• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism is not the mere lack of belief in gods

Truls

Thinker
Well, I myself think that the only compelling evidence is personal experience. The claim came from that.

If I may be so bold, it's not that you're harder to convince; it's that your experience differs.
Probably true, but I would say that a claim that relies on personal experience and emotions to prove itself is objectively a weaker claim than one that has more substantial support. If I introduce the theory of gravity and the evidence for it and demonstrate experimental proof, that is more convincing than me appealing to your personal experience to support some shared ideology.

So I guess I'm disagreeing with you that personal experience is the best evidence and instead saying that undeniable demonstrations are notably more reliable.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Probably true, but I would say that a claim that relies on personal experience and emotions to prove itself is objectively a weaker claim than one that has more substantial support.

If I introduce the theory of gravity and the evidence for it and demonstrate experimental proof, that is more convincing than me appealing to your personal experience to support some shared ideology.

So I guess I'm disagreeing with you that personal experience is the best evidence and instead saying that undeniable demonstrations are notably more reliable.
Oh, I didn't mean it's a good argument. It's not convincing at all second-hand. I'm saying that your own experiences are the only good reason to believe, or not.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
Probably true, but I would say that a claim that relies on personal experience and emotions to prove itself is objectively a weaker claim than one that has more substantial support. If I introduce the theory of gravity and the evidence for it and demonstrate experimental proof, that is more convincing than me appealing to your personal experience to support some shared ideology.

Belief is not about convincing others of the veracity of its evidence. There's only one person that the evidence need convince, that being the only person involved in the process of believing.

Copernicus

Industrial Strength Linguist
Belief is not about convincing others of the veracity of its evidence. There's only one person that the evidence need convince, that being the only person involved in the process of believing.

But I have to agree with Truls. The problem with personal experience and personal intuition is that it is demonstrably unreliable. We all misinterpret our experiences from time to time. We know that it is possible to believe false claims, and we also know that it is easier to convince ourselves of something we very much want to believe than of something that we very much want not to believe. We also know that it is easier to believe things that lots of other people believe--especially those whom we love, trust, or identify with. So being able to verify claims and corroborate them through multiple sources of information is extremely important. I may very well experience the same feelings and emotions about the wonder of the universe that Christians do. I just don't interpret those feelings as evidence of the existence of a spiritual being who created it all.

Storm

ThrUU the Looking Glass
Nothing can be truly proven, though. Eventually, we have to pick a reality and go with it. I go with what I perceive, and that includes God. What do you go with?

Copernicus

...God has never been consistently claimed to be imperceptible...Imperceptibility is only claimed when believers have to account for the fact that God doesn't show up at times when we might reasonably expect him to show up.

Well no one has ever claimed that God has a physical measurable manifestation (to my knowledge) so it is usually implied that God is imperceptible...

Note: I recognized that people made such a claim, and I attributed a motivation for it.

...Older pagan religions had God as perceptible beings (which were disproven) and modern monotheistic religions tend to have an omniscient, omnipresent being who I can only assume is imperceptible. You're right its an assumption but it seems to be a rather well purported one and I wouldn't hesitate to describe modern gods as imperceptible. Perhaps we should lay out a concrete definition of a 'god' before we continue?

I don't know whether I did that earlier in this thread, but I usually define a god as an intelligent agency that has absolute control over some aspect of reality. That may not cover all concepts of what the word "god" means, but it does seem to cover most uses of the word. Now word meanings can be very squishy things. We normally attribute a whole range of conceptual properties to them, and we can easily emphasize some properties at the expense of others in normal discourse. So I think that most people think of gods as undetectable spiritual beings who can manifest themselves physically in our reality when they choose to. However, that is not a necessary requirement. I think that gods must have to have manifestation and control power of some sort to be considered gods. Ghosts can sometimes manifest themselves, but they don't have absolute control over anything. If we are just talking about completely undetectable beings that cannot impinge on our reality, then they don't meet the minimal qualification.

But this is all about what licenses belief and disbelief. You do not have to have an absolute proof of nonexistence to have a reasonable case for nonexistence. Atheism is not about whether gods can possibly exist, but whether they can be reasonably said to exist. Denial of belief is not quite the same as merely lacking a belief. It is the assertion of an opinion about the existence of something. And there are plenty of arguments to justify rejecting belief that there is a giant, invisible rabbit in a room. But those arguments only make sense after one has considered the arguments for why one ought to believe in the existence of that giant, invisible rabbit.

