm not sure that is necessary for free will to exist, it's been a subject for much discussion, I feel that simple prediction of my actions doesn't mean I don't choose freely, but that's another subject.

I thought that I spelled it out before, though. If I (or God) do something recklessly, that is not knowing what will happen but knowing that something bad could happen, I bear some responsibility when it does happen. That's why we prosecute drunk drivers, even when nobody has been harmed. We are expected to refrain from actions that could cause harm, where it's reasonable to assume we should have known that the harm was possible. The same thing would apply to a lesser extent where it's someone else that does the harm, but we could has stopped it.

Getting back to God specifically, if he couldn't know exactly what would happen when he gave us free will, but could reasonably expect that something bad was highly likely, then he bears some responsibility for the results. And I don't see how hiding the truth from himself makes that any better. In fact I'd say there was a greater degree of culpability, as the ignorance was deliberate.

Nimos

Oh, but it does.
You see, sometimes the theory that is dismissed, bounces back to stand in place of the one that was the "best explanation", rendering it obsolete.

So, believing one thing over another, when you don't know, but claiming you do, is simply making a choice to believe one over the other.
The ones who believed otherwise, were right, and you weren't.
That's significant.
And that is where you need more evidence and in some cases, this might not be possible and therefore we might be left with multiple explanations. But that doesn't mean that ALL explanations are equally valid.

I don't disagree. I say this all the time. You need more evidence.
Running with pieces of circumstantial, and claiming it's all you need, when it isn't enough, leads to embarrassment.
I never said that. And besides that, a theory can have gaps in it. Newton got it wrong and Einstein provided some more evidence or clarifications. That doesn't mean that Newton was an embarrassment, never thought I should write something like that about probably the brightest person ever to have lived :D

But the fact is that Newton for whatever reason couldn't "solve" it, but even though his equation is not 100% accurate, it is still used, but there are certain things where one would prefer to use Einstein's instead. But what Newton provided at the time, was the best possible explanation we had.

...but what if that's done, and its ignored? See above.
That is a flaw in humans and done at a time when the scientific method wasn't as fine-tuned as it is today. But as you say a lot of these things have happened over time. God of gaps is a common example of this, which Newton also did, but today after these experiences, I think it is less likely that you will find scientists that fall into this. So the scientific community is aware of this and obviously also tries to improve how science is done etc. But it does also bears witness to the strength of the method because as I wrote in the last post, it is self-correcting, so at some point, someone will come around and figure out where things went wrong. We are talking about people here and mistakes are happening, maybe we lack the technology to do something etc. Looking at the early astronomers, I bet you can find lots of things they were wrong about given what they had to work with, but again over time, these things gets corrected.

So I'm not saying that science is not wrong at times, but what alternative do we have? People working in these fields are probably doing the best they can with what they have.

Aha! My aha moment. Rubbing my hands together with an evil grin
If that belief changed, and was overturned five years from now, would you say you knew, or would you admit you really didn't know?
You would have no choice... embarrassing. :D
No, that would be equal to pointing fingers at Newton and laughing at him for being wrong or Einstein for not buying into quantum physics. Again, we are working with whatever evidence is the best at a given point in time. In 100 years, people might be laughing at how stupid we were today for believing all kinds of things, when it is obvious that the Universe didn't start with a big bang or whatever. So even if they are wrong, we should celebrate that they figured out the truth rather than laughing at those believing it, when that was what the evidence showed at the time.

I wouldn't dream of making fun of a person living 4000+ years ago or whatever for thinking that Earth was flat. Because it does seem pretty damn flat if you have no clue or ways of measuring it.

[Religion] is designed in such a way, that it is self-correcting, so if something is wrong, someone will notice it at some point and correct it.
What's the difference?
If religion was self-correcting, then why don't people agree about it? Is hell real or not? Is the holy trinity true or not?

I don't believe, like you, in the evolution theory of the first seeds, you see.
That's why I asked you the question. I'm not interested in the beliefs scientists have about seeds.
But I believe that evolution is true. Doesn't matter if it's a tree or an animal. But I'm not a biologist that is specialized in evolution. So it would be nonsense for me to try to explain to you how the seed evolved because I have no clue. But I have enough trust in those people working in the field of evolution that if I would like to know, I would look up the evidence that their explanation is based on. Otherwise, I would simply fill you with nonsense. If you don't accept their explanation that is perfectly fine, but then I would have to point you to someone that knows about it to present your case and then they can explain it. You can see in the short quote I send you the number of weird names involved, I have no clue what they are. But if I really had a huge interest in knowing, I don't doubt that I could read up on it and eventually give you an explanation or valid argument for why it is believed that seeds evolved as they did. But I'm not going to do that, I neither have the interest in seeds to do it and it would probably be a lot easier for you to do it yourself. :)

And if you are not interested in what the scientist has to say, why on Earth would you be interested in hearing my guesses about it, based on absolutely nothing?

