• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism - I don't understand it

Scuba Pete

Le plongeur avec attitude...
I guess we're very fortunate, then, that rights are inalienable.
Are they? It's my opinion that if Dawkins had his way, theism would be outlawed. His bigotry when it comes to religion is not only accepted but embraced by many in the atheistic community including many right here on RF. It's just as detestable as bigotry leveled towards gays, women or anyone else.

People can be pretty short sighted when it comes to religion and I am talking about those both for and against. The same laws that protect religion from us also protect us from religion.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
This brought to you by someone without children.

Love is by definition a decision to act. Ergo, it can't be "involuntary". You're stuck on the emotional love based on attraction. That's not selfless. It can turn into that, but it doesn't start out that way.

You won't figure out selfless love until you're put in that position. You'll love it when you get there, but right now it can't make sense to you.

Love is, by definition, a feeling.

Scuba Pete

Love is, by definition, a feeling.
What a sad definition that is.

Love is action. If your love doesn't compel you to act, then it's not love: it's sexual attraction or infatuation.

I Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.
NIV

Koldo

Outstanding Member
What a sad definition that is.

Love is action. If your love doesn't compel you to act, then it's not love: it's sexual attraction or infatuation.

You have no authority over language. :rolleyes:
You may dislike the most common definition to love, but it doesn't mean it doesn't exist.

I Corinthians 13:4 Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. 5 It does not dishonor others, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrongs. 6 Love does not delight in evil but rejoices with the truth. 7 It always protects, always trusts, always hopes, always perseveres.

8 Love never fails.
NIV

So? :shrug:

ImmortalFlame

Woke gremlin
Are they? It's my opinion that if Dawkins had his way, theism would be outlawed. His bigotry when it comes to religion is not only accepted but embraced by many in the atheistic community including many right here on RF. It's just as detestable as bigotry leveled towards gays, women or anyone else.
Mmmm, that's good hyperbole!

Iti oj

Global warming is real and we need to act
Premium Member
Its also a matter of which god and the caims about him

Scuba Pete

You have no authority over language.
I never claimed to have such. I still find such an outlook of love as being pathetic. Most people use love and like interchangeably. I like the Greek words best: Agape and phileo do a better job of distinguishing love from like.

Indeed. When you subscribe to the pathetic, the real deal often leaves you speechless.

Koldo

Outstanding Member
I never claimed to have such. I still find such an outlook of love as being pathetic. Most people use love and like interchangeably. I like the Greek words best: Agape and phileo do a better job of distinguishing love from like.

Indeed. When you subscribe to the pathetic, the real deal often leaves you speechless.

I don't particularly care whether you find certain outlooks to be pathetic.
If you can not support that it is pathetic for any given reason other than your opinion then you don't even have an argument to begin with.

waitasec

Veteran Member

People can be pretty short sighted when it comes to religion and I am talking about those both for and against. The same laws that protect religion from us also protect us from religion.

no i think if dawkins had his way theism would be rationalized. but what i find interesting is that dawkins represents a threat to god...how can that be?
he's just a person...or, do you think he is the devil?

Scuba Pete said:
It's my opinion that if Dawkins had his way, theism would be outlawed.
Nonsense. Evidence, please. Dawkins has always supported freedom of conscience and speech, e.g. when Tim Tebow made that pro-life Superbowl commercial. Dawkins was asked by some newspaper to respond to the commercial, and while he disagreed with the commercial's message he also pointed out that, of course, it goes without saying Tebow has the right to express his views and air this commercial.

waitasec

Veteran Member
I pointed out why in post 389.

this is post 316....
post 289 is Alceste's post.

which was a great post and i don't think you responded to it

I've got no issue with this opinion. I think it's a lovely sentiment. :) Your tone toward "atheists" in this thread, which seems to me to lump them together as a group that seems to you to be deficient in love and compassion, was what I was referring to. Might it be a side effect of believing God is love that leads you to assume that to be without God is to be without love?

Scuba Pete

Mea culpa... it's back there and I am packing for Cozumel. This gives me the opportunity to brag about that yet once more as well as to avoid having to go look for the post. :D