• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist straw-man argument

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
There is panentheism, which sort of melts the attributes of both monotheism and panentheism.

In any case, it seems that the less practical difference views about God make, the most personal they become.

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
There is panentheism, which sort of melts the attributes of both monotheism and panentheism.

Yeah, but as far as I know, a panentheist wouldn't say the universe is God and God is the universe, but I could be wrong. I've never been completely clear on panentheism.

LuisDantas

Aura of atheification
Premium Member
(I meant "pantheism" in the second occurrence of "panentheism", of course).

And I believe that at least some panentheists do indeed say that God and the Universe are one and the same. It is not like someone would stop them, anyway...

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
If you want to try to come off as unique or profound, go ahead, but if you think the universe is God, you're a pantheist. You might dress it up with some other beliefs, but that doesn't change the fact.

I'm Sorry that my belief system offends you, but there is no law condemning me that i can't have multiple religions and philosophies combined into one belief system, especially about having multiple viewpoints of a God.

Now, i can see that most people can't handle one religion, let along 2, or 3, or 30, or even 4,200. But i can relate to just about every religion and philosophies that there is. So in my respect, I hold strong various aspects of religion and philosophies that is dear to me.

Last edited:

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
Assuming that the attack is verbal and not physical, and doesn't harm you or incite others to harm you, that's exactly what free speech allows.

The problem arises with that word "harm". If I were to declare that I found your religious beliefs nonsensical, you might justifiably be offended; but if you wished to suppress my freedom to air that view, you would have to present your offense as a form of harm - that hurting your feelings was as damaging to you as hurting your body.

If we were to admit this, freedom of speech would become a hollow sham. If we are to sustain freedom of speech, it must include freedom to offend.

If i wanted to declare that your car or house and even flags, that you have in your lawn is offensive, then does that allow me to burn your flags, bulldoze your house, and to top it off place about 4 blocks of C4 under your car. Only because i have the right to express my views? even though what i did, didn't actually physical harm you in any way. So that would mean that I'm in the clear of not going to jail or prison, But that isn't true now is it, this would be considered as a terrorist act, and that i can spend a life sentence without the possibility of parole.

Last edited:

Magic Man

Reaper of Conversation
I'm Sorry that my belief system offends you, but there is no law condemning me that i can't have multiple religions and philosophies combined into one belief system, especially about having multiple viewpoints of a God.

Who said anything about it being offensive? You're welcome to pretend your religious beliefs are deeper than others' because you incorporate a bunch of them from a bunch of different religions. You can be a pantheist and be a Christian, or a combination of stuff, but if you believe the universe is God, you're a pantheist, even if you're also those other things.

Now, i can see that most people can't handle one religion, let along 2, or 3, or 30, or even 4,200. But i can relate to just about every religion and philosophies that there is. So in my respect, I hold strong various aspects of religion and philosophies that is dear to me.

That's great. I'm glad you're happy with your religious views, although I'm not sure why you feel the need to "brag", especially since identifying with different parts of different religions is a very common thing.

johnhanks

If i wanted to declare that your car or house and even flags, that you have in your lawn is offensive, then does that allow me to burn your flags, bulldoze your house, and to top it off place about 4 blocks of C4 under your car. Only because i have the right to express my views? even though what i did, didn't actually physical harm you in any way. So that would mean that I'm in the clear of not going to jail or prison, But that isn't true now is it, this would be considered as a terrorist act, and that i can spend a life sentence without the possibility of parole.
You seem very confused. We were discussing freedom of speech, not freedom to destroy property.

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
Who said anything about it being offensive? You're welcome to pretend your religious beliefs are deeper than others' because you incorporate a bunch of them from a bunch of different religions. You can be a pantheist and be a Christian, or a combination of stuff, but if you believe the universe is God, you're a pantheist, even if you're also those other things.

You're making bold claims that i'm pretending? what the hell is up with that, Do you even know what the word pretend even means. Where did i say that my beliefs are deeper than others, i think you should just stop right there. You're making claims that i'm faking my beliefs, on what grounds are you basing this claim on?