But feel free to show me whatever you want, but if it is something technical that you found on some random website, I can't argue against it. But could probably find someone else who has debunked it or have a counter-argument to it, but again it wouldn't be my knowledge. :)

Yup "Christians" are the majority. Not only here, but in the world.
Yes, but there are lots of different believes even within Christianity as I mentioned, if you directed me to a JW as a Christian, someone else would jump in and disagree with that person.

the evolutionary origin of the seed ... is poorly understood
I guess you would not be able to tell me anyway.
It doesn't surprise me, we are talking about something that happened millions of years ago. But as I said in an earlier reply, that doesn't mean that people don't believe that they evolved but there might be details within seed evolution that are not well understood or that they don't agree on.

Solid evidence is good.
Yes but that doesn't always exist. Big bang? there is a lot of evidence showing it to be true. But we can't travel back in time and see if it is. So we won't get "solid" evidence.

I don't agree, and I understand that many people have said the same about what you believe... including thousands of scientists, mind you.
Fair enough all I'm reading is you disagreeing, which is perfectly fine, but what is the evidence put forward by all these people?

The Bible talks about reproduction. Scientists came centuries later, and added to it.
Reproduction is not a mystery. Evolution or why things need to change/adapt is not a logical conclusion in a perfect system created by God. God could have foreseen these things and simply made it so it wasn't required. What purpose for God's overall plan does evolution serve? Sin and forgiveness, being saved, going to hell etc.

Sorry. No. If that's what you are talking about, then show me from the Bible, because, for one thing, that's not what I read. For another, I have not read of those mistakes being God's.
My argument was not that God make mistakes, simply that evolution is filled with them, and things don't always go well, lots of species go extinct for whatever reason constantly.

But anyway, the best example of God making a mistake is probably in Genesis and the flood:
Genesis 6:5-8
5 - The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 - And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
7 - So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.
8 - But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

If God is unable to make mistakes and knows everything I would argue that it would be impossible for such God to ever feel sorry or regret.

The Bible on the other hand, tells us... “Be fruitful and become many... multiply."
And what does this tell you? Why did God want that, what is his overall goal with this, why couldn't we just self-replicate like hermaphrodites, I assume it would go a lot faster? It explains nothing. Just as Sin and going to hell don't explain anything.

What? Sorry, can you explain that, in a way that it makes sense?
The point is that if you see a tree house build in the middle of a forest from the very trees around it, you know it is designed by someone. When we look at animals, for instance, some of them might be considered more attractive than others, maybe peacocks think those with the most feathers are the ****. So they tend to reproduce more than those with a few feathers and over time peacocks will evolve into peacocks with generally more feathers and those with less will die out. That is not designed, it is evolution playing out. Even though humans have become taller in the last few hundred years, that doesn't mean that you won't see short humans, but in general, the average height of humans is higher, which is caused by evolution as well.

The average height of men was 171.4 cm in 1920 and increased by 7.3 cm to 178.7 cm in 1970. Over the last 30 years, average height has increased only 1 cm, to 179.7 cm in 2000.

Ah. ...but you see, one of those is not human.
Gotcha! :p So you can't tell design just from looking at something, as you claimed. Designed things do not stand out, apart from undesigned things, as you are suggesting.
So, there must be another way.
Fair enough :)

Given that we know it is easy to fool people, even in movies where they don't even exist at all. :)

Or you could be fooled by a computer talking on the phone or on a forum etc. It doesn't really change the fact, that even though you might have fooled me, you had no issue figuring out it was designed :p

Last edited:

Nimos

It's what the Bible tells us, and Christians, believe the Bible... NB Christians. Not "Christians". :)
That is fair enough, but you did demand scriptural support from @Alien826 and I see very little of it here :)

As I understand it, you are saying that God could know everything that has happened and will happen, but deliberately refrains from predicting what we will do in order to give us free will.
Well, I was just interested in how you understand the verses, especially the part marked red.

Because I would make the argument that if God knows what someone is going to say before they say it, then they do not have free will, otherwise God could not know it. Whatever a person says, could trigger a huge amount of events as a result and God would have to know these as well, given that he is all-knowing.

