• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Astronomy & Esoteric Astrology in the Gospels?

Nefelie

There are strong indications that the four Gospels of the Cannon have a hidden story:

that of the Sun’s travel in each constellation of the zodiac, within a solar year.

The purpose of this story is:

a) as simple as to teach astronomy

and

b) to show and teach the esoteric journey from mortality to immortality.

This is a “recipe” used many times before by the older religions, especially the ancient Greek religion.

Maybe it was used again by the authors of the Gospels?

lovesong

:D
Premium Member
Interesting idea, can you explain it more in depth? What do those books of the bible say exactly about astronomy and how do you think that might have been used? I know very little about astrology but the idea that the bible might contain, as you say, "the esoteric journey from mortality to immortality" is something that sounds interesting to pick at.

Willamena

Just me
Premium Member
I know the story of astrology, but almost nothing about the Bible. I'd like to see examples.

Nefelie

I’m happy you are interested :)

First of, take a look at this photos:

dekoulou_zodiac_3.jpg

This one is from the church in the Monastery of The Saviour in Mani (Greece). More details here

5b57daf2c4b0a0f38df4c3b3f3c5b3a1.jpg

This one is from the church in the Monastery of Barsana in Romania.

2_21.jpg

This one is from a church in Bulgaria

...And so so many more. Just google images "the zodiac in churches" and you will be surprised by the results ;)

Now as from the Gospels, here is just one example out of many:

1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, 2 Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find a donkey tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me. 3 And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them. 4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, 5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon a donkey, and a colt the foal of an donkey. 6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them, 7 And brought the donkey, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.
[Mt. 21:1-7]​

So, Jesus sat on both the colt and the donkey? Weird, huh?

Now lets go to Astronomy:

As the Sun moves from the house of Cancer and has nearly moved into Leo's house, it looks like if it’s “riding” the two brightest stars of the constellation of Cancer. In ancient times and in accordance with the Babylonian names of the constellations, the two stars of Cancer (schematically the “claws” of the crab) are called “donkey” and “colt”. Their official names today, are “Assellus Borealis” and “Asellus Australis”, meaning “north and south donkey” respectively.

As for the hidden esoteric meaning of the scene:

This scene is referring to the cooperation of the mortal Mind with the immortal Soul with the help of the Spirit. The sole (female donkey) symbolizes the perfect Immortal Soul because it is the living embodiment of commodity, labor and patient. Her offspring, the colt, symbolizes the perfect mortal Mind because he posses all of his mother’s qualities but is still young, restless and impatient.
The spirit, which is Christ, in this metaphor unites and leads them both to cooperation. All three together entering Jerusalem, the holiest city. The metaphor does not mean anything more than the already repeatedly mentioned lesson: only with the cooperation of the Mind and Soul through the Spirit, man can achieve the ultimate goal, which is the "Kingdom of Heaven".

Ingledsva

HEATHEN ALASKAN

There are strong indications that the four Gospels of the Cannon have a hidden story:

that of the Sun’s travel in each constellation of the zodiac, within a solar year.

The purpose of this story is:

a) as simple as to teach astronomy

and

b) to show and teach the esoteric journey from mortality to immortality.

This is a “recipe” used many times before by the older religions, especially the ancient Greek religion.

Maybe it was used again by the authors of the Gospels?

And it goes much farther back. Here are a couple more picture for your collection.

YHVH in his Solar Chariot, surrounded by the zodiac. From a 6th century synagogue at Beit Alpha.

Beit_Alpha.jpg

jewishLearning-zodiac.jpg

Sepphoris Synagogue mosaic.

e7770c1942ee30171f3e8fc10246f36a.jpg

I've been told that "Mazel tov” is related to the zodiac and actually means something like “a good constellation,” or "under a good sign."

Last edited:

idav

Being
Premium Member
I’m happy you are interested :)

First of, take a look at this photos:

dekoulou_zodiac_3.jpg

This one is from the church in the Monastery of The Saviour in Mani (Greece). More details here

5b57daf2c4b0a0f38df4c3b3f3c5b3a1.jpg

This one is from the church in the Monastery of Barsana in Romania.

