• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Atheism: A bastardized word

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Materialism is related closely to science in that they both only accept the existence of the material/physical realm.

How does one ascertain that without a deity?

Unless one feels deities are the source of the supernatural and mysticism and no one can experience it without some form of deity involved.

George-ananda

Advaita Vedanta, Theosophy, Spiritualism
Premium Member
How does one ascertain that without a deity?

Unless one feels deities are the source of the supernatural and mysticism and no one can experience it without some form of deity involved.
I'm not sure I understand your questions.

Materialist-atheists do not accept the existence of the so-called supernatural or transcendent mystical experiences whatever the source.

You are right that straight up atheists can still believe in the supernatural or the transcendent mystical but this seems to rarely be the case for western society atheists as they are predominantly materialists.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
I'm not sure I understand your questions.

Materialist-atheists do not accept the existence of the so-called supernatural or transcendent mystical experiences whatever the source.

You are right that straight up atheists can still believe in the supernatural or the transcendent mystical but this seems to rarely be the case for western society atheists as they are predominantly materialists.

Sorry. I meant that an atheists (rather) and atheism doesn't imply materialism. One can be mystic or believe in the supernatural without belief in deities.

Speaking of atheism in general and those who identify as not believing in deities without reference to materialism. I say that because atheism doesn't imply materialism so I assume some atheists don't fall on that only because they don't believe deities exist...

In other words... atheism doesn't invalidate mysticism and supernatural. People can experience these things and more without deities involved. Though a lot of atheists are materialists that doesn't mean atheism is defined by it.

Last edited:

George-ananda

Premium Member
Sorry. I meant that an atheism and atheism doesn't imply materialism. One can be mystic or believe in the supernatural without belief in deities.
Understand that I agree with that.

BUT, but show me anyone on this forum that strongly waves the Atheism Flag that believes in the supernatural and transcendent mystical.

The fact that Atheism and the supernatural and transcendent mystical belief is such a rare combination the association between atheism and materialism is often assumed.

One can be an atheist and believe in spirits for example but I rarely see that.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
Understand that I agree with that.

BUT, but show me anyone on this forum that strongly waves the Atheism Flag that believes in the supernatural and transcendent mystical.

The fact that Atheism and the supernatural and transcendent mystical belief is such a rare combination the association between atheism and materialism is often assumed.

One can be an atheist and believe in spirits for example but I rarely see that.

But the definition doesn't depend on people's opinions. I believe in mysticism and supernatural. I even believe that my ancestors and close loved ones are alive energetically. I just don't believe deities exist.

There's probably a rare minority of atheists who do not add more to the word than disbelief in god, but that's essentially word the word means. People can add, subtract, and interpret the definition in many ways but that doesn't change what the word actually means.

George-ananda

Premium Member
But the definition doesn't depend on people's opinions. I believe in mysticism and supernatural. I even believe that my ancestors and close loved ones are alive energetically. I just don't believe deities exist.

There's probably a rare minority of atheists who do not add more to the word than disbelief in god, but that's essentially word the word means. People can add, subtract, and interpret the definition in many ways but that doesn't change what the word actually means.
So you are an atheist that believes in spirits. That's kind of rare as you noted.

I am of non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hindu philosophy and believe in spiritual planes. I think the Abrahamic God concept has some issues but I would never refer to myself as an atheist but a conservative Christian might.

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
So you are an atheist that believes in spirits. That's kind of rare as you noted.

I am of non-dual (God and creation are not-two) Hindu philosophy and believe in spiritual planes. I think the Abrahamic God concept has some issues but I would never refer to myself as an atheist but a conservative Christian might.

@George-ananda

These are a few of my experience relating to not being a materialist yet without belief in deities. Side note.

lukethethird

unknown member
Well, atheism doesn't mean "lack of belief in deities" for starters. ...End of rant. :)
What difference does it make if deities exist or not? Apparently, none since they aren't relevant to anything that matters. What a waste of a rant.

PureX

Veteran Member
@PureX here is another reason why its hard for atheist to defend god.

How do you get over this loophole?
A general definition of God is readily available: God is the mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that it. The vast majority of theists will accept this definition, even though they will disagree on many of the particulars.

ratiocinator

Lightly seared on the reality grill.
A general definition of God is readily available: God is the mystery source, sustenance, and purpose of all that it. The vast majority of theists will accept this definition, even though they will disagree on many of the particulars.

Do you have the statistical evidence that the "vast majority of theists will accept this definition"?

Regardless, although that definition is vague to the point of being all but meaningless, it's still something that needs some justification for its (apparently) baseless assumptions. How do you know there is a purpose at all, or that the 'sustenance of all that is', is actually a thing?

I'm sure atheists will admit there is a mystery about existence but the other baggage seems devoid of merit or meaning. A mystery is a mystery. We don't know, and we probably never will when it comes to the basis of existence, so why does it matter?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

It's foreign to atheist who don't believe in the supernatural. God, hy definition, is a deity not an abstract mystical concept.

Unfortunately you're not taking into account religions like Hinduism have totally different God. So far I know they wouldn't believe there is a "source" as described by abrahamic theist so the particulars are irrelevant.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member
I don't know if bastardized is a curse word according to RF, but the context is pretty much the same. Why or what is the reasoning of aligning atheism with science and common atheist "opinions about" science?

Just because atheists have opinions and attached to science as opposed to theists doesn't change that the word atheism just means lack of belief that deities (Jehovah, Thor, etc) exist.