An extreme example:

President: "Fire the nukes!!" :)

Last edited:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
That is fair enough, but you did demand scriptural support from @Alien826 and I see very little of it here :)

There may be some confusion here.

In this case, @nPeace had advanced an interpretation that I had not heard before (rare!), in that God deliberately limits his knowing to give us free will. I asked him what Biblical authority he had for that (asked, not demanded) and he replied with a lot of verses.

Well, I was just interested in how you understand the verses, especially the part marked red.

Because I would make the argument that if God knows what someone is going to say before they say it, then they do not have free will, otherwise God could not know it. Because whatever a person says, could trigger a huge amount of events as a result and God would have to know these as well, given that he is all-knowing.

An extreme example:

President: "Fire the nukes!!" :)

This was addressed to @nPeace. We had been discussing whether God has responsibility for the bad things humans do. My response was similar to what you say, though we disagree on free will. I was not responding to anything you wrote. No problem, it's all got a bit confusing. :confused:

Nimos

In this case, @nPeace had advanced an interpretation that I had not heard before (rare!), in that God deliberately limits his knowing to give us free will. I asked him what Biblical authority he had for that (asked, not demanded) and he replied with a lot of verses.
I looked at those verses, but I would argue that none of them supports what he is claiming, if those are the ones that he would refer to. But that would require going into details about them, which I see little reason for unless they are actually the ones. Also, he might be right that the bible says so, it does say an awfully lot of things, I have just never heard or remember reading anything in it that would suggest that God would do something like that.

This was addressed to @nPeace. We had been discussing whether God has responsibility for the bad things humans do. My response was similar to what you say, though we disagree on free will. I was not responding to anything you wrote. No problem, it's all got a bit confusing. :confused:
That is fair enough.

I assume that you agree with @nPeace about free will then unless I misunderstood you? But it would be interesting to hear more explanations, it might just be me not seeing it :)

How do you see free will being possible in such a scenario? Where I know everything you are going to say before you say it.

Nimos

Please stop apologizing and jumping in.
Just go ahead and say what you want to.

Think of it as a crowd talking about something
Once no one is speaking at the time you want to. Go ahead and speak. We welcome your voice. :)

Read the verse before - You search out my path...
Also...
(Psalm 17:3) You have examined my heart, you have inspected me by night;. . .
(Psalm 26:2) Examine me, O Jehovah. . .
(Jeremiah 11:20) He examines the innermost thoughts and the heart.. . .

...and remember this for future reference... Once a truth is revealed in scripture, build on it, not tear it down.

So, you don't find a scripture, and try to refute a direct stated truth. You use truth to understand how that scripture fits in.
Isn't that the way it works in science?

As one should be able to see, the scripture does not contradict, but rather, compliments the already established fact.

This occurs in what I referred to earlier, as gaining new understanding - building on and adding to knowledge previously gained.

Another tip to remember. Never overlook the context.
Don't just read scriptures and zero in on one verse alone. Consider the surrounding verses together.
Sorry screwed up a bit in the last couple of posts with some misquotes, just ignore the part not aimed at what you wrote. :)

However, I do agree with you that verses should be read in context. But I don't think it changes the fact, that what I have marked with red, tells that God knows what someone is going to say before they do it. How do you make that fit with free will?

And along the same lines, would it be possible for me to "fool" God or lets say hide my intentions from him?

nPeace

Veteran Member
Excuse my skipping the Bible references, which I did read and found interesting. I'll leave it to others to dispute your interpretation, if any wish to.
So you call directly stated facts my interpretation. I see.
I'll keep that in mind.

It's interesting though that atheists will post or quote scriptures, saying that it says y, and when given scriptures that all say x, they will say it's your interpretation.
They wouldn't say what they say is their interpretation though. It's what scripture says. Lol.

Essentially, yes.

As I understand it, you are saying that God could know everything that has happened and will happen, but deliberately refrains from predicting what we will do in order to give us free will. I'm not sure that is necessary for free will to exist, it's been a subject for much discussion, I feel that simple prediction of my actions doesn't mean I don't choose freely, but that's another subject.
No. That's not what I said.
God foreknew specific things related to his purpose.
I said, he does not exercise that foreknowledge where your free willed choices are concerned.

I thought that I spelled it out before, though. If I (or God) do something recklessly, that is not knowing what will happen but knowing that something bad could happen, I bear some responsibility when it does happen. That's why we prosecute drunk drivers, even when nobody has been harmed. We are expected to refrain from actions that could cause harm, where it's reasonable to assume we should have known that the harm was possible. The same thing would apply to a lesser extent where it's someone else that does the harm, but we could has stopped it.

