• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism has to face the fact that it's agnostic

outhouse

Atheistically
There is nothing about my atheism that is any part agnostic in any way shape or form.

I see exactly how man created all deities to date, and how they evolved in different cultures always, ALWAYS mirroring the culture who created the deity.

Alceste

Vagabond
Actually it would mean="I know that I don't believe in deity/deities

It's actually redundant. Why not just say 'atheist".

Agnostic atheist: doesn't believe in gods, doesn't believe the question of the existence of gods can ever be resolved.

Gnostic atheist: doesn't believe in gods, believes the question of gods' existence can be (or is already) resolved.

Alceste

Vagabond
There is nothing about my atheism that is any part agnostic in any way shape or form.

I see exactly how man created all deities to date, and how they evolved in different cultures always, ALWAYS mirroring the culture who created the deity.

Another notch in the bed post for gnostic atheism. :D

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
Agnostic atheist: doesn't believe in gods, doesn't believe the question of the existence of gods can ever be resolved.

Gnostic atheist: doesn't believe in gods, believes the question of gods' existence can be (or is already) resolved.

Nope, gnostic only deals with knowledge, not belief.

Falvlun

Earthbending Lemur
Premium Member
That works for me, then we can apply that to theism. I would prefer that system actually.
a.believe/theist/
b.disbelieve/atheist/
c.don't know/agnostic/

theres no combining with that stipulation though!!

Except that some atheists and some theists don't claim to know. For instance, I believe that gods don't exist. But I wouldn't say that I know that.

I thought Alceste explained the distinction well in post 64.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
That's why there's two words there: one that deals with knowledge and one that deals with belief.

Only if they're separate, notice what happened when combined, it took away the meaning of gnostic, basically, because atheism is disbelief specifically.

/unitized/gnostic-atheist= know that I don't believe in deities...it's redundant..it just reverts to the definition of atheist.

separate/gnostic,atheist= I can know, and disbelieve..this is o.k. when separate, but it doesn't mean know there are no deities, simply that one believes in the possibility of knowing that.

outhouse

Atheistically
Another notch in the bed post for gnostic atheism. :D

Im not much for classification of my lack of belief in mythological characters ;)

I think the OP should be changed to all theist should be labeled as agnostic. makes as much sense as the OP.

Alceste

Vagabond
Only if they're separate, notice what happened when combined, it took away the meaning of gnostic, basically, because atheism is disbelief specifically.

/unitized/gnostic-atheist= know that I don't believe in deities...it's redundant..it just reverts to the definition of atheist.

separate/gnostic,atheist= I can know, and disbelieve..this is o.k. when separate, but it doesn't mean know there are no deities, simply that one believes in the possibility of knowing that.

You've got it the wrong way around. It's not simply that I know I don't believe. I don't believe in any deities because I know they are part myth, part psychological projection.

One can believe in deities while knowing they are part myth, part projection.

Hence the need for using both words.

Desert Snake

Veteran Member
You've got it the wrong way around. It's not simply that I know I don't believe. I don't believe in any deities because I know they are part myth, part psychological projection.

One can believe in deities while knowing they are part myth, part projection.

Hence the need for using both words.

What a mess.:D