• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism - I don't understand it

Reptillian

Hamburgler Extraordinaire
I was foolishly once a leprechaun agnostic, but once I accepted their existence through faith, I was able to learn many interesting facts about them. They hide pots of gold at the end of rainbows, wear buckles on their shoes, and if you catch one it might grant you a wish. I don't understand how some people can't believe in leprechauns...I mean the evidence is right there in the open. After all, rainbows, gold, and shoe buckles exist.

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
You wouldn't call the disbelief in Santa, Easter bunny or tooth fairy a belief system.
I would and do! My faith in Santa was destroyed by Johnnie Dalhquist's evidence to the contrary. It was replaced with an even stronger faith that Santa doesn't exist. That disbelief system allowed me to play Santa to my children so that they too, may join in the fun and frolic that losing a treasured belief entails. Mon Dieu! In spite of my training to be an atheist, I still believe in God.

camanintx

I do not understand the average atheists position clearly. Does he/she not believe in God because
1. He/she feels like it, or
2. He/she feels that if there was any evidence it would be known to him/her already and since nothing is known so there can't be any evidence.
Why don't you believe in Zeus, Thor, Ra or any of the hundreds of other Gods humans have created to explain the world around them? When you can answer this question, you will understand why I don't believe in your God.

A-ManESL

Without evidence, belief is delusion.

What would you call belief that is not backed with evidence?

Perhaps, but firstly a believer in the sense you are talking about does not equal a Muslim. The Quran (verse 49:14) distinguishes between a believer (roughly a person to whom that evidence you are talking of has become self evident) and a Muslim (who has submitted but has not seen the evidence). At least that's the Quranic view in my opinion.

What one should do is withold belief in either conclusion.
But what you have still not clarified that why isn't agnosticism isn't a natural position for you then.

BobbyisStrange

The Adversary
I would and do! My faith in Santa was destroyed by Johnnie Dalhquist's evidence to the contrary. It was replaced with an even stronger faith that Santa doesn't exist. That disbelief system allowed me to play Santa to my children so that they too, may join in the fun and frolic that losing a treasured belief entails. Mon Dieu! In spite of my training to be an atheist, I still believe in God.

I don't think you can have faith something doesn't exist, that's the problem. In order to have faith you have to believe it exists.

Last edited:

A-ManESL

To answer your question, it is about perspectives. From my perspective, I dont see a reason to believe that a supernatural entity, like God, exists. It would fall into the same category as, say, a unicorn. I have not seen any evidence. But does that mean that there is no evidence? If he exist then there may be something somewhere that proves it. I have however not seen it, so how can I be convinced by it? I dont really feel any need to believe in Gods existence either (I have apatheistic tendencies), so I guess its just more natural for me to be an atheist.

Thank you for your reply. Don't you feel it would be also natural for you to be agnostic. Can one be an agnostic and an atheist?

A-ManESL

How do you define 'atheism' and 'agnosticism'?

By atheism I understand that this school of thought posits that there is no God.

By agnosticism I understand that this school of thought posits that there may be a God or may be not.

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
By atheism I understand that this school of thought posits that there is no God.

By agnosticism I understand that this school of thought posits that there may be a God or may be not.
Agnostic atheism: "I cannot be certain, but I don't believe in God".

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
Do agnostic atheists base this belief (or non-belief rather) on their gut feeling. If not, on what is this based?
For some, perhaps. Many base it in lack of evidence. "There is nothing saying a god doesn't exist, but I have no reason to believe one does (until evidence shows otherwise)".

A-ManESL

lol...I am as puzzled as ever. Its a logical conundrum. The atheistic axiom seems to be: If there is no evidence of some statement X then there should be no reason to accept it. Right?

Now in place of X if I write "God doesnt exist" then I have the logical conclusion:

There is no evidence of the validity of the statement "God doesn't exist" hence there should be no reason to accept this statement.

(Unless of course, there is a reason like some of the posters said: their personal experiences etc)

Last edited:

Gjallarhorn

N'yog-Sothep
lol...I am as puzzled as ever. Its a logical conundrum. If there is no evidence of some statement X then there should be no reason to accept it. Right?

Now in place of X if I write "God doesnt exist" then I have the logical conclusion:

There is no evidence of the validity of the statement "God doesn't exist" hence there should be no reason to accept this statement.

(Unless of course, there is a reason like some of the posters said: their personal experiences etc)
Now replace X with "My two-headed polka-dotted dragon-weasel doesn't exist." :D