Getting back to God specifically, if he couldn't know exactly what would happen when he gave us free will, but could reasonably expect that something bad was highly likely, then he bears some responsibility for the results. And I don't see how hiding the truth from himself makes that any better. In fact I'd say there was a greater degree of culpability, as the ignorance was deliberate.
According to the Bible, God's purpose was to give mankind life and an earthly home forever.

If God decided to do so, knowing that things would take a nasty turn, he would accept that responsibility, as he did, for allowing things to go forward knowing that Adam's decision plunged mankind into disaster.
(Romans 8:20) . . .For the creation was subjected to futility, not by its own will, but through the one who subjected it, on the basis of hope

The Bible does not support the view that God knew his heavenly family would have a rebel.
His first creation - his first son, was faithful., and became like God, and loved him.

The Bible does indicate that God knew that man could choose to disobey, but that would not have meant disaster for the human race.
If Adam and Eve had obeyed God, mankind would be perfect, and so, no one would have grown old, got sick, or died.

Things would have been as described at Isaiah 65.
(Isaiah 65:20-25) 20 “No more will there be an infant from that place who lives but a few days, Nor an old man who fails to live out his days. For anyone who dies at a hundred will be considered a mere boy, And the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age. 21 They will build houses and live in them, And they will plant vineyards and eat their fruitage. 22 They will not build for someone else to inhabit, Nor will they plant for others to eat. For the days of my people will be like the days of a tree, And the work of their hands my chosen ones will enjoy to the full. 23 They will not toil for nothing, Nor will they bear children for distress, Because they are the offspring made up of those blessed by Jehovah, And their descendants with them. 24 Even before they call out, I will answer; While they are yet speaking, I will hear. 25 The wolf and the lamb will feed together, The lion will eat straw just like the bull, And the serpent’s food will be dust. They will do no harm nor cause any ruin in all my holy mountain,” says Jehovah.
That is exactly how thing would have been.
Did you notice verse number twenty - "the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age"?

Anyone who chose to disobey God, would have died - been put to death, instantly. No one would have been allowed to cause any disturbance.
Let's hear the atheist cry fowl. Lol.

Is God unfair in that decision?

Alien826

No religious beliefs
So you call directly stated facts my interpretation. I see.
I'll keep that in mind.

It's interesting though that atheists will post or quote scriptures, saying that it says y, and when given scriptures that all say x, they will say it's your interpretation.
They wouldn't say what they say is their interpretation though. It's what scripture says. Lol.

Oh, don't get snippy over a word. Of course it's your interpretation. The Bible has been read and understood differently by many many people throughout the centuries.Your understanding is just one of them. That's not to say yours isn't the correct interpretation, of course.

And yet again a dig at atheists.

No. That's not what I said.
God foreknew specific things related to his purpose.
I said, he does not exercise that foreknowledge where your free willed choices are concerned.

I said "deliberately refrains from predicting what we will do in order to give us free will". You said "does not exercise that foreknowledge where your free willed choices are concerned". How are those two sentences essentially different?

If God decided to do so, knowing that things would take a nasty turn, he would accept that responsibility, as he did, for allowing things to go forward knowing that Adam's decision plunged mankind into disaster.

Isn't that what I'm saying? God agrees with me it seems. He accepts the responsibility!

Incidentally, that doesn't necessarily mean that God was wrong. If things had to go this way to fulfill a greater purpose, so be it. What skeptics (like me) find difficult to understand is that whatever it was couldn't have been accomplished without so much suffering caused to innocent people. We are talking about a very powerful God now.

Did you notice verse number twenty - "the sinner will be cursed, even though he is a hundred years of age"?

Anyone who chose to disobey God, would have died - been put to death, instantly. No one would have been allowed to cause any disturbance.
Let's hear the atheist cry fowl. Lol.

What have chickens to do with it? (Fowl = bird, foul = breaking the rules, among other things).

Is God unfair in that decision?

So "curse" means death? No gradation of punishment depending on the severity of the "sin"? Or is that just your interpretation? ;)

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I looked at those verses, but I would argue that none of them supports what he is claiming, if those are the ones that he would refer to. But that would require going into details about them, which I see little reason for unless they are actually the ones. Also, he might be right that the bible says so, it does say an awfully lot of things, I have just never heard or remember reading anything in it that would suggest that God would do something like that.

"The Bible is an old fiddle and many tunes have been played on it".