One of the consequences of adding more things to this word-both of theist and atheist alike-gives the impression that, from a religious view, it is in opposition to religious norms and outlook. In other words, to some theists, atheism challenges the religious view of belief in deities. On the atheist point of view, unless my basic understanding is off, they seem to associate atheism with science, rejection of the christian god, and things of that nature. Both sides (in my opinion) seem to bastardize a word because of their own experiences (say indoctrination) or biases and cognitive dissonance (such as the uncomfortable and defensive response of being challenged that they 'may not' be deities).

Why or what is the reasoning of aligning atheism with science and common atheist "opinions about" science?

In addition, I understand that it is hard to believe no gods exist but I don't understand the need to find outstanding justifications for it. I don't know.

Rant over.

Enjoy.
It isn't that atheism is necessarily that associated with science; it's that theism is in opposition to science, generally.

9-10ths_Penguin

1/10 Subway Stalinist
Premium Member

If you've found something to believe in that works for you, great, but it's presumptuous and myopic of you to present your personal beliefs as some sort of "general definition."

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member

According to who? Hindus, from what I gather, does not share that view at all in relation to any abrahamic sense of the term.

This is just your definition of it. Like many religious people they try to say that "everyone believes in (our) god just differently." They're not (and maybe can't) figure that people just don't have any connection with Their god... not by belief, not by fact, not by culture, and not by history. No connection.

Why can't universalist get that?

Unveiled Artist

Veteran Member
It isn't that atheism is necessarily that associated with science; it's that theism is in opposition to science, generally.

How so? Many atheists say they are atheist because they dropped theism for science. I would think if it wasn't attached to science atheist can just drop theism and believe in any number of other mystical and supernatural religions. In other words, atheism isn't the opposite of spiritual beliefs just gods' existences.

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Why or what is the reasoning of aligning atheism with science and common atheist "opinions about" science?
The Enlightenment begins in the 17th century and is still a work in progress. It represents a change of attitude, an explaining of nature by looking at it and analyzing it. By the end of the 18th century we find the beginnings of textual criticism of the bible ─ that is, analysis of the text rather than the earlier synthetic views (which still abound). By 1800 geology has already upset churchmen by disagreeing with the bible, and the study of nature and fossils diminishes the educated person's expectation that God is involved. Thus (for example) Tennyson, who's been reading Lyell's Principles of Geology and about fossils writes earlier than 1844 of the difficulties that science was already presenting to faith in those days ─

‘ So careful of the type [species] ? ’ but no.
From scarpèd cliff and quarried stone
She cries ‘ a thousand types are gone :​
I care for nothing, all shall go.

Thou makest thine appeal to me :
I bring to life, I bring to death :
The spirit does but mean the breath :​
I know no more. ’ And he, shall he,

Man, her last work, who seem’d so fair,
Such splendid purpose in his eyes,
Who roll’d the psalm to wintry skies,​
Who built him fanes of fruitless prayer,

Who trusted God was love indeed
And love Creation’s final law—
Tho’ Nature, red in tooth and claw​
With ravine, shriek’d against his creed—

Who loved, who suffer’d countless ills,
Who battled for the True, the Just,
Be blown about the desert dust,​
Or seal’d within the iron hills ?

No more ? A monster then, a dream,
A discord. Dragons of the prime,
That tare [tore] each other in their slime,​
Were mellow music match’d with him.

O life as futile, then, as frail !
O for thy voice to soothe and bless !
What hope of answer, or redress ?​
Behind the veil, behind the veil.​

The smarter and better educated you were, the more the Argument from Design had seemed extremely powerful, outright necessary, to explain nature; there MUST be a God. Now it seemed that God wasn't so necessary afterwards. And this had already been the scene for decades when Origin of Species hit the shelves in 1859, in effect confirming all the doubts. The 19th century saw not only books written for the educated layman on scientific topics but also the coming to popularity of the public lecture on many matters including science, and the most interesting were reported in the press, so the whole of the middle class was exposed to the debates on a constant basis.

The rise of science has had religious consequences from the start, moving authority from God and [his] churches and into the hands of reasoned enquiry.

Hence even now a whole lot of religions hate the theory of evolution ─ they make it more personal and 160 years out of date by hating Darwin ─ because it confounds the Argument from Design and the relevance of gods.

Last edited:

lukethethird

unknown member
I don't believe in God for precisely and exactly the same reason I don't believe in Santa
Claus, it's child's play.

PureX

Veteran Member
I don't believe in God for precisely and exactly the same reason I don't believe in Santa
Claus, it's child's play.
Of course it's not "child's play". What you meant was that it's "make-believe". And yet "make-believe" among adults is called 'artifice'; an elaborate form of conceptualization and communication used to better understand and share experience of being human.

PureX

Veteran Member
According to who? Hindus, from what I gather, does not share that view at all in relation to any abrahamic sense of the term.
Nevertheless, the Hindus have the concept of 'Atman'. A kind of universal godhead from which all the other 'god natures' spring.
This is just your definition of it.
No, it's A definition of it. One that most theists can and would accept.
Like many religious people they try to say that "everyone believes in (our) god just differently." They're not (and maybe can't) figure that people just don't have any connection with Their god... not by belief, not by fact, not by culture, and not by history. No connection.
They recognize that the vast majority of human beings hold a similar essential concept of God as being the source, sustenance, and purpose of all that is. It's YOU who is the anomaly that cannot accept this as a fact of human nature.
Why can't universalist get that?
They do. It's you who isn't "getting it".

PureX

Veteran Member
If you've found something to believe in that works for you, great, but it's presumptuous and myopic of you to present your personal beliefs as some sort of "general definition."
I am not presenting my "beliefs", here. I am simply presenting a universally acceptable definition of "God". One that the atheists here seem to have to somehow discredit by whatever argument they can muster. As you are trying to do.