That's great. I'm glad you're happy with your religious views, although I'm not sure why you feel the need to "brag", especially since identifying with different parts of different religions is a very common thing.

I can't be bragging by letting you know where i stand about God and religion. Now this would be true if i said that my beliefs are better and deeper then others, because i have more then one religion and viewpoints of a God. But this isn't the case at all, i don't feel the need to tell someone that this religion is better then this religion , or that this belief system is better then that belief system, or this belief is better then having no beliefs, or having no belief is better then having a belief.

If i'm going to label myself of anything, its going to lean towards omnism then anything else.

Last edited:

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
You seem very confused. We were discussing freedom of speech, not freedom to destroy property.

If i can't express my views in that manner, then you can admit that we don't have freedom. If i can't walk around naked without getting put in jail, then you can safety say that we don't have freedom.

McBell

mantra-chanting henotheistic snake handler
If i can't express my views in that manner, then you can admit that we don't have freedom. If i can't walk around naked without getting put in jail, then you can safety say that we don't have freedom.
out of curiosity, what does this have to do with "freedom of speech"?

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
out of curiosity, what does this have to do with "freedom of speech"?

In case someone can't express themselves through a verbal language, then that someone would need to use a physical language to get across the message. Using a physical language to express oneself, is the best way to get the message across, even though it can also send the wrong message.

In other words, if i wanted to send a message to someone, in a hatred kind away, then i would use something like a flag, or a book like the Bible, or the Qur'an, then i would burn it to get that message that i hate your religion and that i hate your country.

By the way, i love DayZ , i don't have the game but i like watching game-plays of it. :D

Last edited:

johnhanks

The topic was freedom of speech, PC. And we started on it from your
... i'm aware that we have free speech, but i don't think that free speech allows you to attack someone based on their beliefs...
to which I made the counter-proposal that freedom of speech had to include freedom to offend.

I'm no expert on matters American, but to the best of my knowledge your constitution has no amendment protecting your right to destroy other people's property if they offend you or to walk around naked. if I'm wrong on this, point me to the relevant documents and I'll happily debate them with you.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
if you must know my view on the teacup logic.

If the teacup is so small that we can't even see it, even with our most highly advanced telescopes with highly advanced microscopic technology. Then it may not even exist, although in the case of it being somewhat coated in highly advanced radar scrambler skin suit, and having the ability to camouflage itself. Then the possibility of its existence is down right near impossible to find.

There ya go. We pretty much agree then.

Would you like to point out what questions i'm not answering?

Nope. Ya got me. Honest mistake.
I remember asking a bunch of questions that didn't receive a response. The reason you didn't respond was that the answer to the first question (ie. whether you are a young earth creationist or not) made the other questions redundant.
My apologies. That's what I get for relying on my somewhat dubious memory, instead of checking my facts.

:sorry1:

How exactly am i labeling you? And i very much indeed understand your view of life, in fact i already knew your view of life when you first commented on my first thread.

Don't get me wrong, I have no issue with you labeling me. Or in labeling myself. Labels are just shorthand. So, I'm an atheist. That tells people something about my religious beliefs. Or, I'm an agnostic atheist. That tells them more, but only if they have some understanding beyond the basic. Most people I deal with in a day to day fashion wouldn't know the difference between a weak or a strong atheist. They would divide the world into theists (without using that term), agnostics, and atheists.
Long as we recognize that labels are shorthand, and only tell the beginning of the story, then it's all good.

Of course its common to be agnostic atheist, but in sake of the so called new atheist movement, i think its better to just call yourself agnostic. Because of the new atheist movement, The term atheist is looking more like anti religion and anti rights then just the lack of belief in god or gods.

I understand this point of view. But I'm not agnostic. It's something I thought about for quite a while, not because I have a preference, but just in terms of the most accurate label. I am an atheist. If I don't fit the stereo-typed view of an atheist, then so be it.

When i say anti rights, i mean it's our given rights by the founding fathers to Freely exercise religion without being attack because of our beliefs. Although i'm aware that we have free speech, but i don't think that free speech allows you to attack someone based on their beliefs, that you find inconsistencies in your world view.