I assume that you agree with @nPeace about free will then unless I misunderstood you? But it would be interesting to hear more explanations, it might just be me not seeing it :)

How do you see free will being possible in such a scenario? Where I know everything you are going to say before you say it.

OK, lets do free will, briefly.

Actually I don't think I agree with @nPeace, but leaving that aside ...

To me it doesn't matter if you (God really) knows what I am going to do. That might be possible if he lives in a different set of dimensions and sees this world as static in four dimensions. From my viewpoint, I am a system that makes choices, which I am able to make (the decision, not necessarily the actions attempt) without outside influence. That's near enough to free will for me.

nPeace

Veteran Member
That is a flaw in humans and done at a time when the scientific method wasn't as fine-tuned as it is today. But as you say a lot of these things have happened over time. God of gaps is a common example of this, which Newton also did, but today after these experiences, I think it is less likely that you will find scientists that fall into this. So the scientific community is aware of this and obviously also tries to improve how science is done etc. But it does also bears witness to the strength of the method because as I wrote in the last post, it is self-correcting, so at some point, someone will come around and figure out where things went wrong. We are talking about people here and mistakes are happening, maybe we lack the technology to do something etc. Looking at the early astronomers, I bet you can find lots of things they were wrong about given what they had to work with, but again over time, these things gets corrected.

So I'm not saying that science is not wrong at times, but what alternative do we have? People working in these fields are probably doing the best they can with what they have.
I would ask you to do something for me, but I know your worldview either wouldn't allow you to be honest, or unbiased enough to admit it.
If I were in your shoes, and you in mind, you would be telling me that there is no reason why history is not repeating itself right now, where the scientific community dogmatically asserts their theory is right, while ostracizing and demeaning those who disagree and discarding any evidence they present, contrary to their beliefs.
Anyways...

I'm not even going to bother bringing those theories that have been challenged, but were held onto, despite strong evidence against them, only to later be proven false... during the time the scientific method was applied, because that would make no difference.
Your eyes wouldn't open even a thousandth of a fraction.
Nothing will budge die hard atheist from their religion - Scientism.

No, that would be equal to pointing fingers at Newton and laughing at him for being wrong or Einstein for not buying into quantum physics. Again, we are working with whatever evidence is the best at a given point in time. In 100 years, people might be laughing at how stupid we were today for believing all kinds of things, when it is obvious that the Universe didn't start with a big bang or whatever. So even if they are wrong, we should celebrate that they figured out the truth rather than laughing at those believing it, when that was what the evidence showed at the time.

I wouldn't dream of making fun of a person living 4000+ years ago or whatever for thinking that Earth was flat. Because it does seem pretty damn flat if you have no clue or ways of measuring it.
I think it's good to laugh at arrogant people.
God does. (Psalms 2:4) . . .The One enthroned in the heavens will laugh; Jehovah will scoff at them.
Elijah mocked them. (1 Kings 18:27) . . .About noon Elijah began to mock them and say: “Call out at the top of your voice! After all, he is a god! Perhaps he is deep in thought or he has gone to relieve himself. Or maybe he is asleep and someone needs to wake him up!”

Newton and Einstein don't strike me as being arrogant. Many atheist do.

If religion was self-correcting, then why don't people agree about it? Is hell real or not? Is the holy trinity true or not?
Same reason scientists don't agree.

Yes, but there are lots of different believes even within Christianity as I mentioned, if you directed me to a JW as a Christian, someone else would jump in and disagree with that person.
Among scientists as well.

Reproduction is not a mystery. Evolution or why things need to change/adapt is not a logical conclusion in a perfect system created by God. God could have foreseen these things and simply made it so it wasn't required. What purpose for God's overall plan does evolution serve? Sin and forgiveness, being saved, going to hell etc.
That's... um. Let's just say that's not making sense. :)

My argument was not that God make mistakes, simply that evolution is filled with them, and things don't always go well, lots of species go extinct for whatever reason constantly.
Well, the sea is polluted. Go figure.

But anyway, the best example of God making a mistake is probably in Genesis and the flood:
Genesis 6:5-8
5 - The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
6 - And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
7 - So the LORD said, “I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them.
8 - But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.

If God is unable to make mistakes and knows everything I would argue that it would be impossible for such God to ever feel sorry or regret.
But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
I wonder why. Did God not regret Noah existence? Surely he was a man.