2_21.jpg

This one is from a church in Bulgaria

...And so so many more. Just google images "the zodiac in churches" and you will be surprised by the results ;)

Now as from the Gospels, here is just one example out of many:

1 And when they drew nigh unto Jerusalem, and were come to Bethphage, unto the mount of Olives, then sent Jesus two disciples, 2 Saying unto them, Go into the village over against you, and straightway ye shall find a donkey tied, and a colt with her: loose them, and bring them unto me. 3 And if any man say ought unto you, ye shall say, The Lord hath need of them; and straightway he will send them. 4 All this was done, that it might be fulfilled which was spoken by the prophet, saying, 5 Tell ye the daughter of Sion, Behold, thy King cometh unto thee, meek, and sitting upon a donkey, and a colt the foal of an donkey. 6 And the disciples went, and did as Jesus commanded them, 7 And brought the donkey, and the colt, and put on them their clothes, and they set him thereon.
[Mt. 21:1-7]​

So, Jesus sat on both the colt and the donkey? Weird, huh?

Now lets go to Astronomy:

As the Sun moves from the house of Cancer and has nearly moved into Leo's house, it looks like if it’s “riding” the two brightest stars of the constellation of Cancer. In ancient times and in accordance with the Babylonian names of the constellations, the two stars of Cancer (schematically the “claws” of the crab) are called “donkey” and “colt”. Their official names today, are “Assellus Borealis” and “Asellus Australis”, meaning “north and south donkey” respectively.

As for the hidden esoteric meaning of the scene:

This scene is referring to the cooperation of the mortal Mind with the immortal Soul with the help of the Spirit. The sole (female donkey) symbolizes the perfect Immortal Soul because it is the living embodiment of commodity, labor and patient. Her offspring, the colt, symbolizes the perfect mortal Mind because he posses all of his mother’s qualities but is still young, restless and impatient.
The spirit, which is Christ, in this metaphor unites and leads them both to cooperation. All three together entering Jerusalem, the holiest city. The metaphor does not mean anything more than the already repeatedly mentioned lesson: only with the cooperation of the Mind and Soul through the Spirit, man can achieve the ultimate goal, which is the "Kingdom of Heaven".

These are great.

It wouldn't surprise me if they put mysticism behind the stars. They only named all the constellations after gods.

Nefelie

I've been told that "Mazel tov” is related to the zodiac and actually means something like “a good constellation,” or "under a good sign."

That's interesting! I'll look in up :)

Unless one of the Jewish members can help us...?

Sleeppy

Fatalist. Christian. Pacifist.
Seems completely reasonable to me. I'm not going to remember the 3 wise men and say these people weren't into what they obviously were.

Nefelie

The Wise Men in Mt. 2:1-2
Shortly after the birth of Jesus, it is mentioned that from the east bearing gifts Wise Men visited the infant, following the star of the east.

Traditionally and from further research of the NT scholars, it is considered that the Magi came from Persia.

But there is a paradox: Persia is located northeast of Judea. If someone is in Persia and wants to go to Judea, he should move southwest. If he moves east, he will be get somewhere in Inner Asia, China or India, but certainly not in Judea.
So, how is it possible that the Persian Wise Men followed the star to the east and got to Judea? Of course, it is impossible.
But the answer is in the sky:

Three of the brightest stars of the constellation of Orion are what create the famous "belt of Orion" and are characteristics that help us to immediately locate the constellation Orion in the sky. These three stars, that are in line and very close to each other, are traditionally called “the three kings” or “the three wise men”.

11aug25_430.jpg

Once the sun sets on the second day after the winter solstice (December 24), seen in the East are the "three kings" of Orion. Below is Sirius, in perfect alignment with the three stars and the point of the east which later the Sun will arise. So it appears as if three stars follow one larger to finally “get them” to the Sun [Mt. 3:1].

A few hours before the morning of December 25, rises the constellation Virgo, occupying the entire eastern horizon. The brightest star of Virgo, Spica, the so called “sprout”, is well displayed aligned with the "three kings", Sirius and where later the Sun will rise. While sunrise, "the sprout of the Virgin" is located directly above.

Note: Being stars, the Wise Men could not follow a different from their original course, 'turning back' to Herod. So, they had to continue their journey west [Mt. 2:12]

;)