• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assuming God Loves, How do We Know God Loves?

blü 2

Veteran Member
Premium Member
Assuming a god both exists and loves, how do we know that god loves? I mean, I am justly convinced it would experience love because it would behold me, but are there any better reasons than that for supposing it would love?
Qualities such as love (justice, kindness, inclusion &c) are attributed to the subject (or denied to the subject) depending on how the subject acts (and, perhaps to an exaggerated extent, speaks).

If I love someone and it's in my power to spare them injury, loss, suffering, and so on, I get about doing it.

But God neither says nor does. Only humans relevantly say and do.

That this implies no God is ruled out here by the stipulation of God in the OP.

So instead it implies either total impotence or total indifference.

It certainly doesn't imply love.

(Some say it demonstrates that God has a deep arcane plan for everyone's ultimate good that we'd all applaud if only we were smart enough to understand it ─ to which the only thoughtful and well-reasoned reply is, Phooey!)

Scott C.

Just one guy
Assuming a god both exists and loves, how do we know that god loves? I mean, I am justly convinced it would experience love because it would behold me, but are there any better reasons than that for supposing it would love?

We know God loves us the same way we know that others love us. They tell us. They demonstrate it. We feel it.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
We exist out of absolute love.
I fully agree.

3: O SON OF MAN! Veiled in My immemorial being and in the ancient eternity of My essence, I knew My love for thee; therefore I created thee, have engraved on thee Mine image and revealed to thee My beauty. The Hidden Words of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 4
God does not directly intervene with a power to change, but through mediators, us. Not the power to change or interrupt laws of nature.
I fully agree. :)

Last edited:

Bird123

A Being capable of creating universes has to be very smart.

I see you do not realize, being where you are in your journey, that Unconditional Love is the only intelligent choice one can make. It is really the only viable choice. Given enough time and lessons, this will become clear for everyone.

That's what I see. It's very clear!!