The point is that if you see a tree house build in the middle of a forest from the very trees around it, you know it is designed by someone. When we look at animals, for instance, some of them might be considered more attractive than others, maybe peacocks think those with the most feathers are the ****. So they tend to reproduce more than those with a few feathers and over time peacocks will evolve into peacocks with generally more feathers and those with less will die out. That is not designed, it is evolution playing out. Even though humans have become taller in the last few hundred years, that doesn't mean that you won't see short humans, but in general, the average height of humans is higher, which is caused by evolution as well.

The average height of men was 171.4 cm in 1920 and increased by 7.3 cm to 178.7 cm in 1970. Over the last 30 years, average height has increased only 1 cm, to 179.7 cm in 2000.
How do you know the tree house was built by someone, and not the bird? I got it... Because you believe in evolution.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Sorry screwed up a bit in the last couple of posts with some misquotes, just ignore the part not aimed at what you wrote. :)

However, I do agree with you that verses should be read in context. But I don't think it changes the fact, that what I have marked with red, tells that God knows what someone is going to say before they do it. How do you make that fit with free will?

And along the same lines, would it be possible for me to "fool" God or lets say hide my intentions from him?
Has it happened to you?
You are listening intently to someone, and you can almost quote them word for word, before they say the next few sentences.

Because God is interested in you, he knows your concerns. He knows what's on you heart... some people say, on your chest.

Knowing what's in your heart. Knowing your intentions, desires, etc., doesn't prevent you from making free willed choices.
They are your free willed choices being manifested in what you do, and how you feel.

That's different to looking ahead at the decisions you will make, or how you will feel 10, 15, 60 years from now.

Can you fool God?
No.
God searches the heart. He sees what you are... at present. He knows what you are on the inside... at present.

You can change though. From bad to good, or good to bad.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Oh, don't get snippy over a word. Of course it's your interpretation. The Bible has been read and understood differently by many many people throughout the centuries.Your understanding is just one of them. That's not to say yours isn't the correct interpretation, of course.

And yet again a dig at atheists.
I know atheist... Oops :D like to say anything and not be corrected, but life does not work like that.
All moms and dads aren't the same, you see. :p

It is true that not everything is straightforward, but not everything isn't.
Some things require interpreting. Not all.
However, I think the Bible is its best interpreter.
Relying on us, you might get 600 different interpretations. ;)

The Bible does contain writings that cannot be taken "at face value", but there are times when things are explained (interpreted) in the Bible itself.

However, it's easy for you to say, nothing in the Bible is straightforward.
What else would atheists say... until they see differently.

I said "deliberately refrains from predicting what we will do in order to give us free will". You said "does not exercise that foreknowledge where your free willed choices are concerned". How are those two sentences essentially different?
Okay, if that's what you meant. I didn't interpret it correctly. :p

Isn't that what I'm saying? God agrees with me it seems. He accepts the responsibility!
If that's what you mean. Interpreting words isn't easy, you see. ;)

Incidentally, that doesn't necessarily mean that God was wrong. If things had to go this way to fulfill a greater purpose, so be it. What skeptics (like me) find difficult to understand is that whatever it was couldn't have been accomplished without so much suffering caused to innocent people. We are talking about a very powerful God now.
Yes. One who will make all things new. Like nothing bad even happened.
(Isaiah 65:17) For look! I am creating new heavens and a new earth; And the former things will not be called to mind, Nor will they come up into the heart.

What have chickens to do with it? (Fowl = bird, foul = breaking the rules, among other things).
Foul. Yeah, I fowled up... fooled up... fouled up. :D

So "curse" means death? No gradation of punishment depending on the severity of the "sin"? Or is that just your interpretation? ;)
No. Cursed does not necessarily mean death. It can involve death. Context matters.
One would need to consider the context of the verses they are reading, to determine how it applies.

Nimos

I'm not even going to bother bringing those theories that have been challenged, but were held onto, despite strong evidence against them, only to later be proven false... during the time the scientific method was applied, because that would make no difference.
Your eyes wouldn't open even a thousandth of a fraction.
Nothing will budge die hard atheist from their religion - Scientism.
I understand what you are saying. But let me ask you, who figured out that those theories you are referring to were wrong and "correct" it, so you can now write what you are?

I think it's good to laugh at arrogant people.
Sure, we can all laugh at certain things, it also depends on the type of laugh. But people back then weren't arrogant about it, that was simply what they believed.

Same reason scientists don't agree.
But what is the method used in religion for self-correcting? People have debated the holy trinity for I don't know how long, what method would you suggest to figure out whether it is true or not? Where does new evidence come from?
So there is a difference here, due to the applied method. As you know scientists are talking about dark matter and energy, because something is not adding up, yet they can't solve it. But rather than just going back and forth and stating opinions, they try to figure out ways to demonstrate whether it is true or not.

