• Welcome to Religious Forums, a friendly forum to discuss all religions in a friendly surrounding.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Our modern chat room. No add-ons or extensions required, just login and start chatting!
    • Access to private conversations with other members.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Assuming God Loves, How do We Know God Loves?

Vinayaka

devotee
Premium Member
Assuming a god both exists and loves, how do we know that god loves? I mean, I am justly convinced it would experience love because it would behold me, but are there any better reasons than that for supposing it would love?

A person (a spouse, Mother, a friend) who loves you can hug you, give you solace, share some wisdom, care for you, and cheer you up. You walk away with a certain feeling from such experiences. We can say that that person loves you. If you sit in front of God (I'm a Hindu, I do that) and you come out of that experience feeling very similar to the way you did coming out of the experience with the person, isn't it logical to conclude it was God's love that did the trick?

pearl

I think that makes sense to believe God loves us because why else would God create us?

I Jn 4:8,16 does not state that God loves, but that God is love. And I would suggest that God is not all powerful in the way that has come to be understood.

TagliatelliMonster

Veteran Member
Well, God gave us all a fighting chance at surviving the way we have to survive right?

Did he?
Seems to me plenty of humans, and other animals, are born without any chance of survival at all.

Or God just plain took it all away from us to see how we would respond to the total absence of heaven.

God's eviction notice was to come up with everything all on your own and see how you like being all on your own. Appreciate the little stuff!

Instead of being a spoiled angel. Basking in the safety of God's virtues!

Tough love I would say!

Or does humanity just plain offend God. I don't know! There is a lot of nasty stuff out there amidst all the good.

Your call!!!

Plenty of that nasty stuff is only nasty from your perspective.
An eyeball eating parasite is pretty nasty, if you are a human - especially so if you get infected by it.
Not so much if you are the parasite.

DKH

Sunstone said:
Assuming God Loves, How do We Know God Loves?

Because, God hasn't allowed the human race to completely destroy itself…So, when we review human history and the present affairs of our world today, we can only wonder why we're still here. Well, this clearly shows that God has intervened and loves us.

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
Who did it?

Ciao

- viole
What is the origin of the coronavirus disease?

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

However, the exact source of this virus is unknown.

Sep 1, 2020
About COVID-19

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
So did humans. But many religiously faithful say otherwise
Baha'is do not believe in creationism, we believe humans evolved, but that humans have always been a distinct species.
That is a complex subject that would require a lot of explaining.

While ʻAbdu'l-Bahá states that man progressed through many stages before reaching this present form, ʻAbdu'l-Bahá states that humans are a distinct species, and not an animal, and that in every stage of evolution through which humans progressed, they were potentially humans.

Baháʼí Faith and science - Wikipedia

MNoBody

Assuming a god both exists and loves, how do we know that god loves? I mean, I am justly convinced it would experience love because it would behold me, but are there any better reasons than that for supposing it would love?

sounds like people forgot that the stories depict this entire dimension as a place of exile,
a sort of lesson to stupid kids who won't listen to Dad,
and need to have some experience in consequences.....
thus the whole story of man, struggling along,
other religions say it is a wheel of suffering and the goal is to escape and never incarnate in this dimension again, unless one reaches the place of the bodhisattva who decides to return,
for the sake of those still stuck in this maggot pit

Trailblazer

Veteran Member
so there is another force, besides "GOD" that has creative power in this universe?
Who said that God has creative power?
I believe that creation has always existed, it was not created:

“As to thy question concerning the origin of creation. Know assuredly that God’s creation hath existed from eternity, and will continue to exist forever. Its beginning hath had no beginning, and its end knoweth no end. His name, the Creator, presupposeth a creation, even as His title, the Lord of Men, must involve the existence of a servant.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 150

MNoBody

Who said that God has creative power?
I believe that creation has always existed, it was not created:

“As to thy question concerning the origin of creation. Know assuredly that God’s creation hath existed from eternity, and will continue to exist forever. Its beginning hath had no beginning, and its end knoweth no end. His name, the Creator, presupposeth a creation, even as His title, the Lord of Men, must involve the existence of a servant.”
Gleanings From the Writings of Bahá’u’lláh, p. 150
apparently not you.
thanks for clearing that up.

halbhh

The wonder and awe of "all things".
Well, I guess He loves the Ebola virus too, then.

Ciao

- viole
If you know your temporary body (temporary shell) could die any day, any hour even, it helps focus the mind on what is most important.

Don't you agree?

If you sincerely thought you'd live 100,000 years (with peak health though the first 90,000 and all body function at 100% etc.), you would not need to focus much, or not feel much like it, to get the most subtle...otherly... key thing right, but could just take opportunities as they happen, like eating a tub of ice cream, etc., without caring some things/paths/choices are mistakes that lead you away from the best in you (and you already sense it at times in subtle hesitations and such), since in that 100,000 year situation, one could think: "there is plenty of time to try and find out, and have 'fun' (take the easy sugar rush)" and so on. In time, a person would be highly lost from their more soulful self, and more artificial...mannered, playing on airs, always on the hunt, and so on. (worst case: Those years of 'hungry like the wolf' would go on and on, till the heartbreak was too much, and one decided to end it, maybe at 60 or 150.)

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
If you know your temporary body (temporary shell) could die any day, any hour even, it helps focus the mind on what is most important.

Don't you agree?

If you sincerely thought you'd live 100,000 years (with peak health though the first 90,000 and all body function at 100% etc.), you would not need to focus much, or not feel much like it, to get the most subtle...otherly... key thing right, but could just take opportunities as they happen, like eating a tub of ice cream, etc., without caring some things/paths/choices are mistakes that lead you away from the best in you (and you already sense it at times in subtle hesitations and such), since in that 100,000 year situation, one could think: "there is plenty of time to try and find out, and have 'fun' (take the easy sugar rush)" and so on. In time, a person would be highly lost from their more soulful self, and more artificial...mannered, playing on airs, always on the hunt, and so on. (worst case: Those years of 'hungry like the wolf' would go on and on, till the heartbreak was too much, and one decided to end it, maybe at 60 or 150.)
How is that relevant? Or in any way defeating the case that god loves the Ebola virus, too?
Ciao
- viole

viole

Ontological Naturalist
Premium Member
What is the origin of the coronavirus disease?

The SARS-CoV-2 virus is a betacoronavirus, like MERS-CoV and SARS-CoV. All three of these viruses have their origins in bats. The sequences from U.S. patients are similar to the one that China initially posted, suggesting a likely single, recent emergence of this virus from an animal reservoir.

However, the exact source of this virus is unknown.

Sep 1, 2020
About COVID-19

what about older viruses? Or even bacteria? What about the bubonic plague bacteria? Who created them? Medieval China?

ciao

- viole