But the burden of proof lies with the positive assertion. The default condition is skepticism and from there an individual is convinced to accept a proposition. You needn't create a disproof for every claim that anyone ever makes, that would be an endless task. Rather they need to prove to you that their assertion is correct.

I can't disagree with anything you have said here, but skepticism is by definition a rejection of a belief. It does not count as a lack of belief. I can hardly be called a skeptic of claims I have never heard before. I may be seriously conflicted over the truth of a claim. That does not qualify me as a skeptic. I think you get the point I am trying to make, because you made the same point in your discussion with Storm.

You do not (or at least should not) accept that a giant invisible bunny is in the room until you have proof to the contrary, you should simply ignore that proposition until evidence is offered.

I don't know. I would ask for evidence of such a claim. I wouldn't just ignore the claim. But that's just me. I would be cautious if the man making the claim were brandishing a weapon. Then I might withhold skeptical comment. ;)

But to reject a belief you have to believe it to some degree. Gods you can simply ignore until you are convinced that they have merit.

You do not have to believe a claim in order to reject it. We all weigh the merits of claims in our own minds. So it may be that we create some sort of mental advocate for a belief in order to debate its merits. But I think that is precisely what atheists do with gods. They try to imagine how the idea might be defended. They don't just ignore the claim that a god exists. They actively consider it. I do, anyway.

Any proposition can be made, but it isn't accepted until evidence is offered.

Slight disagreement. Usually, arguments (and alleged evidence) are offered. Theists almost always do more than assert a claim about the existence of a deity. They defend the proposition, sometimes quite vigorously. It is not that they lack proof, but that the proof they present lacks credibility. As I have said before, you have to look at the arguments for God before you can reject belief in God. You and I are in violent agreement on this point, I believe.

Most of our opinions are based on what is plausible, not what is merely possible. After all, it is possible that you really live on Mars, but you suffer from the delusion that you live on Earth. Are you going to claim that it is impossible to prove that you don't live on Mars? Well, it may make me look foolish to you, but I reject the belief that I live on Mars. I'm willing to entertain counterarguments, but first I want the proponent to be properly medicated.

No, I don't disagree that it is possible, but until I see some evidence for it I do not believe it. It seems to me that you believe everything and then come up with a case to deny it (rejection.)

No, you weigh the evidence for belief. I think it a useful metaphor to think of the mind as a collection of proponents on both sides of every belief. We weigh the arguments for every claim, and we end up rejecting the arguments for one side after listening to the mental debate. There is always a certain amount of uncertainty in claims about the world, but that is not the same as saying that you actually believe the claims prior to rejection.

You seem to suggest that all ideas deserve respect and acceptance until reasonably proven false.

No, I'm not arguing against burden of proof. I consider it a reasonable way to approach every claim. I'm arguing against the claim that atheism is mere lack of belief. We reject claims that do not meet the burden of proof, but it is silly to pretend that theists never offer proof or argument. What atheists reject is a conclusion based on inadequate argument. That rejection does not constitute an absence of belief, but a belief that gods probably do not exist anywhere but in human imagination.

leahrachelle

I completely agree. And I also want to point out that it is offensive to describe us as 'lacking to believe' because this infers that there is a god. It is even stated this way in some dictionaries, which is pretty sad.

Truls

Thinker
Hmm. So you would classify all infants as agnostics who, once more developed, decide between theism and atheism, rejecting the phrase "everyone is born an atheist."

Now, I will go a step further and say that there is a difference between so-called weak and strong atheists. Strong atheists claim to have positive evidence against the existence of gods. Weak atheists tend to fall back on the claim that theists have so far failed to meet their burden of proof (meaning that all of their arguments fail).

However, (I went back to your original post for this) I disagree with your second proposition that weak atheists and strong atheists are one and the same. I'll return to this diagram since it pretty elegantly describes my position on this.
diagram1.jpg

If I agree with you on the proposition that atheists reject God, it applies to all people who reject God. There is also a scale for how vocally opposed to theism an atheist is (Anti-Theism.) However one cannot provide evidence against God, even as you've defined it. You can counter specific arguments in favor of God, but there can be no evidence against supreme power. Thus there is no strong atheist.

Copernicus

Hmm. So you would classify all infants as agnostics who, once more developed, decide between theism and atheism, rejecting the phrase "everyone is born an atheist."

I would also reject the phrase that everyone is born an agnostic. I don't see agnosticism as lack of belief either. It is suspension of belief with respect to some expressed claim. I make a distinction between people who lack belief because of ignorance of a claim and those who take some expressed stand with respect to a claim that they have considered.