Among scientists as well.
Yes, but you get nowhere in science simply stating your opinion if you can't back it up with evidence. Sure, they will discuss/talk about whether the multiverse is the best explanation or not. But it will never become more than that unless they somehow can demonstrate it. Just as people can discuss whether Jesus was a prophet or the son of God. That is all fine, but how will you settle that?

That's... um. Let's just say that's not making sense. :)
It does, if God is good, can't make mistakes and is all-knowing, why would he create an imperfect system? Such as children being born with weird diseases or whatever. If it's about people having sinned or whatever the big plan of God is, such a thing doesn't seem to add a whole lot to it.

But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
I wonder why. Did God not regret Noah existence? Surely he was a man.
Yes, but doesn't the actual verse say that God regretted and was sorry? So why does it matter that he liked Noah when its that he is "sorry" and "regretted" something we are talking about? Shouldn't God have known this already?

How do you know the tree house was built by someone, and not the bird? I got it... Because you believe in evolution.
Because I haven't heard of anyone having observed birds building tree houses. If you can show me that, I would be impressed, they built nests and they are also "designed" by the birds, they are not randomly built. Birds of the same species tend to build the same type of nests. Obviously not as advanced as we do, because they lack a lot of the abilities we have. But you wouldn't go past a bird's nest and think, that the wind just randomly made it look like that and they are all over the tree each year and a specific bird just happen to use them. And if you are doubtful, again you could examine them to figure out the truth and you would realize that they were built by an animal.

Has it happened to you?
You are listening intently to someone, and you can almost quote them word for word, before they say the next few sentences.
Yes, but I wouldn't compare that to what God is said to be able to do.

Can you fool God?
No.
Just for clarification continuing from my last example.

If President A pushes the nuke button, does God know what President B is going to do before A uses his free will to do this?

Last edited:

Nimos

To me it doesn't matter if you (God really) knows what I am going to do. That might be possible if he lives in a different set of dimensions and sees this world as static in four dimensions. From my viewpoint, I am a system that makes choices, which I am able to make (the decision, not necessarily the actions attempt) without outside influence. That's near enough to free will for me.
Whether the illusion of free will is enough for you or not, is not really the question I think. Because I would agree that it is definitely up to debate whether we have true free will or not.
But that is not the argument made by religious people, we are talking about true free will, otherwise, God would obviously be lying and that is impossible given what is said.

And I don't see how that is possible if God knows what we do before we do it. Then our destiny must somehow have been decided, or at least God would have to be a non-intervening God, which would basically make him pointless as I see it.

nPeace

Veteran Member
Yes. You still have free will even if God knows what choices you will make.
God just allows you to do so without intervening, or interfering. So no need to know.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Notice... "might have"; "could have"; "maybe"; "might have"; "maybe", all in two short sentences alone.
You admitted, you are guessing, but when scientists do the same thing, you don't admit they are guessing. Why not?

It's called "intellectual honesty". You should try it sometimes.
And no, that's not the same as baseless guesses.

If intellectually honest language upsets you, then you might as well throw out ALL OF SCIENCE as literally every paper in every field will be using such language.

So bye bye relativity, atomic theory, germ theory, plate tectonic theory, electro magnetism, .... and literally every single other theory in any field, ever.

But then again: why does your internet device work, which is literally build with theoretical frameworks underpinning the engineering tech. So your internet device is literally build upon a framework that uses language like "might have" and "could have" and "likely" and etc.

But somehow, it only upsets you, or you only consider it a problem, when the exact same language is used in theories that contradict your a priori religious beliefs.

Why the double standard (assuming you aren't advocating to throw out ALL OF SCIENCE and instead just the science that contradicts your a priori religious beliefs)?

Why don't you complain about this language in every other field of science?

Right. You don't know, but you lean toward one side though, because you choose to believe in unguided processes.

Science doesn't require "belief". It requires evidence.

Also, adapting is called evolving, and those who believe that God created the base template, do not deny that adaptation happens.
They however do not believe in what most scientists believe, where they extrapolate on those adaptations to claim that a fish becomes, you for example.

Yeah. Creationists tend to ignore or handwave the evidence and science that contradicts their a priori religious beliefs. That's a problem for creationists, not for the science.

Are you saying that God could not have designed things which adapt?

When you are going to assume that an all powerful god exists that can do anything by definition, then obviously that god can do anything.

Including creating everything that exists only 5 seconds ago, including us with the false memories of having lived an entire lifetime and having had this silly conversation.