A few points on this.
Freedom of speech absolutely provides the right to attack someone else based on their beliefs (at least, in the US...it is a little more complicated where I live). It's actually more problematic if they start attacking people based on things they DON'T believe (ie. making stuff up, demonising, etc)
Atheists in the USA are the single most mistrusted group. They have a higher level of mistrust from the rest of the community than Muslims, homosexuals, or any other commonly mistrusted group you can think of. The reason for this is...well...buggered if I know. It would be interesting if the reasons for people's vote was included. I'm pretty sure there'd be a very high level of attack on atheist beliefs, or lack thereof.
Are you sure you want to play the freedom of speech card from a broadly Christian perspective?

Finally, on this, I actually don't agree with a lot of the stuff that some of the atheist groups in America are doing. They're trying to turn atheism into a political or (horror) semi-religious movement, which is ridiculous. Any form of fundamentalism is the antithesis of what I believe.

This may or may not clear up, that i see agnostic and atheist being mutually exclusive, and i never claimed that agnostic atheist was uncommon. Its hard to tell the differences between the so called strong atheist and the weak atheist, simple the fact that they label themselves as just atheist. if you are not label as weak atheist or agnostic atheist, it can easily be common to see that you are claiming 100% that there is no God or gods.

Fair enough. From my experience, there are more weak atheists than strong. But even most atheists (at least in Oz) wouldn't label themselves as weak or strong, and might not even know that such labels exist. Oftentimes, atheism can be a broad, fairly unsophisticated statement that a person doesn't believe there is a God.

But please don't ever claim that i don't know anything about atheism or agnosticism, I take a different view because of many definitions and dictionary seem to be conflicting with each other. And because agnosticism was invented to be anti Gnostic towards the big church claiming to have superior knowledge over everything.

I am only interested in clarifying my position. As long as you understand that, I have no reason to claim anything about yours.

I hope this clears it up :)

Probably as close as we're going to get. ;)

RedJamaX

The usual argument goes like this.....
The theist claims that god is eternal then the atheist's argument will be that if god is eternal then one should also accept that energy/mass is eternal as well as many accept. The atheist will usually state that by accept thing you are cutting out the "middle-man"(god) by doing so.

I am an atheist, and have NEVER used this argument. It's a false premise. And really only used as a counter argument to the theist claim that:
"something can't come from nothing", but then claiming that the "mind" known as god "can" created the something that we see. A "mind" is nothing... Hence, god is nothing, and theist are also then claiming that "something came from nothing".

Both sides of this are ridiculous arguments... the universe did not come from "nothing"... it came from the scientific explanation of "nothing", which is not the nothing that theists typically have an idea of... however, the "scientific nothing" is certainly much more than the nothing of a mind without a brain (god).

I used to love these arguments, but now I see how useless they really in a practical sense... which leads me to starting a new thread :)

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
Are you sure you want to play the freedom of speech card from a broadly Christian perspective?

What Christian perspectives are you talking about? i don't hide behind my religions when dealing with something of this sort. There is, if you didn't know, a debate going around the free speech act, weather it does or does not include the freedom to offend.

Now, let me put it like this, if i can't write a latter to someone in from of a death threat, then i get sent to jail or perhaps be sent to prison, what does that tell you about freedom of speech. Again i don't think freedom of speech allows you to physically attack someone. I do believe perhaps the civil rights act does protect someone from discrimination based on their national origin, race, color, religion, disability, sex, and familial status.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
What Christian perspectives are you talking about? i don't hide behind my religions when dealing with something of this sort. There is, if you didn't know, a debate going around the free speech act, weather it does or does not include the freedom to offend.

Now, let me put it like this, if i can't write a latter to someone in from of a death threat, then i get sent to jail or perhaps be sent to prison, what does that tell you about freedom of speech. Again i don't think freedom of speech allows you to physically attack someone. I do believe perhaps the civil rights act does protect someone from discrimination based on their national origin, race, color, religion, disability, sex, and familial status.

You're confusing the heck out of me, here, to be honest.

