• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheist files complaint over restaurant's Sunday promotion

Father Heathen

Veteran Member
I think private businesses should be allowed to serve whom and what they will, and that everyone should also have the right to decide for themselves what businesses to shop at.

No shoes, no shirt, no service - perfectly fine - someone could say that is refusing to serve someone of a certain belief.

Should all restaurants be forced to cater to vegetarians? or people with various allergies and food intolerance? No. If you're a vegetarian, just don't eat at a BBQ restaurant. If you're allergic to wheat, the pastry shop probably isn't for you. If every store has to cater to every single special interest group - every shape and size and personal preference, everyone would go out of business except Wallmart (only a super big mega store would have enough variety for everyone)

Yet if someone were refused service because they were a Mormon, you would be singing a different tune.

idea

Question Everything
Yet if someone were refused service because they were a Mormon, you would be singing a different tune.

If someone refused me service, I would be happy not to shop there. I'm not a control freak, I am happy to stay out of their store, let them do what they want in their store (so long as they are not coming on my property either). I don't support cigaret stores, or stores that sell alcohol, and I honestly don't feel left out or persecuted because such stores exist.

I'm thankful for a diversity of stores to shop at, and enjoy supporting businesses who share the same beliefs and morals that I do.

Last edited:

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
If someone refused me service, I would be happy not to shop there. I'm not a control freak, I am happy to stay out of their store, let them do what they want in their store (so long as they are not coming on my property either). I don't support cigaret stores, or stores that sell alcohol, and I honestly don't feel left out or persecuted because such stores exist.

I'm thankful for a diversity of stores to shop at, and enjoy supporting businesses who share the same beliefs and morals that I do.
What about if all the businesses in town decided not to sell to you? Or if you did want to shop there, you had to go to the back door and get only what they decided to sell you?

The history of our country has shown that it is completely possible for this to occur because it HAS based on race, and obviously religion too. I know there's been discrimination against Catholics, and Mormons, and ... and... and...

If you have 12 different grocery stores within 20 minutes, then no big deal. If you have 1 grocery store, big effing deal. And we have to set a universal policy on this, not just "you can't discriminate only if there are no other options."

idav

Being
Premium Member
"Telling someone where they can and can't sit based on race" = deliberately misplacing the status of that race in relation to the community, and by extention, the status of that particular individual in relation to the discriminator (the one whose status remains unaffected).
How about we just start giving discounts on looks and wardrobe. That won't make anyone upset and if it does well then they didn't deserve the service in the first place.

ChristineES

Tiggerism
Premium Member
How about we just start giving discounts on looks and wardrobe. That won't make anyone upset and if it does well then they didn't deserve the service in the first place.

More than one person has mentioned that the people who have a coupon, not follow a certain religion, gets the discount- what people are complaining is where the coupon is found- on a Church bulletin. Anyone could get the discount if they have the bulletin. I suppose we are supposed to only find coupons only in certain places.

I think the whole thing has been blown way out of proportion.

idav

Being
Premium Member
More than one person has mentioned that the people who have a coupon, not follow a certain religion, gets the discount- what people are complaining is where the coupon is found- on a Church bulletin. Anyone could get the discount if they have the bulletin. I suppose we are supposed to only find coupons only in certain places.

When creating discounts based on customer preference not everybody will ever be happy. With that a business should be willing to lose some customers here, maybe gain some more somewhere else. I would think businesses wouldn't want to alienate customers at all but places like Chick-Fil-A show that isn't always the case.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
What is your point?

When creating discounts based on customer preference not everybody will ever be happy. With that a business should be willing to lose some customers here, maybe gain some more somewhere else. I would think businesses wouldn't want to alienate customers at all but places like Chick-Fil-A show that isn't always the case.
It's not about making anyone happy. It's about the equality of man--and that doesn't mean making men equal. Thanks to the philosophy of humanism and the period of the Enlightenment, men are already equal. We don't have to go out of our way and complain to the Human Relations Commission because we didn't get a discount to make us equal--equality is already ours despite the discount.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

The original discount was for people who brought in *their* church bulletin. This was only softened to *a* church bulletin when the restaurant was challenged on their policy.

And even at that, it's a jerky policy, IMO, and illegal discrimination.

However, as I've repeated in the thread, it's not like I'd file a complaint over the issue. I just wouldn't go to that restaurant.

idea

Question Everything
What about if all the businesses in town decided not to sell to you? Or if you did want to shop there, you had to go to the back door and get only what they decided to sell you?

The history of our country has shown that it is completely possible for this to occur because it HAS based on race, and obviously religion too. I know there's been discrimination against Catholics, and Mormons, and ... and... and...

If you have 12 different grocery stores within 20 minutes, then no big deal. If you have 1 grocery store, big effing deal. And we have to set a universal policy on this, not just "you can't discriminate only if there are no other options."

When Mormons were persecuted in the past, they moved - they created their own city, their own businesses, their own farms, so they did not have to rely on those who did not like them. It was a hard and sad thing to do, but possible. I guess that's why people with similar beliefs tend to congregate with one another.

Drolefille

PolyPanGeekGirl
When Mormons were persecuted in the past, they moved - they created their own city, their own businesses, their own farms, so they did not have to rely on those who did not like them. It was a hard and sad thing to do, but possible. I guess that's why people with similar beliefs tend to congregate with one another.

So you would move? Because you didn't answer my question. If it were you personally discriminated against and rejected from stores and restaurants would you feel so blasé? Because I would be ****** off. MLK Jr. Was ****** off too, and he didn't move either. Becuase what if there isn't anywhere else for you to go?

We've said as a country that segregation is not the solution, places of business have to be public use. And the idea that it's ok to discriminate because you can go someplace else comes from such a place of privilege- privilege that you can afford to go somewhere else, privilege that other places will accept you and so on- that it is almost entitlement. One's right to discriminate ends when one opens a business and that really is a good thing.