• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

atheism and death

Kangaroo Feathers

Yea, it is written in the Book of Cyril...
Our mental processes are downloaded into the magnetic field for approximately 400 years or less, depending on how long the delivery ship takes to collect us.

Our conscious energy is transferred to large FTL batteries by the Transferrus race, which seeded us and terraformed the earth to evolve into their battery systems 400 million years ago.

Generally, a human consciousness battery lasts about 12.7 quilbarx, but I don't know how that scales in terms of our measurements.
DCgVIr0VwAUaPcB.jpg

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
Supposing what you say, consciousness is generated by the physical brain, so at death: poof. No more consciousness, no more mind, no more self.

I reject this view because it seems to me consciousness is not physical. Merely declaring it to be an illusion created by the brain or an emergent property of matter; these arguments are not convincing. Therefore, dualism is correct, and there is a spiritual realm apart from the physical realm containing at least consciousness and its contents (thoughts, ideas, feelings, sense of self, etc).
So you're inventing an entire plane of existence to reconcile what we observe with your gut feelings?

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Supposing what you say, consciousness is generated by the physical brain, so at death: poof. No more consciousness, no more mind, no more self.

I reject this view because it seems to me consciousness is not physical. Merely declaring it to be an illusion created by the brain or an emergent property of matter; these arguments are not convincing. Therefore, dualism is correct , and there is a spiritual realm apart from the physical realm containing at least consciousness and its contents (thoughts, ideas, feelings, sense of self, etc).

That doesn't follow at all. Not even remotely.

The only thing that would result in such conclusion (dualism is correct) would be evidence of this supposed non-physical thing.

But, we only have evidence of a physical brain. We have plenty of evidence that changes to the physical brain cause changes in consciousness.

So no evidence at all points to dualism and the evidence we DO have points to consciousness being produced by the brain. Does that mean brain = consciousness is absolute correct and dualism being absolute wrong? No. But it does make it far more likely.

But the absolue main point here.... even if there would be NO evidence at all for brain = consciousness (which, again, is not the case at all), then you'ld still require positive evidence FOR dualism. Which you do not have. At all.