Okay, so first off, I'm unsure how to label your particular religious beliefs. Hence I used the term 'broadly Christian beliefs'. If that is inaccurate, I apologise, and I'm happy to refer to your beliefs through whatever label you want.

I am not in the least manner suggesting you are hiding behind anything. What I am suggesting is that you seem to be of the belief that Christian or religious values are under attack. So let's step back a sec...

1) When I say 'attack' I am in EVERY case talking verbal attack. Not physical attack. I abhor violence.

2) Freedom of speech by definition cannot remove the freedom to offend. What it can do is remove the ability to offend deliberately, or to offend by misrepresentation, usually via stereotypes or simply incorrect information. Our freedom of speech laws in Australia are less permissive than the USA, and they already include these type of provisions.

3) 'Freedom of speech' is not the same as 'Freedom to act'. A lot of what Christian folks in the US seem to see as attacks on religion are things like the ability of a secular school to display or teach religious materials. Or whether the ten commandments should be displayed in a court. At the heart of the matter, these are not actually freedom of speech issues. They are about the usage of government property to promote said speech.

4) As I stated, atheists are the single most mistrusted group in the USA, and I'd be interested if you had any thoughts as to why what is. Your position seems to be that atheists are attacking religion, as evidenced by this quote;

When i say anti rights, i mean it's our given rights by the founding fathers to Freely exercise religion without being attack because of our beliefs. Although i'm aware that we have free speech, but i don't think that free speech allows you to attack someone based on their beliefs, that you find inconsistencies in your world view.

That is a very interesting take on things. What does 'attack' entail in your mind? And in what manner have atheists attacked religious beliefs?
The very point of freedom of speech is to allow debate on people's beliefs. Not just religious, but religious included. Protections can be put into place so that things like inciting violence are not protected by freedom of speech.

If you could give me some sort of idea what attacks you're talking about, I might be able to respond in a more granular fashion.

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
First of all, you have to remove that "all Christians think alike logic" out of your head. Second of all, i don't mind criticisms when it comes to my belief or anyone else's for that matter.

My point is, is that, if beliefs in God or gods effects someone so much, then i do believe that person should go get a life. Now i understand that when the so call people of the so said religion, act as if God or gods wanted them to kill this so said nonbeliever or homosexual person. Then yes i do believe they should be criticize and be sent off to a remote island. But if they are not killing or harming anyone in any way, then let them believe what they want to believe, either that be believing that the whole bible is true, or believing the biblical creation is true.

As I stated, atheists are the single most mistrusted group in the USA, and I'd be interested if you had any thoughts as to why what is. Your position seems to be that atheists are attacking religion, as evidenced by this quote;

This is what i wrote when i was thinking what to put into my book that i'm writing.

If the majority of people who truly wanted freedom from religion, then i say don't talk about it, it is common sense.

Everyone should stay out of peoples business and start worrying about their own life. When you don't go around talking crap to people they don't respond. Its childish to talk bad about people on what they believe or not believe. Its time for everyone to accept what people believe or not believe. It is time for a change of acceptances, it is time to get with the picture that we are not going to be here forever. It is time for people to help each other and not go against them, it is time to live and die happy and not live and die debating.

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
First of all, you have to remove that "all Christians think alike logic" out of your head. Second of all, i don't mind criticisms when it comes to my belief or anyone else's for that matter.

I honestly don't have 'all Christians think alike' logic in my head. Christians don't all think alike. Neither do atheists. I have no idea where you got the idea that I thought that?
I am related and have dated Catholics (erm...not the same ones...lol), I had a very close friend at Uni who was AoG, and my best friends now are practising Christian, although I couldn't swear to the exact denomination.

If I looked just within the Catholic group of people I know, for example, there is a very wide range of beliefs and behaviours.

My point is, is that, if beliefs in God or gods effects someone so much, then i do believe that person should go get a life. Now i understand that when the so call people of the so said religion, act as if God or gods wanted them to kill this so said nonbeliever or homosexual person. Then yes i do believe they should be criticize and be sent off to a remote island. But if they are not killing or harming anyone in any way, then let them believe what they want to believe, either that be believing that the whole bible is true, or believing the biblical creation is true.