However, (I went back to your original post for this) I disagree with your second proposition that weak atheists and strong atheists are one and the same.

I consider the difference to be more one of attitude--that strong atheists are willing to defend their rejection of atheism more aggressively. Weak atheists tend to be those who fall back on the claim that theists have failed to meet their burden of proof. One can agree with the weak atheist position and still be willing to go beyond it. I do think, however, that there isn't a lot of sense in putting too fine a point on such distinctions. In the end, most people don't fit neatly into any stereotype.

If I agree with you on the proposition that atheists reject God, it applies to all people who reject God. There is also a scale for how vocally opposed to theism an atheist is (Anti-Theism.) However one cannot provide evidence against God, even as you've defined it. You can counter specific arguments in favor of God, but there can be no evidence against supreme power. Thus there is no strong atheist.

There can be reasons to reject belief in God (or gods), just as there can be reasons to reject belief in Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny. The reasons for rejecting belief in God are a bit more difficult to make only because nobody really takes the existence of the fairy tale characters seriously. I have steadfastly maintained that atheism entails a response to belief in God. One has to examine how people define gods and how that squares with reality as we know it. For example, we know that human minds are dependent on the condition of a physical brain for their function. We would need to argue that it is reasonable to believe in the existence of brainless minds in order to believe in an immaterial thinking being. You would have to stretch your beliefs about physical limitations on behavior also to think that Santa can drop down chimneys. You can't prove that Santa is unable to do that, given his alleged magical powers, but that is different from buying the argument that Santa's nonexistence is inarguable.

jrbogie

I don't know whether my stand will generate any controversy, but let's see if there are any negative reactions. Here is my claim: Atheism is not mere lack of belief in gods. It is the rejection of belief in gods.

ok. that's your stand.

It is sometimes said that we are all born atheists, but that is just not true. We cannot be said to reject claims before we even consider them. Atheism can only be meaningful after one dismisses arguments in favor of God and/or gods. When an atheist claims that there is no evidence of God's existence, he means that the proofs offered so far have either not really been evidence, or it is insufficient evidence.

yep. i think we're all born agnostic. as an infant we have even less capability to know gods or anything else than we do as a mature adult. yep, love it. we're all born agnostic, then some of us begin to BELIEVE that we're actually learning something.

Now, I will go a step further and say that there is a difference between so-called weak and strong atheists. Strong atheists claim to have positive evidence against the existence of gods. Weak atheists tend to fall back on the claim that theists have so far failed to meet their burden of proof (meaning that all of their arguments fail).

ok, fine. i simply don't get into trying to define what other people think is a strong/weak atheist or whatever. i let those people make their own claims.

BTW, the claim that atheism means just "not theism" because a- is a negative prefix in Greek is not a valid argument. It is an etymological fallacy. Word meanings are determined solely by usage, not by their etymological history.

and what the word means to each of us. at least on forums such as this. i can likely find a half dozen definitions of atheism in each dictionary i look and each dictionary will have a different half dozen definitions. so it's rediculous for you to sit here and make the claim that "atheism" is not "just not theism" because of some negative greek arguement not being valid or whatever. you simply don't get to define the meanings of words other than that's how you use that word. you can say i'm "full of feces" and i can say that "i deficate feces" and the word feces takes on a different meaning.

Am I right to criticize the definition of atheism as mere lack of belief in gods?

who can answer that question other than you? but when i speak of atheism, i'm referring to one who believes that it's fact that god does not exist; that it's fact that god is impossible. to me it simplifies the issue. i just don't get into strong/weak atheism or whatever. with regards to religion there are two stances it seems to me. you are a theist who believes god exists or you are an atheist who believes god does not exist. as an agnostic i take no stance whatsoever because i think that none of us can ever know one way or another.

Last edited:

Jayhawker Soule

-- untitled --
Premium Member
... when i speak of atheism, i'm referring to one who believes that it's fact that god does not exist; that it's fact that god is impossible. to me it simplifies the issue. i just don't get into strong/weak atheism or whatever. with regards to religion there are two stances it seems to me. you are a theist who believes god exists or you are an atheist who believes god does not exist. as an agnostic i take no stance whatsoever because i think that none of us can ever know one way or another.
A somewhat dated but still worthwhile article is Atheism, Agnosticism, Noncognitivism by Theodore M. Drange,

Copernicus

BTW, the claim that atheism means just "not theism" because a- is a negative prefix in Greek is not a valid argument. It is an etymological fallacy. Word meanings are determined solely by usage, not by their etymological history.

and what the word means to each of us. at least on forums such as this. i can likely find a half dozen definitions of atheism in each dictionary i look and each dictionary will have a different half dozen definitions. so it's rediculous for you to sit here and make the claim that "atheism" is not "just not theism" because of some negative greek arguement not being valid or whatever. you simply don't get to define the meanings of words other than that's how you use that word. you can say i'm "full of feces" and i can say that "i deficate feces" and the word feces takes on a different meaning.