The real question is: why would you believe that?

The question is not if such a god could do that. Obviously he could, by definition of being able to do anything. :rolleyes:

The bad design argument is like ome saying, I don't like the fact that I have two melons on my chest. Therefore the person that made them should just go crawl under a rock and die."
Because you don't like something, doesn't make it, not designed.

Another thing... Because the driver of the Tesla 420, takes a bat to it, and then drives it into a wall, doesn't mean that Elon Musk doesn't exist, and did not design any car.
That's a terrible argument, Nimos.

That's not the argument of bad design. That's just a strawman.
The actual argument of bad design deals with very specific things which are things that one WOULD NOT expect if things were designed as is, but which would be INEVITABLE if things were the result of a process like evolution.

Such things include:
- eyes that are backwards (all the wiring in front of the photo sensitive cells, creating a blind spot)
- spines in bipedal creatures which aren't fit for bipedalism, creating lower back problems in 70% of that population
- mouths not big enough to house all the teeth
- nerves that are 50 times longer then they have to be, taking nonsensical and inefficient routes to get to their destination
- legacy anatomical traits that serve no function and in fact are more of a hindrance then anything else
- gene sequences that serve no purpose but which nevertheless exhibit the exact nested hierarchy of a family tree with other species
- ... and many many more...

None of those things are what you would expect from intentional design.
But such things would be EXACTLY what you would expect from a process like evolution, which works by tinkering generation after generation and which can't go back to the drawing board. It can only move forward with what is already present - flaws and all.

That's the actual argument of "bad design".
Things that you would NOT expect from actual design while at the same time they are exactly what you WOULD expect from a process like evolution.

That's why such things are evidence against design and also evidence FOR evolution.

Remember what "evidence" is?
Evidence = data that either supports or contradicts hypothesis.

Examples like above is data that fits the evolutionary narrative.
It's also data that does NOT fit the design narrative.

Even if you wish to "excuse it away" with post hoc apologetics, this fact remains. It IS and remains data against design and for evolution.

See how Atheists are. They ask us to give them evidence, but they can't give us any.

I just gave you some.
I guess the problem here is rather that you don't really know what is and isn't evidence.

You have not explained how we recognize design.

Be that as it may....

To this I would say that it is upto you to do that. Since you are the one who's claiming design.
So, how do YOU recognize design?
What makes YOU say things are designed (other then your religious belief telling you so, off course)

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Y
Ah. ...but you see, one of those is not human.
Gotcha! :p So you can't tell design just from looking at something, as you claimed. Designed things do not stand out, apart from undesigned things, as you are suggesting.
So, there must be another way.

Right. You don't see the "bolts" on this doll.
jiajia-480x331.jpg

China's Most Lifelike Robot

They aren't visible.
Looking under the hood, gets us to the evidence for design.
However, you believe what you believe. It's all good.
I'm not here to change your belief.

So you are saying that this robot "under the hood" stands out against natural humans ey?

:rolleyes:

Alien826

No religious beliefs
I know atheist... Oops :D like to say anything and not be corrected, but life does not work like that.
All moms and dads aren't the same, you see. :p

It is true that not everything is straightforward, but not everything isn't.
Some things require interpreting. Not all.
However, I think the Bible is its best interpreter.
Relying on us, you might get 600 different interpretations. ;)

The Bible does contain writings that cannot be taken "at face value", but there are times when things are explained (interpreted) in the Bible itself.

However, it's easy for you to say, nothing in the Bible is straightforward.
What else would atheists say... until they see differently.

It can be said that everything is interpreted as we experience it. The brain gets information from the senses and translates it into something that is at best only part of what it sees/hears/etc. That's interpretation at the most basic level.

You seem to be taking interpretation to be something to be contrasted with "truth". I'm not saying that. I'm saying that everything is interpreted by our brains with varying degrees of accuracy and there's no shame in that, and when we come to a document as complicated as the Bible, it all requires a high level of interpretation. An extreme example, I recently participated here in a thread where a Jewish gentleman who claimed that the Torah could only be correctly understood by reading it in the original Hebrew and having a lifetime of study. I thought he made a good case.

I agree that some part of the Bible do seem to be pretty straightforward in meaning, but in general I offer the fact that there are thousands of differing meanings applied to the Bible by learned people and yours is one.

No. Cursed does not necessarily mean death. It can involve death. Context matters.
One would need to consider the context of the verses they are reading, to determine how it applies.

So sinners would not necessarily be "destroyed" in God's Kingdom, as you claimed. OK