If they are not harming anyone, not only would I let them believe whatever they wanted, I would defend their right to do so. I made a semi-serious post in another thread, that the only way I would choose to go to a Catholic Church (apart from attending weddings, funerals, etc) would be if the government tried to ban people from attending Catholic Church. In that case it would behoove me to defend their right to religion.

All comes down to the Golden Rule, I suppose.

If the majority of people who truly wanted freedom from religion, then i say don't talk about it, it is common sense.

I can only agree with that up to a point. I live my life religion free. I am happy for other people to live theirs in a religious manner. There is, unfortunately, an inevitable crossover. As much as possible, I personally live my life in a manner that respects other's beliefs, and wish only for them to respect mine. So, when my Christian friends say Grace, I abstain quietly. When my friends Christian son tells my daughter she has to say Grace, I politely tell her she doesn't, and try to leave it to his parents to explain why to him. I reserve the right to speak up where I think my rights are being infringed, whether it be based on religion, race, gender, or whatever else. I am in no way militant, and think fundamentalism of any sort is disrespectful to our shared humanity.

Courteous debate and discourse are absolutely necessary on these issues, though. Without them, the only avenue becomes discourteous debate and discourse, or worse.

Everyone should stay out of peoples business and start worrying about their own life. When you don't go around talking crap to people they don't respond. Its childish to talk bad about people on what they believe or not believe. Its time for everyone to accept what people believe or not believe. It is time for a change of acceptances, it is time to get with the picture that we are not going to be here forever. It is time for people to help each other and not go against them, it is time to live and die happy and not live and die debating.

I broadly concur.

PastorClark

Agnostic Christain
I honestly don't have 'all Christians think alike' logic in my head. Christians don't all think alike. Neither do atheists. I have no idea where you got the idea that I thought that?

You seem to be labeling my views of life only on Christian perspectives?, that is way i said that, Now in case you didn't mean it that why, then please accept my apology for this error

Maybe i should just point out some things in a list of some sort.

1. I don't care if someone expresses their views on religion.
2. I don't care if someone expresses their views on God or gods not being real.
3. I do care however, if someone states that someone is delusional, or deluded, or insane, because that person believes differently then that person.
4. I do care however if someone states that atheism and science is the only way of life, it can go both ways.
5. I do care however if someone thinks all religion and the people of those religion should be killed.​

I'm not saying that atheist can't voice their views or anyone for that matter, its when they take it too far, such as Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. Richard Dawkins has a book called The God Delusion, 'which by the way i need to buy it and see it for myself'. just by the title of the book, it screams out that anyone who believes in God or gods are delusional. Now, the title doesn't affect me as much as you may think. but what it does say, Is that Richard Dawkins believes that anyone who doesn't believe in God or gods, are somewhat better then the ones who do believe in God or gods. They are better then the believers, on the grounds of having logic, reason and rational thought process.

Sam Harris defends 'the freedom to offend an imaginary God', Now, maybe its just me, but when you go so far in your atheism towards an anti-religion stage. You have lost all logic, reason, rational and open mindless thought process, you can't offend something that may not even exist. Now, i can turn this all around and say that were gods, then that would put all seven billion of us under the delusional statement. Stated multiple times by Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris and few others.

Don't get me wrong, i know it seems odd to believe in something that may or may not even exist. But i believe that we should just accept what people do if only its not harming anyone.

Off topic: Have you ever had a cat that chewed electrical wires, my cat chewed both my headphones and mouse wires. Now i have to listen movies and videos with only one ear. And pretty soon going to have to use my touch pad. lol

lewisnotmiller

Grand Hat
Staff member
Premium Member
You seem to be labeling my views of life only on Christian perspectives?, that is way i said that, Now in case you didn't mean it that why, then please accept my apology for this error

No need to apologise. I can see that your views are not strictly Christian. I think you study the bible though (based on some other posts you made in the past). Again, I mean no disrespect, I'm just not sure how to refer to your beliefs quickly. Without saying 'my rough understanding of your belief system' or some such...lol

Maybe i should just point out some things in a list of some sort.