Etymological fallacies are well-known fallacies. So there is nothing wrong with my rejection of a claim that is based on an etymological fallacy. Usage determines word meanings, not their etymology. And I would never say that you are full of feces. I assure you that I would use the other word. ;)

Am I right to criticize the definition of atheism as mere lack of belief in gods?

who can answer that question other than you? but when i speak of atheism, i'm referring to one who believes that it's fact that god does not exist; that it's fact that god is impossible. to me it simplifies the issue...

Well, that certainly is a common misconception of atheism that is usually spread by those who want to portray atheists as extreme and unreasonable in their rejection of theism. I think that this misconception explains the errors in your thinking over a number of your posts. A case can be made that the Christian concept of God is impossible (see The Impossibility of God), but it is hard to find any atheists who will defend the idea that all gods are logically impossible beings. You oversimplify the issue in a way that is biased by the Christian-dominated culture that we exist in.

i just don't get into strong/weak atheism or whatever. with regards to religion there are two stances it seems to me. you are a theist who believes god exists or you are an atheist who believes god does not exist. as an agnostic i take no stance whatsoever because i think that none of us can ever know one way or another.

So are you now claiming that you no longer believe God to be as implausible a being as Santa Claus? You seem to forget yourself sometimes and blurt out positions that suggest you are as strong an atheist as any of us. You just don't seem to like the stigma that is associated with the label.

jrbogie

Well, that certainly is a common misconception of atheism that is usually spread by those who want to portray atheists as extreme and unreasonable in their rejection of theism. I think that this misconception explains the errors in your thinking over a number of your posts. A case can be made that the Christian concept of God is impossible (see The Impossibility of God), but it is hard to find any atheists who will defend the idea that all gods are logically impossible beings. You oversimplify the issue in a way that is biased by the Christian-dominated culture that we exist in.

from webster:

atheist

One entry found.

Main Entry: athe·ist Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\ Function: noun Date: 1551 : one who believes that there is no deity

So are you now claiming that you no longer believe God to be as implausible a being as Santa Claus? You seem to forget yourself sometimes and blurt out positions that suggest you are as strong an atheist as any of us. You just don't seem to like the stigma that is associated with the label.

i THINK, believe nothing, that god and santa are equally implausible. never said otherwise did i? well did i? jeez.

Copernicus

...but it is hard to find any atheists who will defend the idea that all gods are logically impossible beings. You oversimplify the issue in a way that is biased by the Christian-dominated culture that we exist in....

from webster:
atheist
One entry found.
Main Entry: athe·ist Pronunciation: \ˈā-thē-ist\ Function: noun Date: 1551 : one who believes that there is no deity

JR, there is no "webster" dictionary. You got that from Merriam-Webster, one of the many dictionaries that sports the name "Webster" in its title to convey a false sense of authority. I'm glad that you try to back up your position with such references, but this one doesn't help you. It does not define atheists as people who think deities impossible, only as people who believe they don't exist. That, in fact, is my position. It is also your position, if you have meant what you said about believing gods implausible.

i THINK, believe nothing, that god and santa are equally implausible. never said otherwise did i? well did i? jeez.
Could you clarify your position on Santa Claus again? Do you or do you not think/believe that Santa Claus is an implausible being?

Tristesse

I don't know whether my stand will generate any controversy, but let's see if there are any negative reactions. Here is my claim: Atheism is not mere lack of belief in gods. It is the rejection of belief in gods.

It is sometimes said that we are all born atheists, but that is just not true. We cannot be said to reject claims before we even consider them. Atheism can only be meaningful after one dismisses arguments in favor of God and/or gods. When an atheist claims that there is no evidence of God's existence, he means that the proofs offered so far have either not really been evidence, or it is insufficient evidence.

No, your not wrong, it's both, it's a lack of belief, and a rejection of the claim. Most atheists would say, people who claim there is a god have not met their burden of proof sufficient to make me believe it. Most people are atheists with regard to other gods, some us just have one god further. ;)