1. I don't care if someone expresses their views on religion.
2. I don't care if someone expresses their views on God or gods not being real.
3. I do care however, if someone states that someone is delusional, or deluded, or insane, because that person believes differently then that person.
4. I do care however if someone states that atheism and science is the only way of life, it can go both ways.
5. I do care however if someone thinks all religion and the people of those religion should be killed.​

I'm not saying that atheist can't voice their views or anyone for that matter, its when they take it too far, such as Sam Harris and Richard Dawkins. Richard Dawkins has a book called The God Delusion, 'which by the way i need to buy it and see it for myself'. just by the title of the book, it screams out that anyone who believes in God or gods are delusional. Now, the title doesn't affect me as much as you may think. but what it does say, Is that Richard Dawkins believes that anyone who doesn't believe in God or gods, are somewhat better then the ones who do believe in God or gods. They are better then the believers, on the grounds of having logic, reason and rational thought process.

Hmmm. To be honest, I think they ('new atheists', if you will) have the most issue with anyone who interprets Bible stories (or other holy book stories) as literal. I have seen Dawkins struggle whilst talking to someone who was clearly intelligent, and believed in the literal stories of the Quran, as Dawkins couldn't reconcile the two.

In any case, I'll point back to my original statement. I don't claim to be able to prove God can't exist, and I would defend people's rights to believe what they want if it's not harming others, since that is the same right I claim. Fundamentalism of any flavour is unhelpful. That includes non-religious fundementalism.

Sam Harris defends 'the freedom to offend an imaginary God', Now, maybe its just me, but when you go so far in your atheism towards an anti-religion stage. You have lost all logic, reason, rational and open mindless thought process, you can't offend something that may not even exist. Now, i can turn this all around and say that were gods, then that would put all seven billion of us under the delusional statement. Stated multiple times by Richard Dawkins, and Sam Harris and few others.

I'm not a big fan of religion, I gotta say. I'm waaay more comfortable with people believing in God than I am with people following the tenets of most religions. There are an astounding number of people who purport to follow a religion, and have little idea about it's tenets, or the implication of their adherance. But again, I have plenty of practicing Christian friends. I think it's human nature to judge people, but I don't judge them on their religion. At least generally...that might not hold true if a Raelist, or a member of the WBC walked through the door, though for entirely different reasons.

Sam Harris is defending his right to say things which religious folk would find blasphemous. Obviously, if God doesn't exist, he can't be offended, it's the turn of phrase he uses when speaking to an audience that would include believers. I would defend the same right (to say things that some would think offend God...). That is not to say I would ever deliberately blaspheme or insult a religious person for the sake of it. I am, I believe, pretty well informed and tolerant when it comes to religion. I would even go so far as to suggest I am more tolerant of most religions than religious people are of religions which are not their own. (MASSIVE generalisation...just saying, I'm not the one snorting under my breath when attending a church)

Sam Harris himself is actually a pretty polite guy, most of the time. If he's the most aggressive atheist you can come up with, we're way ahead of the game. Some of the hate directed at atheists by religious folk is reprehensible. I could post to some websites which make me pretty sad. And discrimination against atheists has, and continues to occur around the world very commonly. I am very lucky to live in a secular society, so far as that goes.

Don't get me wrong, i know it seems odd to believe in something that may or may not even exist. But i believe that we should just accept what people do if only its not harming anyone.

I don't find it particularly odd. I'm a massive student of history, and history suggests belief in 'something' is far more common than any other position. And...again...I would defend your right to believe whatever you like if it's not harming anyone.

Off topic: Have you ever had a cat that chewed electrical wires, my cat chewed both my headphones and mouse wires. Now i have to listen movies and videos with only one ear. And pretty soon going to have to use my touch pad. lol

Not a cat, but my dog. When he was a puppy, he went through a massive chewing stage. Table and chair legs were his favourite, but he got hold of my Playstation and chewed through a controller cord, and the av cabling...lol
Gotta love 'em, right?